Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Binaral soundtrack for sleep
Binaral soundtrack for sleep
For a long time I've been using a certain late night talk show when going to bed.  Not that I need it to go to sleep:  I am usually out within three minutes of putting on the mask and turning out lights.  I  just turn it on as background noise and drift off (I found the recently departed hostess' voice and tone soothing).  It was more of a comforting thing than a necessity.  And that's all good and fine but I usually awake within a few hours of going to sleep and find myself unable to go back to sleep.  If it was early enough, I would turn that show back on and see if it would help lull me back into the arms of Morpheus.  Sometimes helped, usually didn't.

But recently I've noticed a service advertising on TV (online app called Calm); mostly a pay subscription app and I'm too cheap to pay for something that I'm not convinced will work.  So I've been also poking around at other apps that promise "soothing" sound tracks like rain, wind, surf, distant train horn, katydids, frogs, clock ticking, white noise selections, etc. etc.

Leaving aside these "soothing sound" tracks (I don't really seek comment on them), my interest was piqued by something they call "binaural"  tracks - listened to in headphones - kind of a drone sound with each ear at a slightly different frequency (why you need earphones, not open speakers) that stimulate your brain at various frequency ranges or stages.   Supposedly different ranges for different impacts (deep sleep, lucid dreaming, some for treating fatigue, some for concentration/ADD, mood elevation, etc.)

Are there any folks on this list that have used such binaural tracks, successfully or unsuccessfully, for sleep management/maintenance that can share their experiences?

I know it's not specifically CPAP related, but it hits in a kind of tangential way.  Thanks for indulging.

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Binaral soundtrack for sleep
I used to use a simple white noise generator machine. I had it set to begin at a modest volume and gradually quiet over 2 hours. Some of the sounds were very good, others not so much.
Similar apps are available for free to be run on devices like the Amazon Echo and Google Home, but I've found far less consistency in how "good" these are... one of the "rain forest" tracks has a sharp "crack" that hits about every 5 minutes that makes it really useless for sleepy time.
IMHO, the self-contained machine with speaker is the best way to go.

"pay subscription", "advertised on TV", and especially improperly used terms like "binaural" tend to get my Spidey Senses tingling about it being a scam.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Binaural recording is a method of recording sound that uses two microphones, arranged with the intent to create a 3-D stereo sound sensation for the listener of actually being in the room with the performers or instruments. It only works with headphones. How it would be better than an ordinary stereo track for helping with sleep I can't even guess at. I've heard binaural recordings and they are quite amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding of these binaural recordings is that there are different tones played in each ear which creates a 'wobble' sound in your head. Headphones must be used. The theory is that your brain waves will sync up with that wobble, so all the person designing the tracks has to do is pick a good frequency of the wobble, and boom, your brain with start 'wobbling' in a good way. I think the science behind it was questionable when I researched it about ten years ago, not sure how far it's come since then.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used some meditation tapes that allegedly had it in the background. I didn't notice any difference, really.

As for background sounds, I'm using WhiteNoise app from Google Play (and on my desktop) to mix sounds together. Like, I have pink noise, a shower running, and chirping frogs. Puts me right to sleep. The pink noise is what totally masks my tinnitus. (first time I heard it, I almost cried because it masked the tone and roar wonderfully) The shower sound blocks everything else, and the frogs are just because I like them. LOL. The app/software is by TMSoft. Just Google "TMSoft White noise".

You can put in one sound or a bunch, then move their location. I have the frogs further away so their sounds are further away when I listen.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - I'll check it out.  I've loaded up a couple others - did not check that one out as I was not really looking for "white noise" (my employer has white noise generators in the ceilings at the office - hate it - thank God we figured out where the controller was in the electrical/network closet and can turn it WAY down).

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Just remember, headphones must be used which makes binaural tracks not ideal for sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2018, 08:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm using WhiteNoise app ... by TMSoft.
I use this as well, played on my iPhone speakers (or you could use a bluetooth or wired speaker). It comes with a lot of sounds, and you can download many more for free from the companion "Market" app. Many are recorded/mixed/contributed by other users.

My wife loves the sound of rain; on Market we had dozens of rain sounds to choose from and found the perfect one for her. We listen to it on my phone when we're sleeping in a hotel with bad background noise (or no background noise, which can be worse...!) Me: I prefer the sound of a babbling brook. Whatever floats you boat (and yes, there's a sound of a boat gently creaking in its dock...)
Post Reply Post Reply
There's rumored to be a hypnotic tone of voice a person's wife uses when reciting the Honey-do list that can put you to sleep quickly. It's also rumored the guy that told me that sleeps with Spot in the back yard. Headphones not included or needed.
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, I don't remember telling you about that?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.