Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Biotene (for dry mouth)
Biotene (for dry mouth)
Has anyone out their on the board used biotene dry mouth gell for their dry mouth from using a FFM? - I read about it, and it sounds like it might work, but hate to shell out 8 bucks if it does not work well. I just starting using a FFM, and really, my only issue is the severe dry mouth - the humidifier on the machine just is not enough to take care of it.

Or do any of you have any other "tricks" you use to keep your mouth from drying out as bad during the night?

Thanks.,

Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Biotene
Wow, what a great idea! I had a wisdom tooth pulled last year and ended up with dry socket twice! Packing kept coming out! I used Biotene to rinse with during all this and it was extremely soothing and really helped a lot. While I do not typically open my mouth without being awakened, I do wake up with a pretty arid mouth from time to time. I have done the full blown open mouth so I do know the difference! Having used this product and knowing how it works, I bet that would work great! I think I still have a little left in the bathroom. I will try it in the morning! Great idea! I know Biotene is expensive, but if you try it once, you will be totally hooked. It is so soothing on irritated membranes! So no, I have not used it with the CPAP, but I have used it and I am a total fan!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 06:25 PM)w7sot Wrote: Or do any of you have any other "tricks" you use to keep your mouth from drying out as bad during the night?

Thanks.,

Scott
What worked for me is switching from FFM to Activa LT nasal mask and chinstrap but might not work for you as everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply
A guy I know would take a dab of the Biotene gel, put it on the tip of his tongue and carefully place it on the roof of his mouth behind the back teeth. He would then leave it there withour bothering it and it melted throughout the night. Said it worked well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Biotene (for dry mouth)
Hello all. My first post here but it may as well be an informative one! Biotene does work for dry mouth, though I have not tried the gel yet. I use the mouthwash as i have dry mouth problems even before cpap. Just started therapy and will try the gel tonight.

Dominic
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Biotene (for dry mouth)
I have been using the Biotene dry mouth toothpaste for six years and have had no cavities during that time.
My dentist says his Biotene using FFM CPAP patients have far fewer cavities than the ones that don't use it.
However that is only anecdotal evidence and I have not seen any well designed studies or any studies at all for that matter that confirm it.

I have found it cheapest at Walmart.
Note that the Biotene toothpaste is with the Biotene gel and mouthwash not the other brands of toothpaste where I expected to find it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 356 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.