Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bipap Noob Questions
Sad 
Pressure Help
Hi All,

I have been trying to dial in pressure because I wake up feeling cloudy, exhausted, sometimes cant even think. My O2 monitor says I have hardly no desaturations below 95% but I just cannot seem to get the right settings. I even tried to sleep without my cpap for the first time in years and I actually woke up feeling better.

Had a sleep study almost 2 years ago and static 8 kept my sleep under control.

Attached is a chart with static vs apap and my sleep study. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant remember the last time I woke up and felt refreshed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Help
I'm curious: what was your AHI when you were first diagnosed?

By the numbers, you're doing well, but obviously you're not feeling right. The main thing that jumps out at me is that you have a relatively active flow-limitation graph. FLs may in fact not be disturbing your sleep at all, but in case they are, you might try using EPR of 3. Because you have no problems with OAs or Hs, I see no need for you to raise your minimum pressure to compensate.

Your pressure goes up and down a lot in response to the FLs. Higher pressure doesn't do much to control FLs, so I'd suggest you use the static pressure of 9, in case pressure changes disturb your sleep.

It's possible your feeling of daytime exhaustion have nothing to do with your airway during sleep. Have you discussed this with your doctor? Would you say you feel sleepy during the day (e.g., would nap if you could) or fatigued? It can be helpful to the doctor to get that information from you.

Are you taking any medications that have fatigue, brain fog, or sleepiness as a possible side effect?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2022, 12:38 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I'm curious: what was your AHI when you were first diagnosed?

By the numbers, you're doing well, but obviously you're not feeling right.  The main thing that jumps out at me is that you have a relatively active flow-limitation graph.  FLs may in fact not be disturbing your sleep at all, but in case they are, you might try using EPR of 3.  Because you have no problems with OAs or Hs, I see no need for you to raise your minimum pressure to compensate.

Your pressure goes up and down a lot in response to the FLs.  Higher pressure doesn't do much to control FLs, so I'd suggest you use the static pressure of 9, in case pressure changes disturb your sleep.

It's possible your feeling of daytime exhaustion have nothing to do with your airway during sleep.  Have you discussed this with your doctor?  Would you say you feel sleepy during the day (e.g., would nap if you could) or fatigued?  It can be helpful to the doctor to get that information from you.

Are you taking any medications that have fatigue, brain fog, or sleepiness as a possible side effect?

No Medications, I recently started talking low dose melatonin and magnesium before bed. I actually have another study next week where we will try bi level and no cpap at all.

I had a home study years ago, but I dont have that data. Was told it was mild though I dont have the number.

So you would suggest a pressure of 9 with an EPR of 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2022, 12:48 PM)supyasieve Wrote: No Medications, I recently started talking low dose melatonin and magnesium before bed. I actually have another study next week where we will try bi level and no cpap at all.

I had a home study years ago, but I dont have that data. Was told it was mild though I dont have the number.

So you would suggest a pressure of 9 with an EPR of 3?

Also want to add I feel fatigued not sleepy. Just super cloudy almost like im in a fog. Had full blood labs done, came back fantastic. Saw cardiologist, everything looks great. Sleep study #2 is my next venture. I am just sick of being tired and not waking up refreshed. I almost feel better end of the day than when I wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second Dormeo's suggestion - try EPR3. It can't hurt, it's free, and it may help. The machine responds to flow limitations and also flow limitations may be disturbing your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, static pressure of 9 and EPR of 3.

Just curious: did the labs include any blood tests for autoimmune disease? I'm going to guess they included thyroid and testosterone - is that correct? Any chance you're experiencing long Covid?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2022, 10:16 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Yes, static pressure of 9 and EPR of 3.  

Just curious: did the labs include any blood tests for autoimmune disease?  I'm going to guess they included thyroid and testosterone  - is that correct?  Any chance you're experiencing long Covid?

Not sure about autoimmune, yes on the other two.

No clue on the covid side. havent had it for months and symptoms started getting worse. last month
Post Reply Post Reply
Your name is visible and is mentioned at the bottom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bipap Noob Questions
This is day 3 of Bipap. I had a sleep study that said I have an AHI of just over 5, but 42 micro arousal per hour. 

Once I was on Bipap of 9/5 that dropped to 10. 

My question is, does it take time for your body to adjust to the bipap breathing and if so how long?

I know the goal is to have flat breathing pattern, but mine looks a bit choppy. Since I am new to it, I do not yet want to mess with it, but rather curious if there is an adjustment period to my breathing that will flatten out the chart?

Let me know your thoughts!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap Noob Questions
Sorry, I can't answer your questions.  Though I do expect you need to give it more than three nights.
Three nights are not enough to see your response to treatment.

Some people adopt to xpap after night one and never look back. Others...  longer. Significantly longer.

Micro arousals earned you a bilevel?? No fight with insurance?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 234 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.