Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bipap question
Bipap question
How do you know if a Bipap Machine is needed? My 95% pressure number for the
last 30 days is 19.86.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap question
(05-17-2014, 11:14 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: How do you know if a Bipap Machine is needed? My 95% pressure number for the
last 30 days is 19.86.

On your sleepyhead charts, what does the pressure line look like? Is it always butting up against that 19.86 mark, or does it sit further down in the range between 4 and 20?

What is your AHI doing these days?

What are your leak numbers?

20 is a way high pressure. Maybe it's needed, but just as likely it's simply never been tailored to your needs and is simply sitting on the mfg defaults. But to establish a range specific to your needs you really have to consider all the data together.

Then the final question is, how are you feeling? Are you sleeping well? That sort of thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
On a typical night I butt against the 20 pressure level a couple times a night.
Pulling data from my S9 auto for the last 30 days:
Pressure 18.8
Leak 19 L/m
AHI 3.7

I could be feeling better. There have been alot of changes in the last month - so I could
still be adjusting. New auto machine, changed to full face mask from pillows,
wrestling with leaks, you know the drill...
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressures that high are difficult for pillows masks. Actually for any mask.

You might want to discuss this with your sleep docs, but I'm thinking you might want to slowly, very slowly begin adjusting the max pressures downward. To begin with maybe something like a min of 11 and a max of 18. Also, you might want to try turning on the EPR to see how you do. It has a setting of 1, 2, or 3... I'd do the 3. That says that at a max pressure of 18, it would reduce to 15 on the exhale. (3 points difference).

If you do this, try it for a day or so and let us know how it's going.

Keep a close eye on the leaks as you do.

Talk to the docs, and see what they think about this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi readyforsleep,
BiPAPs are also used for people who have aerophagia, (swallowing air). If you are having access gas in the morning, that means you are swallowing air.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2014, 12:31 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You might want to discuss this with your sleep docs, but I'm thinking you might want to slowly, very slowly begin adjusting the max pressures downward. To begin with maybe something like a min of 11 and a max of 18. Also, you might want to try turning on the EPR to see how you do. It has a setting of 1, 2, or 3... I'd do the 3. That says that at a max pressure of 18, it would reduce to 15 on the exhale. (3 points difference)

Thanks for your ideas. Not sure I understand. Are you saying that
Just because the autopap can go up to 20, it doesn't necessarily mean
I need a pressure of 20? I never even considered that possibility. I do have
a followup visit with the doctor in June. I'll see what she suggests then. She
made a point of telling me not to change anything before my next visit. Wonder
why??

about the epr- I turned it off -couldn't breathe properly and was getting
centrals.
alot of centrals.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2014, 01:29 PM)readyforsleep Wrote:
(05-17-2014, 12:31 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You might want to discuss this with your sleep docs, but I'm thinking you might want to slowly, very slowly begin adjusting the max pressures downward. To begin with maybe something like a min of 11 and a max of 18. Also, you might want to try turning on the EPR to see how you do. It has a setting of 1, 2, or 3... I'd do the 3. That says that at a max pressure of 18, it would reduce to 15 on the exhale. (3 points difference)

Thanks for your ideas. Not sure I understand. Are you saying that
Just because the autopap can go up to 20, it doesn't necessarily mean
I need a pressure of 20? I never even considered that possibility. I do have
a followup visit with the doctor in June. I'll see what she suggests then. She
made a point of telling me not to change anything before my next visit. Wonder
why??

about the epr- I turned it off -couldn't breathe properly and was getting
centrals.
alot of centrals.

The machine is trying to balance several variables. How high a pressure have we told it is permissible (such as 20) versus how much pressure does it need to supply to control the apneas, and does it need to modify that pressure because of excessive leakage. A leak rate of 19 is considered acceptable, but it could be better. A lower leak rate might mean the machine would not have to work so hard and consequently not run quite as high a pressure which makes the leak rate go up.

So between now and when you meet with your doc, work on the leak rate. If you haven't already get a mask liner such as the remzzz liners or the pad-a-cheek, or make one out of one of your husbands old t-shirts. He's not likely to notice the big hole in the back anytime soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I have a much better understanding now.
I have
been experimenting with liners. I have the best numbers with
my husbands old t-shirts.(7 L /m). Pad a cheek brought my leak
rate up to 30. My secret weapon is Pad a cheeks anti leak strap.
So soft and effective.
Thanks for listening, I am going crazy over here. Too much
to think about when you can't think.

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, don't go crazy. We have too many of those around here already. Actually I'm not crazy though. I think maybe everybody else around me is crazy. But not me. I'm not crazy.... Nope. Just asked myself again and the voices told me "nope, I'm not crazy."

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2014, 03:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Nope. Just asked myself again and the voices told me "nope, I'm not crazy."

as long as they all agree, you're fine, it's when they start arguing with each other that you have to start worrying.... Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 689 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  [Pressure] BiPap air pressure question AmbitiousCut0 30 2,057 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.