Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bipap starting to lose pressure
Bipap starting to lose pressure
I’m looking for any possible troubleshooting tips and/or what to discuss when I call back my DME’s RT tomorrow. DME has said they’ll help and try to get my bipap running better if possible. I’ve run through the machine myself systematically. My hose was fine but I replaced it anyhow. New filters too. Opened the machine and checked for foam (some crumbs but no chunks). The motor has been making a faint high pitch for a few months at least. I made sure every little gasket was seated well and though one seems a bit tacky like it’s aging they seem fine. 16,000 hours runtime :/

It seems absolutely fine until occasionally (and now every few days) when I put on the mask it just barely lets me inhale. I take off the mask and the air blows full force. Sometimes it does this in the middle of sleeping. The machine listed an AHI of 26 after just trying to breathe with it on for a couple minutes the other night. I’m new to OSCAR and my data looks awful in coincidence with this problem, I can’t even imagine it correlates with my actual breathing. The only way I get it to work again is to unplug it for awhile, try again, and then change the settings in the provider menu wildly and set them again. Sometimes that gets it going again. 

I have myasthenia gravis and at first I attributed this to breathing weakness, but realized in short order that turning up the pressure had no effect. I just had to go 2 nights without, and barely slept and slept poorly. I get more and more symptomatic the less I can rest my breathing muscles. It worked last night thank goodness, but have no idea if it will tonight. I wonder if it’s been doing this to some degree for the past year as I’ve been sleeping worse and having to up the dose of medication I take to make my muscles work.

I just changed to a new sleep doctor after not having had one for a couple years. She’s expediting the new Rx even though she doesn’t know me yet (I’m the troublemaker, haha!). She agreed we may need to switch me to the ResMed ST-A but she wants her own data before doing that. And I’m wondering if my bipap has been failing a long time and just replacing it might be the answer.

My DME says the waitlist at this point for ye olde standard bipap is “a couple months” and have zero rentals. I’m tempted to beg borrow and steal to just buy an ST-A without the insurance if my new doctor would write the Rx but can’t even locate one online.

With the recall I got things moving as fast as I could, alas I’m too slow to catch up with the early birds on this. My 5 years was up last month so I’d have had to jump through hoops to get a machine faster. So I’m just going to have to try and eke out a bit more from my bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap starting to lose pressure
There is a Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A for $2000 with 155 hours on Dotmed. If that is affordable to you, no prescription will be required. To find it, go to the DotMed site and look under Respiratory/Bilevel and there are about 140 listing using the filter for Resmed. You should be able to find it or call the seller at +1 (919) 408-9174
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Found it, thanks so much. I’m really unsure buying like that, but I know a lot of people here do get used ones so I’l poke around the forum here to educate myself a bit more. 144 hours runtime is nothing, why would someone stop using it that quickly?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh no, never mind, shipping is $2,000!!! Almost died laughing here, heh heh.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes no sense, but I'll take your word for it. I would still contact the seller to ask if that is actually the case. I suspect it is an error in the listing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s on the listing when you click “buy”, and I also assume it is an error but it doesn’t help that I’m uninitiated in looking at used medical equipment and that site just looked sketch at first glance. Two grand is a lot to gamble. I see you’re a mod, I do assume I can trust your help. But you’ll have to forgive me as I’m new here. I’m poking around a bit, I really do appreciate you sharing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it helps, I've seen that one myself. I messaged the seller via DotMed to inquire about the shipping costs to satisfy both of us. Stay tuned for updates.

This unit I'd found was listed by P Saunders.

PS I'm not competing against you to get this. So don't worry about that.

I can say this about the ST-A, it does its job quite well, and it works with OSCAR. I've tested one that I borrowed from someone recently.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dotmed is a reilable site, or I would not have suggested it. It is a marketplace and the sellers vary, but there is still protection if you use payment like Paypal. So far, I have seen several dozen sales and no problems. Not a guarantee but it's not a scam site.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 439 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.