Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Birthday Gift-Distiller!
Birthday Gift-Distiller!
For my birthday this week, I received my very own countertop water distiller!

While the distiller water boggy. Stores may not be expensive, it's in plastic and it must be lugged home. Two minuses in my book.

Now I just need a couple of glass containers with airtight caps to save the water in on its distiller, and I'll be all set.

Do you have one? If so, are you glad you do?

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Birthday Gift-Distiller!
Hi Lambsydoats,
I have a counter-top water distiller too, and it's the best thing I ever did. I now don't have to lug bottles home, not that it was that big of a deal, it's just easier if I don't have to do that. I have a gallon glass pitcher I use to distill my water in and I also have a couple plastic pitchers for water storage.
We used to have a plumbed- in distiller but that required a lot of maintnance and got to be too much so we went the counter-top root and it is much easier to keep up with each time you use it.
I hope you enjoy your new water distiller, what a nice birthday gift.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy distilling

I was going suggest something else beside water can be distilled with the distiller but might be accused with bootlegging Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
We know that you distill it from your CPAP humidifier, Zonk.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Do you have one? If so, are you glad you do?

I use a Waterwize Distiller , It can produce 9gal a day . Yep Love it . Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
How much is such a thing and does it actually pay?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2014, 12:22 AM)Galactus Wrote: How much is such a thing and does it actually pay?

This one was $200. I like the idea that the water touches no plastic at any point in the distilling process, as I have discovered that one of the things I'm allergic to is polypropylene glycol--which is in just about everything except glass (I don't think it is, anyway!). Although I hadn't had any trouble using the distilled water I had brought home from the store, my metabolism has been messed up for some time, and nothing is consistent. Yet. (I'm convinced my CPAP is the silver bullet I've been praying for.)

Besides that, I live in Michigan, and we're known to have some knock-down-drag-out winter storms. I have a whole-house generator, so this way I should always have distilled water...unless, of course, the water to my house gets shut off like it did yesterday. Sad
Hope this helps!

Lamb
(12-06-2014, 03:35 PM)zonk Wrote: Happy distilling

I was going suggest something else beside water can be distilled with the distiller but might be accused with bootlegging Dielaughing

Zonk, maybe you're thinking I could make a little grape jelly on the side? Too-funny
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm... $200 for a distiller. I'll have to think on that, I only pay like 88 cents a gallon for the distilled water I buy, so that buys a whole bunch of water. Now if I could use it to also make some "grape jelly" while it wasn't just making water, now that could make it pay off quicker, and make more sense for me Dielaughing
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2014, 12:20 AM)Galactus Wrote: Hmmm... $200 for a distiller. I'll have to think on that, I only pay like 88 cents a gallon for the distilled water I buy, so that buys a whole bunch of water. Now if I could use it to also make some "grape jelly" while it wasn't just making water, now that could make it pay off quicker, and make more sense for me Dielaughing

I pay 88 cents at that big box store everybody hates. I would imagine the electricity cost to distil a gallon of water approaches that.

For someone who is allergic to the plastic jugs, absolutely. My distilled water cost is less than two bucks per month. I don't need another gadget.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have distilled water also, but it comes from my XPAP humidifier by way of the normal water tap.

The XPAP humidifier warms and then vaporizes the water, leaving everything else (minerals, etc.) dissolved in the water tub behind, and since distilled water lugged home from the big-box store (or magically created by a $200 appliance) is created by an identical evaporative process, in this context a XPAP humidifier essentially IS a distiller, meaning that you don't need to put distilled water into your humidifier in the first place, because the only thing that goes up the hose regardless if you put tap or "distilled" water into the tub, is the same exact thing, vaporized pure water molecules.

If evaporation did not work this way, then the natural water cycle of the planet Earth would not even work properly, and life as we know it would never probably have ever begun.

So putting distilled water into a system that then distills it a second time by the evaporative process is like washing the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher, or straightening up just before the cleaning lady arrives.

So where does all of the other stuff go? It precipitates onto the walls of the tub, of course. But if you rinse the tub, then fill the tub with hot water and let it sit in the morning, 99% of that dissolves back into the standing water pretty quickly. Then rinse it again before filling it for use, and clean it with a little vinegar every month or so to get whatever is left out.

That said, a small number of other things can evaporate along with water, so if the water you put into your tub is contaminated with certain chemicals, they would go up the hose as well, but the odds of that are nearly nil (just don't fill your humidifier with cat pee).

But if your tap water has any significant concentrations of other evaporative substances in it that might be unsafe for human consumption, then you have much, much larger problems than your sleep apnea issue. If you live pretty much anywhere that does not have cancer clusters like they had in NY/Love Canal in the 70's, or tap water that catches on fire like close to fracking in ND, the risk of using tap water in your humidifier is about the same as the risk of you being killed in your sleep by a falling meteor.

And only one person in historical record has ever been known to be hit by a falling meteor, which just gave her a bruise.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What new C/A PAP device to gift Corvette817 11 2,329 12-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.