Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Birthday Gift-Distiller!
RE: Birthday Gift-Distiller!
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. However, the manufacturers seem to state otherwise, and post their reasons. For the tiny costs of the distilled water I say what the heck.

Here's what the manufacturer says;
Use distilled water to help keep the humidifier chamber clean and mineral deposit free. Tap water should not be used as it will leave hard white mineral deposits in the chamber as the water evaporates, or it may lead to mold growth. Cases of lung disease have been connected to using contaminated well water in a CPAP humidifier

And they site their source, and this is just but one article of many, so right or wrong I try and use it as often as I can as the cost is so negligible;
http://www.news-medical.net/news/2009120...chine.aspx

Lung disease linked to the use of contaminated well water in a CPAP machine;

Many people rely on continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines as a safe and effective treatment for sleep apnea. But a new case report describes a rare complication—a lingering inflammatory disease of the lungs, apparently related to the use of contaminated well water in a CPAP machine. The report appears in the December Southern Medical Journal, official journal of the Southern Medical Association. The journal is published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a part of Wolters Kluwer Health, a leading provider of information and business intelligence for students, professionals, and institutions in medicine, nursing, allied health, and pharmacy.

Dr. Lawrence W. Raymond and colleagues of Carolinas HealthCare System, Charlotte, describe an unusual case of lung disease related to CPAP, which uses humidified air to keep the airways open while the patient is sleeping. The patient in the case report had used her CPAP machine for several years with no problems—she was careful about cleaning her machine and filling it with distilled water, as recommended.

Symptoms Developed After Using Well Water for CPAP
The problem started when the patient forgot to bring a supply of distilled water on a trip to her North Carolina vacation home. Instead, she used tap water, which came from a well located a few miles away. She awoke the next morning with a severe sore throat, and immediately suspected that her symptoms were caused by using tap water in her CPAP machine.

The patient was ill for several weeks—with "crackles" in the lungs and decreased blood oxygen levels—despite treatment with antibiotics. She finally started getting better after beginning treatment with steroids; her condition gradually improved over several weeks. However, even three years later, she still had minor problems related to a chronic cough.

Related Stories
New book urges nurses to speak up and be heard
New research sheds light on complexities of child sleep
Obstructive sleep apnea associated with impaired exercise capacity
An infection from contaminated well water was suspected, but testing of the water showed no bacteria. Instead, there were high levels of a toxic bacterial compound called endotoxin, probably related to repair work done on the pipes a few weeks earlier.

Dr. Raymond and colleagues diagnosed their patient's illness as bronchiolitis: an inflammatory condition affecting the smallest air passages in the lungs (bronchioles). Most often caused by viral infections in infants, bronchiolitis has also been linked to high levels of endotoxin—for example, in dusty rooms. Bronchiolitis and exposure to high levels of endotoxin have both been linked to the development of asthma.

Although the patient's illness was moderately severe and lasting, Dr. Raymond and colleagues point out that it was very unusual—it would not likely result from using normal tap water in a CPAP machine. The recommendation to use distilled water in CPAP machines is related to preventive maintenance, rather than avoiding contamination. Infections related to CPAP machines are rare, and most often related to poor cleaning of the machine.

However, the case report shows that, in unusual circumstances, using contaminated water in CPAP machines has the potential to cause respiratory illness. Dr. Raymond and co-authors conclude, "We do believe that caution is warranted in CPAP humidification using tap water from wells in remote locations such as the North Carolina mountains."
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2014, 12:13 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: The XPAP humidifier warms and then vaporizes the water, leaving everything else (minerals, etc.) dissolved in the water tub behind, and since distilled water lugged home from the big-box store (or magically created by a $200 appliance) is created by an identical evaporative process, in this context a XPAP humidifier essentially IS a distiller, meaning that you don't need to put distilled water into your humidifier in the first place, because the only thing that goes up the hose regardless if you put tap or "distilled" water into the tub, is the same exact thing, vaporized pure water molecules.

So putting distilled water into a system that then distills it a second time by the evaporative process is like washing the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher, or straightening up just before the cleaning lady arrives.

Nothing wrong with using double distilled water. I have used triple distilled water but not in my CPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PaytonA making some "grape jelly"...... ??
Post Reply Post Reply
Only if one wanted to kill oneself.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had much grape jelly in my life, and so far no one I know has killed themselves with it. What's wrong with some quality grape jelly?

P02 will likely be by soon to [split] our grape jelly thread, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its all about temperature, ethanol and methanol, one is good and one sends you blind, prior to killing you that is. Thats what my high school teacher told me ;-)
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What new C/A PAP device to gift Corvette817 11 2,331 12-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.