Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing
RE: Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing
(11-27-2016, 11:50 PM)Galactus Wrote: So? How goes? Inquiring minds want to know Big Grin
I heard back from ZYPPAH's customer service. They thought it could work. But my mouth is super small, my dentist has to use children's bitewings. So they are sending me a list of dentists in my area who would check the fit at no cost.

Due to Thanksgiving I haven't done anything more than some reading/Googling. The other two that sound interesting are sold in the UK. Most of the ones in the US advertise that they either hold your mouth open or have extra large breathing holes to accommodate mouth breathing. If I find one that I want to try I would have to seal the hole shut.

I found a mouth taping product that doesn't cover your lips. It is U shaped and goes from under your cheek bones, around your mouth and under your chin. They have three different strengths of tape. Of course that is also made in the UK.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been reading a book by Dr Mark Burhene , The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox: How We Are Sleeping Our Way to Fatigue, Disease and Unhappiness. He talked about using a MAD in conjunction with CPAP to improve therapy. The MAD keeps the airway from collapsing, allowing the machine to function more efficiently thereby improving the arousal rate. Helps the person obtain better sleep quality.

Perhaps this could help with arousals caused by RERAs and FLs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did anyone find anything? There is one called Somnipax Shield. Costs $83 US with free shipping. I am hoping to find a less expensive option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resurrecting this thread and saying Hi!

I found it while searching Somnipax. I have been wearing Mandibular Advancement Devices for ten years and just recently started CPAP (APAP). I had a sleep study done some years ago and since they had me wear my MAD, they didn't prescribe CPAP since I was borderline with it. I pushed this time to have it without the MAD since I am tired of wearing it in such an advanced position which has been required (My dentist is a personal friend and lets me move my jaw further then it should be while taking the molds). It also changes my bite even after wearing the repositioner every morning. I was prescribed CPAP this time with a full face mask.

I ended up with two full face masks through Kaiser/Aprias customer satisfaction program and purchased the Dreamwear Nasal Cushion and Headgear out of pocket to add to the Dreamwear Full Face Mask frame etc. Its been an adventure to say the least these past few weeks and I will share that story another time.

I am forcing myself to try to keep my mouth shut... as well as sleep with it closed  Laugh-a-lot while wearing the Nasal Cushion since that's the direction I want to take this. After many attempts and a particularly bad night last night, my plan for tonight is;

Dreamwear Nasal Cushion.

Breathright on nose (I say nose because I did wear some on my lips while experimenting while I wait for my order of 3M Kind Tape to arrive).

I will wear my DREAMTAP Mandibular Advancement Device in a reduced position then when I wore it alone. It will help the CPAP work better with lower pressure, assure that I dont have another bad night in the event that I force my mouth open or remove the mask as well as keep my teeth together.

I found some 2" ROCKTAPE brand Kinesio tape in the medicine cabinet and will wear that on my lips cut into a 1" wide strip with chapstick and pursed lips to help seal. I experimented today and it can be removed fairly easily and replaced so I can drink some water during the night.

So, thats where I am at but searching for alternatives to having to tape my lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Like a Baby: the methods I've seen for dealing with mouth leaks include tape, chin strap, soft cervical collar and the tongue suck method. folks use whatever method or combination of methods they find most effective. there's a ton of discussion about these on the forum if you search. because I am bearded my mask choices are limited and I can't tape. can't master the tongue suck method and while I haven't tried a chin strap I'm concerned about their tendency to push the lower jaw backward, something that might also concern you given your use of the MAD. while I don't love it, the soft cervical collar is an absolute necessity for me to achieve effective treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 54 14 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,179 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 390 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 321 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.