Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blackout!
Blackout!
Went on an overseas trip recently to a less than modern location and didn't want to bring my Dreamstation along in case it got damaged, etc. So I traveled light with my APEX XT. First time ever for me, the location experienced a power outage early evening and again in the middle of the night as I woke up struggling for air. The CPAP had shutdown and wasn't pumping any air although the LED was on. Wasn't sure how long the power outage lasted, but was probably short as the room fan had started blowing again. I had to manually restart the CPAP, that was how I figured a power failure occurred and had shut the CPAP down. 

I realised that had I used my Dreamstation with the autostart function on, I probably would have had continued treatment once the power was restored (for a short interval blackout) and may not even know what had happened that night.

My home power supply is very reliable, only 1 power failure in the last 10 years.  

Does anyone have a SOP for such events?
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blackout!
I know the feeling. I was in Miami and the power was shut off in the hotel during the night. My cpap has no battery back-up, so it was off. I stayed up until power was turned back on.

I use a surge suppressor-extension cord. I was travelling and power went out during a thunder storm. When it came back on my cpap survived. The old tv plugged in to the same receptacle did not.

What does SOP mean?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Add another thought to my response...

If I'm travelling on vacation in a foreign country, and my CPAP stops working, what do I do?

If my CPAP unit had failed that night with the thunder storm in a foreign country, would I have had to return home to get a prescription and a new CPAP unit?
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2019, 11:46 AM)DaveL Wrote: I know the feeling. I was in Miami and the power was shut off in the hotel during the night. My cpap has no battery back-up, so it was off. I stayed up until power was turned back on.

I use a surge suppressor-extension cord. I was travelling and power went out during a thunder storm. When it came back on my cpap survived. The old tv plugged in to the same receptacle did not.

What does SOP mean?

Standard Operating Procedure. 

Military / LE term for the most part.
Post Reply Post Reply
We all realize that often the single greatest determinant in our purchasing procedures involves costs.  Or rather, minimizing them, even doing without.  However, it seems to me that one should have a power backup of some kind.  The newer flat and thin paperback novel-sized backups provide at least a full night's power on most machines that aren't driving hurricanes through the hoses to keep their owners safe and apnea-free, or that are not running heated hoses and water reservoirs. 

If you do a quick google search for PAP backup batteries, you'll find scads of them.  I can't honestly offer any guidance because I only have one, my first purchase made eight months ago, and I have not yet had an instance where it was required.  I did test it just prior to last Christmas, and although it took about six or seven seconds to kick in, it did power up my RESMED AS1- Elite once I pulled the plug at the wall socket. I let it run for about 15 seconds, and then restored power feeling it had passed the test.  My choice, sold by my DME, was the Medistrom make.  RESMED makes their own, as does Respironics last I checked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Until 5 years ago whenever the power went out I would move to any hotel I could find that had power just so that I could sleep. That got expensive a few times, but battery technology wasn't so great then, especially since my machine was running at 22cm. Since I was in a condo having a backup generator wasn't really an option. Now I am in a house with a backup generator so all is good. In my area we lose power several times a year so the generator is great for keeping the fridges and CPAP machine running. I don't really have a backup plan for traveling, but the batteries available these days seem like the obvious option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Come to think of it, the local storms have been much stronger and the thunders rumble much much longer over the last few years. The power main did trip although local supply was uninterrupted. Maybe I’ll have to go look for a portable power outage alarm of sorts so at least I wake fast if the power is cut.

The Apex XT plugs directly to the wall outlet, as it has a built in power converter, so a 12V power bank is out. However such a power bank would still work for the Dreamstation!

Will check these options out. Thanks all for the heads up!
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2019, 11:51 AM)DaveL Wrote: Add another thought to my response...

If I'm travelling on vacation in a foreign country, and my CPAP stops working, what do I do?

If my CPAP unit had failed that night with the thunder storm in a foreign country, would I have had to return home to get a prescription and a new CPAP unit?

If that happened to me, my vacation would be in deep poop. I would be having bad headaches and feeling awful the rest of the trip. Probably try sleeping face down or sitting up, oh dear...

Buying a replacement machine overseas may not be feasible unless there’s a retailer available and willing to sell a set without prescription. Chances of getting it repaired while on vacation, not good at all.
lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2019, 02:27 PM)Big Guy Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 11:46 AM)DaveL Wrote: I know the feeling. I was in Miami and the power was shut off in the hotel during the night. My cpap has no battery back-up, so it was off. I stayed up until power was turned back on.

What does SOP mean?

Standard Operating Procedure. 

Military / LE term for the most part.

I'm a Navy Brat. But Canadian...I hadn't seen this.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2019, 10:57 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 11:51 AM)DaveL Wrote: Add another thought to my response...

If that happened to me, my vacation would be in deep poop. I would be having bad headaches and feeling awful the rest of the trip. Probably try sleeping face down or sitting up, oh dear...

Buying a replacement machine overseas may not be feasible unless there’s a retailer available and willing to sell a set without prescription. Chances of getting it repaired while on vacation, not good at all.
Thanks.
I'm convinced that I have to stay awake if I can't use my CPAP>
I traveled by ferry from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia and stayed up sitting up all night. North Atlantic storm.  In my mind I sang the hymn of the North Atlantic Squadron all night long. (Canadian Navy lore.)
I was lucky I wasn't sea sick. Every one else that was awake was....washrooms were off limits well before we got to shore.

That was the only night in over 30 years I didn't use my cpap gear.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.