Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blackout!
RE: Blackout!
(05-08-2019, 03:35 PM)mesenteria Wrote: We all realize that often the single greatest determinant in our purchasing procedures involves costs.  Or rather, minimizing them, even doing without.  However, it seems to me that one should have a power backup of some kind.  The newer flat and thin paperback novel-sized backups provide at least a full night's power on most machines that aren't driving hurricanes through the hoses to keep their owners safe and apnea-free, or that are not running heated hoses and water reservoirs. 

If you do a quick google search for PAP backup batteries, you'll find scads of them.  I can't honestly offer any guidance because I only have one, my first purchase made eight months ago, and I have not yet had an instance where it was required.  I did test it just prior to last Christmas, and although it took about six or seven seconds to kick in, it did power up my RESMED AS1- Elite once I pulled the plug at the wall socket. I let it run for about 15 seconds, and then restored power feeling it had passed the test.  My choice, sold by my DME, was the Medistrom make.  RESMED makes their own, as does Respironics last I checked.

Thanks mesenteria

Very helpful; something I haven't addressed yet.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2019, 11:51 AM)DaveL Wrote: Add another thought to my response...

If I'm travelling on vacation in a foreign country, and my CPAP stops working, what do I do?

If my CPAP unit had failed that night with the thunder storm in a foreign country, would I have had to return home to get a prescription and a new CPAP unit?

As far as prescription, I have a digital copy (PDF) saved on my phone and in my Google drive.

Came in useful this past early March when the vendor I had preordered my Bleep from needed a copy of my Rx, then was unable to ship. I had to scramble to find another vendor and order so it would be waiting for me when I arrived home. I was in New Zealand at the time!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2019, 03:25 PM)booksfan Wrote:

If I'm travelling on vacation in a foreign country, and my CPAP stops working, what do I do?

If my CPAP unit had failed that night with the thunder storm in a foreign country, would I have had to return home to get a prescription and a new CPAP unit?

As far as prescription, I have a digital copy (PDF) saved on my phone and in my Google drive.

Came in useful this past early March when the vendor I had preordered my Bleep from needed a copy of my Rx, then was unable to ship. I had to scramble to find another vendor and order so it would be waiting for me when I arrived home. I was in New Zealand at the time!

Thanks booksfan.  I haven't done that yet. I shall. I'll copy my recent sleep test report, and the Rx for a mask.  My sleep doc didn't give me an RX for a machine. That's because he wants to sell me one himself.  I told him I'm happy with my DME, although I've never bought a machine there.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2019, 04:37 PM)DaveL Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 03:25 PM)booksfan Wrote:

Thanks booksfan.  I haven't done that yet. I shall. I'll copy my recent sleep test report, and the Rx for a mask.  My sleep doc didn't give me an RX for a machine. That's because he wants to sell me one himself.  I told him I'm happy with my DME, although I've never bought a machine there.

It's funny because my hubby had a digital copy on his computer but not his phone. He travels a lot for business, as well as our personal travel and used to pack his CPAP in his checked luggage (I know, but he just doesn't listen to me! Dont-know). Last year he flew into St. Louis on his way to Columbia, MO, and sure enough they lost his luggage. They were pretty blase about it until he said his CPAP was in there. Then they were falling all over themselves getting him a loaner. Problem was he had a 2-hour drive ahead of him and they couldn't figure out which city to get it in and he needed the Rx. Fortunately, I was home and got on his computer and emailed to his phone. They got him the CPAP (same machine), and mask. His luggage got to him at 1am. Three good things came from that: 1 he got a new mask (can't reuse!), 2 he now carries his CPAP on! and 3 he has his Rx on his phone! You can teach (some) old dogs new tricks!  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there,

I live in a state in the US that commonly sees rolling blackouts in the summer, I travel overseas for work and all of my vacations are camping. Because of that, I invested in a back up battery back. Yes, it was expensive (I waited for a bonus at work) but now when the power is out I just plug in. And yes, it’s heavy to carry but I’ve decided that that is better than not breathing. I also have to remember to charge it every three months. 

Best,

Darci
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked the OEM prices and they are expensive compared to normal lithium power banks. It's probably the 12V proprietary designs.  The Freedom Travel CPAP Battery is a ready made solution and looks promising, but will go do some more research.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.