Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm!
First, Hi Herbm - hope it was fun stuff that had you missing there for a while?

Me, I'm 26 days post-op on my right knee replacement and having loads of fun!

Fun fact #23 - mechanical knee joints do click, but even though both knees are the same brand etc, they are 4+ years apart in age, and they both click at different points (my wife finds this quite funny) so much so that she will yell out which leg she believes I just moved, and get it right most of the time.

Puppies and eating stuff not made to be eaten - a very scary topic for us puppy parents, but if I did an X-ray every time, I'd be further in the poor house than I am. For those few folks that may not be aware:
Puppies drink water every day
Puppies eat (food) stuff every day
Depending on age/size, puppies poop 1-4 times daily

As long as this cycle does not stop, what goes in one end will usually come out the other.

My youngest Jack, at 11 months and 21lbs, ate (not chewed, but ate) 20" long gold chain of my wife's - that did honestly scare me, but it came out (unbroken) 2 days later.

It's like this? Raise you hand if you ever got 'shocked' as a kid growing up? Did you die? Yet how many new parents hate to take their kids to Grandma's home that isn't child-proofed.

And if you made it here, you must be bored...

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
08-11-2014 03:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm!
(08-11-2014 03:44 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  ...Raise you hand if you ever got 'shocked' as a kid growing up? Did you die? Yet how many new parents hate to take their kids to Grandma's home that isn't child-proofed...

I stuck my electric train track into the wall outlet when I was a little kid.
After that, all I wanted to be was an Electrical Engineer.

Mongo
Member IEEE

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-11-2014 06:27 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Thanks Peter_C:

8 days pre-op on the right hip, so no, some of the reasons for my being away weren't that much fun. I am doing this then bilateral TKR (knees) ASAP so I may disappear again. You folks ping or email anytime if you need me or just want to say "Hi". I am also "Herb Martin" (Austin TX) on Facebook and LinkedIn if you wish to 'friend' me.

Shocked? oldman (Why is there no :raise-hand: emoticon?)

When I become interested in chemistry along about the 6th and 7th grade, one of my favorite 'experiments' was to separate water into oxygen and hydrogen using an electric (battery) current.

After a couple of times, it really seemed like that battery thing was the bottleneck in the process so I just plugged it straight into the wall socket.

Worked great, although it would have been safer to use INSULATED wiring.

Truth is, only reason I ever got shocked with this terribly unsafe method was in testing it to see just how safe or dangerous it was. Taught me that staying out of the GROUND PATH was pretty much the key to avoiding big shocks.

Later as a commercial diver, to avoid tying up the entire pipe laying barge for hours, I once used a non-insulated welding lead to "burn" through a bolt head (because we didn't have an actual burning rig on board).

It really wasn't that UNPLEASANT but every time I called "make it hot" my arm would try to jump clean off the work so it was necessary to wedge myself in a bit and really BEAR DOWN to hold the electrode to the work.

Took me almost 20 minutes to cut through a bolt that should have taken a burning rig about 20 seconds but it avoided a four hour wait that would have tied up both crew and lay barge the entire time doing nothing.

Impressed a lot of barge hands too.

"That diver is crazy."

"Man, don' you know all them divers is crazy?".

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
08-11-2014 08:29 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(08-11-2014 03:44 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  Puppies and eating stuff not made to be eaten - a very scary topic for us puppy parents, but if I did an X-ray every time, I'd be further in the poor house than I am. For those few folks that may not be aware:
Puppies drink water every day
Puppies eat (food) stuff every day
Depending on age/size, puppies poop 1-4 times daily

Yes, I am grateful to have found my Fitbit behind the wood pile instead of inside the puppy, or more to the point, after it had been inside the puppy. But alas, it is toast anyhow. I ordered a new one yesterday (asked Fitbit to make good on the warranty, but they didn't think so) and this one will stay (hopefully) out of range of the puppy. I wasn't sure which of the puppies was the culprit but in analyzing the tooth marks, I think it was the littlest one. Anybody remember the old movie "The Ugly Dachshund?" Well, the "ring leader of that crowd was named "Chloe." That's what this one is named, and it fits.

As to dying before you grew up? I am continually amazed that we didn't do that. Now, if a kid did half the things we used to do the guys in the space suits would be scrubbing down our house all the time. For instance one of my favorite toys was a cannon that shot marbles at little lead soldiers. When you hit one it would invariably pop off it's head. To replenish our armies, we would wait until mom went to work, then melt the lead soldiers in a pot on her stove and re-mold them. Being neat little children we would clean up our mess when done and put the pot back away ready for her to cook dinner.
08-11-2014 12:40 PM
JWR Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation DSX700 , PR 760 bipap auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage FX
Humidifier: DreamStation DSXH , system one
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 17.5max IPAP = 21
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

[/quote]

To replenish our armies, we would wait until mom went to work, then melt the lead soldiers in a pot on her stove and re-mold them. Being neat little children we would clean up our mess when done and put the pot back away ready for her to cook dinner.
[/quote]

This explains alot ! Bigwink sounds like you had a diet high in Lead . Coffee
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 12:58 PM by JWR.)
08-11-2014 12:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I was one of those kids that the local ER thought was being 'abused' (wasn't just a typical klutzy kid that was slow to learn) between the ages of 11-14 I got a total of 93 stitches, but zero broken bones - go figure??? I did almost cut off a finger with a hacksaw - that hurt - and my train transformer was the most fun to see which kid could hold on the longest while the dial was being turned up.

Making 'candles' at age 12 is really dumb when you want to make a mold of your hand in the hot wax. That hurt for a while...

Bicycle helmet??? HUH? What do you do when playing cops and robbers on bikes and the robber won't pull over? Crash into him of course...

And so on...

Which is why my first dislocation was basically ignored (it popped back in by itself while I was screaming and crying some 2 miles down the beach from my family) - by the time I got back, it (my leg) was was like a sausage in a casing - what happened??!!! I fell and got hurt. Are you OK? No it hurts. Well, don't walk on it...

ahh the 'good ol days' - eh?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
08-12-2014 11:45 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(08-12-2014 11:45 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  ahh the 'good ol days' - eh?

Oh yeah.... My kids don't even know what I'm talking about when I tell them we used to swipe the mercury from gas meters and play with it. It sure shines up dimes a lot.

Then there was the time my brother set fire to the golf course at the country club...... He got into way lots of trouble........... It was great!
08-13-2014 01:11 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Getting close and pretty much all set for my hip replacement on Tue, now 4 days to wait.

I have all the aids, toys, and cool stuff everyone over on BoneSmart says one needs for a joint replacement.

My insurance (Aetna) continues to come through for me and has agreed to pay for the Computer Navigation and Assistance Surgeon even though my doctor's office warned me that some insurance companies refuse these as 'unnecessary'.

The surgeon is supposed to write the Rx for the cold therapy machine (basically an Igloo with a submersble fish pump that circulates ice water through a hose and into pads you put on instead of ice packs.) You guys know me, as high tech as possible.

They are still talking about my POSSIBLY doing this as 'outpatient' so we'll may see if I am tough enough for that.

Seriously, if I am not able enough, it's better to stay a day or so, because my wife isn't strong enough nor healthy enough to move me around. She'll be great (most of the time) about fetching ice packs and meds but I will need to get myself in and out of bed or up from chairs and the toilet etc.

Peter_C hasn't posted the details of his knees so far (AFAIK) but that would be interesting to read.

Peter, have you posted your joint replacement journey anywhere we can take a look?

I am hoping that my joint replacements will go just about like my CPAP therapy -- can you be a poster child for more than one medical technology? Smile

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 07:19 PM by herbm.)
08-15-2014 12:58 AM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

Wishing you good luck Herb.
08-15-2014 02:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Thanks, I will take all the luck available though I am working my butt off to make my own luck. Smile

The nurse called back to day with encouraging news on the Polar Ice cold therapy machine -- she will continue checking on Monday and probably the hospital will issue it to me and let me take it home.

Getting excited.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

08-15-2014 07:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 11,380 12-24-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,366 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm