Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

RE: Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm!
Small update:

THR is 6 weeks post-op today. Wound is healed; hip has more ROM and mobility than it had before the hip went bad; worked out for the last couple of weeks (2 hours per night) at Combatives & Self-Defense; took about 20-30 easy falls last night, most of them on the procedure side (just the way it works out when people are taking me down from an attack.)

My surgeon has cautioned me to give it 6 weeks for full bone growth into the implants so we can pretty much call this a PERFECT Total Hip Replacement (1/2 second of pain was the total with a SMALL bit of soreness in the quad.)

Also, the BTKR is 3 weeks pre-op today. I am (still) like a kid waiting for Christmas: so ready to do this.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
09-30-2014 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

You get to be HAPPY~! You can work the knees as hard as you feel like you can from day one (unless your Ortho says different) - RoM first, then strength Smile

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
09-30-2014 10:31 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Ortho will give me specific precautions after surgery perhaps, but so far he is saying I can get up and walk as soon as I am able.

I didn't have any specific precautions with the hip (anterior hip replacement usually doesn't, posterior or lateral usually do have significant precautions), but he did ask me to be a little cautious until full bone growth could occur.

He knew that if he didn't do that there was no telling what I might do.

(Basically no straight leg weight lifting or anything that would put extraordinary leverage on the hip joint were about the only warnings.)

So you are correct -- with luck, I will walk the day of surgery; it remains to be seen HOW FAR and HOW WELL. Likely I will need a walker for this, but we'll see even about that.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

09-30-2014 01:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Well, saw my Ortho the other day, and it looks like an out-patient shoulder repair (scope) is in my near future. Just waiting on the scheduling phone call to set the date. I learned that they *do* have shoulder 'replacements', but they are the very last choice as they neither last very long, plus they severely limit motion. So, that is why they always try to repair before replacing a shoulder joint. (learn new stuff every day)

Herb - bout the walker comment? Get one with front wheels (cheap on Amazon, can give you the link to what I bought for myself if you like) so you can simply push it in front of you. The reason for the walker, is simply to decrease the chance of a fall. Falling is never fun, but it's much more painful and risky when you do not have much RoM. So for at least a week or so, it's a great idea - no need to use it to bare/bear(??) weight, just for balance issues.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
10-04-2014 04:07 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Actually, I have both canes and a walker.

My wife's mother had one so when she died we inherited it. Quite a nice one with bicycle style brakes, a seat, and everything. (Well, no bell or whistle. Smile )

If they offer me a 'light weight' one post-surgery to bring home, likely I will take it also. (It's free for me now.)

Falling is not a particularly large risk for me -- though I would probably prefer to avoid it with stiff, sore knees.

I still teach falling as part of my self-defense group, and can do so on pretty much any surface, or even restricted areas.

The other night at 6-weeks post-op I took about 25 falls demonstrating to beginners and allowing my training partners to practice.

My falls have been specialized for stiff knees for almost a decade, so it's something I can likely do safely even immediately post surgery (although it probably wouldn't be pleasant either.)

After the hip surgery, I took a couple of low falls 7-days post op -- from my knees on a mat and carefully -- because a large part of falling safely is the confidence to just let it happen without struggling or resisting.

FYI: We have a cane from Carol's mother as well, but I bought a pair of "HurryCanes".

HurryCanes are actually quite nice -- a little pricy at $40 (all in) but much safer than regular single footed canes. The regular cane will slip when it hits a puddle by the dogs water dish in the kitchen but the HurryCane practically never slips.

I am planning on skipping crutches, going straight from walker to the two canes. All that was needed after the hip replacement was a single cane -- even from the first few minutes -- and that was more for my knees than my hip.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

10-04-2014 04:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

I'm a big guy, have always been a big guy. When a big guy falls, you either learn to do it well, or you break things. Out of sheer necessity, I've learned to fall 'well' as I've been doing it regularly for the last 30+ years. When I came home from my right hip replacement (old-style, long scar) I was drugged-up too much. Right after my lovely wife got me in bed for some reason I decided to get out of bed and try to walk (like prior to surgery) and promptly fell (hardwood floor). Took me a while to figure out how to get back up, but I didn't hurt anything-lucky me.

I've heard of so many people falling and breaking a wrist, etc... Really? Even 'little' people...

**Well - to me, 'falling well', means the fall itself does not create any lasting damage to me. It may look ungraceful, I may get dirty or wet, sometimes even a bruise - but no real damage.

10-04-2014 05:20 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

That is actually a pretty good definition of falling well, or falling effectively: "No lasting damage."

Probably slightly better would be, "No lasting damage, and no damage than significantly limits immediate mobility and the capability to keep fighting."

This is the goal in real life falls, including combat situations: Falling well enough that you can keep fighting and that there is no lasting damage.

Practice falling should offer VERY limited bruising and VERY limited scrapes, scratches, or other wounds.

For combat and real life falls, the idea is to avoid breaking or spraining anything, as well as not knocking yourself unconscious and being able to get back up with no significant issues.

Scratches and bruises are acceptable for rare real life falls, but need to be avoided in practice to ensure further practice is possible and that current practice isn't too unpleasant. (The reason most practice is on mats.)

We do however practice SOME falls on hard floors and even concrete or blacktop.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

10-04-2014 08:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

7-weeks post of THR; 2 weeks pre-op BTKR today (10/07/2014).

Last night at almost 7-weeks post-op, I took my first "unexpected fall" at Combatives & Self-Defense. I actually expected the possibility enough to have moved us inside and onto the mats (off the concrete), but this was not during a falling or takedown exercise, it just happened while demonstrating how to get a BIG push off from an attacker.

Landed on the procedure hip with no ill effects. The main tricks to falling are to just allowing it to happen, find the ground smoothly, and use as much surface area as possible.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

10-07-2014 09:10 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Peter_C & herbm

The progress that both of you have after surgical procedures is really interesting to me. I am curious as to how you arrived at that point? I belong to a local Senior center and have heard horror stories about awful outcomes when people have had hip replacement or knee replacement surgery. Could it possibly be their own person attitude before the surgery or the skill of their particular surgeon? I don't think it is as much their age as it is their attitude, but that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

I have an Auntie who is 93 years old and had hip replacement 3 years ago. She really impressed me because of the impressive way she approached her particular situation before the surgery. She did take a little longer to heal but she now walks with a cane in her home and uses a walker when she goes shopping. I can only hope for such an outcome should I need that type of surgery.
10-07-2014 10:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Got a date for my left shoulder repair (out-patient) for Monday Oct 20th. I am roughly 11 weeks post-op on the right knee replacement, and currently stuck at 3 degrees - it seems to be due to a too-tight hamstring (too many years bone-on-bone) so we are focusing on stretching it more and more.

Speaking for myself - how well you do after a joint replacement depends on three things:

*How well you listen to your Ortho-and follow their instructions

*PT/Rehab - it's not fun, and depending on the joint can be a lot of work, but the effort you put in during rehab will decide how the joint does for you in the future.

*The shape you are in prior to the repair/replacement, and how bad the joint being replaced is.

I am in poor shape-much better in the last five years, but still considered in bad shape, weight, etc. And, my joints are/were really bad - so, that meant (for me) more rehab time, more effort on my part.

Most 'average' people go back to work 8 to 12 weeks after replacement. At week 11, I still need a cane out of the house, and am still in PT. But I am at the 'bad' end of the chart.

And yes, you are right, attitude-having the right frame of mind goes a long ways in this process~! This is my one chance to make my quality of life better, and if I don't do it now, I won't get another chance.

10-07-2014 12:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 11,382 12-24-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,367 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm