Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

RE: Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm!
Yes, I used the Hip Replacement as a trial run for the Bilateral Knee Replacement to ensure that EVERYTHING worked and that I knew as much as possible about how to have a successful recovery and rehabilitation.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
10-23-2014 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

his wife posted on another forum but didn't say anything other than Peter can't help with yard work right now so I suppose that he is holding his own as she didn't say anything about him having problems and she didn't say anything about pain, etc.
10-23-2014 06:58 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

sorry for the time lapse. Am one finger typing right now as my left arm is in a sling til further notice. Do not even remember the email with SS - sorry.

The numbing agent put in my shoulder (supposed to cut most of the pain) leaked out (some, all??) within 4hrs of coming home. I am on only my 'regular' pain meds/doses, as the theory was the numbing agent combined with my regular pain meds would be enough. Oh well...

My lovely wife Cindy is so paranoid that she has been watching me sleep for the last four days. i am sleeping with my oximeter with the o2 alarm set, just in case. am having to sleep sitting up in bed. I see the ortho Monday, will learn what all he did. Hope to get my meds increased for a bit, we shall see.

i have periods of zero pain, then it zooms to a 6-7 in a spike/hot knife, then drifts away. or i change position slightly and my entire shoulder 'burns' 5-6 for 20 minutes. very up and down.

i'm a bad boy and have yet to put the knee brace back on since monday. today is my first day out of the bedroom, as whitewabit pointed out, not enough meds for comfort, just enough to keep me from going to the ER...

Sounds like herb is having fun? Herb, did you walk much on surgery day? is it all you had expected it to be? i do hope you are doing well!

took almost 30 minutes to type this-hehe.. will check in later.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
10-24-2014 05:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Great to hear from you Peter. Good job typing all that stuff with one hand!

Sleeping sitting up in bed isn't all that much fun. Do you own a nice comfy chair? Like a recliner? If not, ask Cindy if she would mind just hanging you up in the closet at night.
10-24-2014 06:01 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

no recliner. we did think about the closet, but need someone to install a strong hook (i can't right now).

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
10-25-2014 12:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Peter I am so glad you are making it and so sorry it is not an easy time for you.

Maybe you could get one of those harnesses the movie people use to "stage a hanging" scene on video?

Saw this done as a prank by a troubled teen on that new TV Series "The Affair" -- near the beginning, his dad (the star) comes up to the kids room to find out what is delaying him joining the family vacation. The brat is hanging there, faking his own suicide.

Your wife could just hang you up and let you down when she has time to watch over you. Wink

I am having a great time -- I am LiTERALLY on a GREAT vacation. I returned home about the time you were posting that first 1-finger message above (5:45 Oct 24th) and even with two hands, 10 fingers, and very little pain it was tough to write such a message so *I* am HIGHLY IMPRESSED by your ability to string a coherent message together while you are so much less comfortable that you would prfere and using only 1 finger.

Call me if you wish, as we previously discussed, and we'll work through some exercises to determine if those are of any value TO YOU.

Do NOT put that knee brace back on until YOU feel that it will do you more good than not, Ok?

Put that brace on as soon as it is the right and most effective thing to do to improve YOUR situation, current and future health.

Your wife continues to sound like a beautiful gem -- we're just trying to figure out what YOU did to get her to LOVE YOU.

You 6-7 knives and 5-6 burning sounds very difficult to deal with or put aside and I am HIGHLY IMPRESSED by your ability to keep going. (I don't think most people know how uncomfortable a "5" is on a true scale; they tend to call every bad an 8, 9 or even 10 -- on an accurate scale there must be room for levels that most people have never even dreamed of.)

A 10? That's the one where the Vampires in TrueBlood (great TV series) "greet the sun" and explode into a big pile of vampire goo. Smile

I haven't seen much in the way of a 2 over the last few days, and cannot testify to any 3's though I have had a few brief excursions there tonight when arriving home tire.

Really though, it was more fatigue than discomfort (3 hours sleep Thu night, awake for 14+ hours on Friday, 6 hours with a 4-hour (half-dose of max) med, Exparel wearing off, and the stress of the second PT in the pool, packing to leave the hospital, and the trip home, plus setting up once we arrived home.)

And of course the puppies had to get me to play briefly with them too. (170 lbs of puppies packaged in all white and all gold.)

I made (at least one) minor, tactical error: Scheduling the trip home to overlap the likely exhaustion of the Exparel.

BTW, it SOUNDS like you had something like Bupivacaine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupivacaine infiltrated into YOUR joint.

Bupivacaine usually lasts about 7 hours (it's the most common epidural drug used for things like child birst.)

Exparel is basically "time release Bupivacaine" which is advertised as lasting "up to 72 hours" -- weasel words, but I have read the monograph on it and it really is likely to have a 72 hour efficacy curve.

This is also twice now that my own results have born out the advertisement even though this time the surgeon was required to "split the vial/dose" between two separate surgical sites whereas he put the entire dose/vial into my hip when replacing that single joint 9 weeks ago.

I slept from about 10pm until 12:30am in my recliner (and yes, that is a big boon to my recovery and wish you had one) so feeling pretty good now. (Good enough to write the above.)

The TWO Polar Care cold therapy machines have been happily chilling my knees for the last 4 hours as well.

My meds are caught up, though I can now have a full does of 2 more Percoset (Oxy+Tylonol) now (1:45 AM).

The sleep refreshed me, and now I am going to figure out what the best next step is.

(My choices include going to bed dragging the two Polar Care machines, watching TV and/or eating again. s in my recliner with the 2 machines, take some more oxy or Norco [hydrocodone + Tylenol], play on the Internet, etc.)

I am almost certainly NOT going to work on setting up the CPM machine (by myself) and certainly not going to drive anywhere Smile Carol is asleep and I don't know anyone who would want to visit or talk this late at night Smile

Thus the chatting here on this forum which is a BIG PART of my recovery strategy.

Unfortunately they banned me on the BoneSmart Forum (hip and knee joint replacement) so I can't go over there to read, comment, and chat with others dealing with similar issues.

You are all I have Peter Wink Along with the other kind folks here who are taking an interest in my recovery.

Seriously Pete, you MIGHT want to check it out and see if reading and asking questions over there is of any value too you.

They really are nice people mostly and very well-informed about joint surgery and replacements.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2014 07:11 AM by herbm.)
10-25-2014 01:32 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

why would nice people ban you from BoneSmart?
10-25-2014 10:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(10-25-2014 10:10 AM)me50 Wrote:  why would nice people ban you from BoneSmart?

Nice people would not.

Herb and Pete, you both are an inspiration to the rest of us. I do hope a parts replacement will not be in my future, but if it is just watching you two get it done would help me tremendously.

I do think it is wise to complain mightily about a pain of 1 or 2. That way when something worse comes along I'll get even more sympathy.
10-25-2014 11:12 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

i have bounced around bonesmart in the last few weeks, seems like a great place to learn or get some hand-holding. not really my thing.

yes, i bet you're correct about the 'numbing agent' - a pity that some/most/all leaked out onto the bandages instead of staying inside my shoulder.

everyone handles pain differently. what might be a '3' to me might be a '1' to herb, or a '5'. PPS=Personal Pain Scale. 1 to 10, one being very minor, ten being the worst pain you can imagine, or the worst you ever felt. For 'me', a five is where i can't focus on what i am reading, my fuse is very short, i can't really do anything other than think about the pain. when at a 'five' i am actively trying to find a way to reduce the pain, can't sleep/eat/or enjoy myself at all.

if my pain hits a 'seven' and is constant (big difference between sudden and temp, vs constant pain), either i've already taken something to lower it, or i am on the way to the ER (and all the BS about drug seeking behavior). Some many years ago, i slipped, fell, and dislocated my right knee for the first time. it stayed popped out, and the paramedics were too wussy to pop it back in for me. So my knee was out for around a total of 15 minutes or so til we got to the ER-that in my book is a constant 'seven'. it is enough that some people could go into shock (shock is really weird, but that's another topic).

R_G - my pain doc could care less if i was at a constant '3' 24/7/365 - which 'is' sad. because a constant '3' will cause depression in many people, and generally make daily life suck.

10-25-2014 03:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(10-25-2014 11:12 AM)retired_guy Wrote:  Herb and Pete, you both are an inspiration to the rest of us. I do hope a parts replacement will not be in my future, but if it is just watching you two get it done would help me tremendously.

food for thought? the time for repair/replacement is when the cost/hassle/pain of getting it done is far out-weighed by the pain and poor quality of life you are currently having.

Typical bad hip pain for a lot of guys is like being kicked in the groin + a very real chance of a fall at the same moment-you ever got any of that herb?

10-25-2014 03:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 11,382 12-24-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,367 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm