Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

RE: Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm!
I am not going to openly argue the case of BoneSmart banning me. I will be to give (more) details if anyone is really interested but would prefer to do that somewhere semi-private (maybe the Advisory area if SuperSleeper doesn't mind and everyone interested is a member of that.

The 'charge' was "Giving medical advice.' (Twice).

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
10-25-2014 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

My wife, 'FLGirl', was also banned due to her association with me and posting about my surgery (without mentioning my name, without lying, without misleading, and without argument.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

10-25-2014 09:41 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Saw the Ortho today,(one week post-op) I can start PT in a week, and I can slowly start using it more. Not like the last one where I couldn't do anything for 2 months.

Right now I am trying to type with both hands and am getting 'twinges' as I type. It boggles me when I compare a shoulder 'scope' to a knee 'scope; with a knee scope, take it easy for a day or two, and then life is normal - but the shoulder. we're talking 3-4 months of rehab.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
10-27-2014 07:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

(10-25-2014 03:40 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 11:12 AM)retired_guy Wrote:  Herb and Pete, you both are an inspiration to the rest of us. I do hope a parts replacement will not be in my future, but if it is just watching you two get it done would help me tremendously.

food for thought? the time for repair/replacement is when the cost/hassle/pain of getting it done is far out-weighed by the pain and poor quality of life you are currently having.

Typical bad hip pain for a lot of guys is like being kicked in the groin + a very real chance of a fall at the same moment-you ever got any of that herb?

I wouldn't disagree Peter though for me the pain of the hip was never as bad (momentarily) or as intense as getting a good whack in the groin.

My hips didn't bother me -- were totally asymptomatic -- until April 2014.

You guys were wondering where I disappeared and the hip pain was a big part of what happened. I started and got my OWN CPAP running good (with help from folks here) in Feb, Mar, and Apr, then the pain hit in my hip.

[Also, work became really busy about this time with my new job -- same company but different bosses and responsibilities plus they forced me to become an actual employee rather than a contractor.]

Not really a bad pain, not very severe, but it went from the first ache while driving home from combatives practice to being almost intolerable and practically constant within two weeks.

It was a 2 or 3 on a 10 point scale but it just would not let me be, not let me rest, not let me sleep, not let me relax....

I didn't sleep (well, through the night) all through May, then the (first surgeon) put me on Diclofenac which knocked down about 70% of the pain and discomfort so that finally I could sleep, rest, and drive without serious problems.

Back in Dec, I had made an appointment for the first week of January with the orthopedic surgeon (OS) to decide if it was time to replace my knees -- after 47 years of injuries, wear, and tear.

My new insurance (and sick leave) were due to kick in for 2014 -- I had been a contractor and didn't want to be an employee with my company as it would cost me a LOT of money.

Part of the trade-off was the health care (I bought my own for almost 20 years) and the fact that as an employee I could get paid for sick time (and some vacation etc.)

As a contractor, my pay would have been cut had I taken off for surgery and rehabilitation.

But they FORCED me to become an employee by saying that otherwise they would let all the contractors go.

The irony is that after 47 years of living with some level of knee pain problems but no real issues with the hip (except tightness which was typical of ALL of my joints), the hip went faster and more severely in just weeks.

Truthfully, I could have kept going on the old knees once the hip was fixed. It turns out that even though the hip SEEMED asymptomatic, the instabilities in the hip were feeding my knee problems which were not quite as bad as I had thought.

Today was one week Post Op for the knees and I can assure you already that these knees feel "like a part of me" already and are going to be MUCH better than the one's I traded in.

Also amazingly my mobility and flexibility are astounding, even in the hamstrings and lower back. I just BEND OVER and pick up anything that I need without bending the knees.

Once these babies bend easily it's going to be a LOT of fun to use them.

So my knees and hip likely cost about $23,000 each (I don't know and will not be paying, even a co-pay, for them.)

I guess that makes me the $69,000 man. (RG, I know there is a joke in there somewhere and hope you will pick up the gauntlet.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 03:12 AM by herbm.)
10-28-2014 10:56 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(10-28-2014 10:56 PM)herbm Wrote:  I guess that makes me the $69,000 man. (RG, I know there is a joke in there somewhere and hope you will pick up the gauntlet.)

Ummm, nope.... Family site. Can't think of a thing!.... Nope, not going there.
10-29-2014 11:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 11,423 12-24-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,373 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm