Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blister in nose from nasal pillow
RE: Blister in nose from nasal pillow
I agree: Lanolin (brand "Lansinoh" in the USA, sold in nursing mother departments) and larger nasal pillows.

I get the "For Her" mask kit, and it only includes size XS, S, and M. Nurse thought S looked right, from looking at me. I quickly moved up to the M, just to get enough oxygen through it. They once accidentally sent a "For Him" (i.e. not designated For Her) kit once, so I got a chance to try the size L pillows. Much nicer! For me, it was also a huge help because MORE AIR goes through it, and I no longer felt suffocated. I have lots of nasal constriction, so I need the maximum air flow without much "sucking" effort on my part. Size L pillows has been a huge help! Also, they don't go very far into my nose, but rest just inside the nasal opening. Less skin irritation. I keep the Lanolin around (a tube will last forever) and occasionally use it again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2018, 02:43 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I agree:  Lanolin (brand "Lansinoh" in the USA, sold in nursing mother departments)  and larger nasal pillows.  

I get the "For Her" mask kit, and it only includes size XS, S, and M.   Nurse thought S looked right, from looking at me.  I quickly moved up to the M, just to get enough oxygen through it.  They once accidentally sent a "For Him"  (i.e.  not designated For Her) kit once, so I got a chance to try the size L pillows.  Much nicer!  For me, it was also a huge help because MORE AIR goes through it, and I no longer felt suffocated.   I have lots of nasal constriction, so I need the maximum air flow without much "sucking" effort on my part.  Size L pillows has been a huge help!   Also,  they don't go very far into my nose, but rest just inside the nasal opening.  Less skin irritation.  I keep the Lanolin around (a tube will last forever) and occasionally use it again.

That is exactly the right brand to get.  "Lansinoh' goes by the same brand name here in Canada also.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use lip balm a.k.a., chap stick or similar  on my nostrils every night. It's convenient and not messy. Haven't had a blister yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 03:00 PM)Marillion Wrote: How long have you actually had the P10?  Are you using it daily?  

Use Lanolin as often during the day as possible.  What is happening is that you are getting micro tears in your skin from the P10 nasal pillows and your skin under your nose not being used to the contact.  This is common when you first start using nasal pillows.  What is not commonly known is that Neosporin is not actually that effective as an antibacterial agent.  There is barely enough medication in there to make a difference.  It can also have the side effect under lots of use to prevent healing.  My advice is to just keep the area clean and use Lanolin during the day as often as possible.  Eventually, your nares (skin under your nose) will adapt and "toughen up" so to speak so that you will not get any further sores from using the P10 daily.  This has also been my own personal experience.

I agree with this above summary. I would only add one point. Once every couple of months I feel the nasal pillows are uncomfortable to wear and need a break. Even though my nose is not sore. I switch to the full mask for a couple days to give my nose a break.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on recommendations (from this forum I think) I use Lansinoh which is for women with sore or cracked nipples from breast feeding. It works very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar problem. I originally just learned to switch to a Dreamwear every 4 days, use for 3 days, and then switch back to the P10. I went to a larger pillow and that solved the problem up until a week ago when the air rather dried out in the house with the furnace running so often. Now I'm back to swapping between the Dreamwear and the P10 again. Works for me. If you have a sensitivity to silicon, you might consider switching to Circadian masks (cloth).
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I replied to this...guess not.  I'd see an ENT doc to see if you have a blockage (nose or sinuses).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.