Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bloated Stomach/ Air swallowing
Bloated Stomach/ Air swallowing
Was told by my doctor to elevate my head with a wedge pillow maybe 7 inches to help with swallowing air problem. I use a FFM Quattro Air and just picked up the FFM new Amana today. Has anyone purchased a memory foam wedge and where ? I looked on Amazon & Bed Bath and Beyond however reviews are confusing. It would be possible to elevate my mattress or bed frame so the wedge is the only answer for me! I finally downloaded Sleepyhead and my numbers:
AHI 0.33 Compliance100. Average Leaks 15.96 (however I do not turn off when I get up to go to restroom). Average pressure 9.00 Max 13.00
I have AutoSet 37028 Airsense 10 RemStar auto with A Flex (560P)and have been struggling since 11/10/14.

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wedge Pillow Help
(08-10-2015, 01:06 PM)Judy1843 Wrote: Was told by my doctor to elevate my head with a wedge pillow maybe 7 inches to help with swallowing air problem. I use a FFM Quattro Air and just picked up the FFM new Amana today. Has anyone purchased a memory foam wedge and where ? I looked on Amazon & Bed Bath and Beyond however reviews are confusing. It would be possible to elevate my mattress or bed frame so the wedge is the only answer for me! I finally downloaded Sleepyhead and my numbers:
AHI 0.33 Compliance100. Average Leaks 15.96 (however I do not turn off when I get up to go to restroom). Average pressure 9.00 Max 13.00
I have AutoSet 37028 Airsense 10 RemStar auto with A Flex (560P)and have been struggling since 11/10/14.

Thanks!!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bloated Stomach/ Air swallowing
Hi Judy1843,
If you can't raise the head of your bed, you could try a wedge pillow but I'm not sure how high of a wedge that you will need.
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 01:06 PM)Judy1843 Wrote: Was told by my doctor to elevate my head with a wedge pillow maybe 7 inches to help with swallowing air problem. I use a FFM Quattro Air and just picked up the FFM new Amana today. Has anyone purchased a memory foam wedge and where ? I looked on Amazon & Bed Bath and Beyond however reviews are confusing. It would be possible to elevate my mattress or bed frame so the wedge is the only answer for me! I finally downloaded Sleepyhead and my numbers:

Thanks!!
Hi Judy, Your machine is still set on the factory default settings, so either you are yet to have a sleep study done, or your machine has not been set up for you. If you are getting a pressure rise as high as toward 20, you will get aerophagia (bloating). I suggest lowering your upper pressure to say 14 and your lower to say 7 or 8, & giving that a try. Few patients ever benefit from really high upper pressures . Such pressures create many undesirable effects. I can't see any benefit from a wedge pillow, unless it was placed under the shoulders to raise them higher than the head - that would open the airway. but would take some getting used to.
Good luck.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Judy!

What woozie said.
Also you need to get SleepyHead software going.
That will help you figure out all kinds of things you can fine tune.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 03:16 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Welcome Judy!

What woozie said.
Also you need to get SleepyHead software going.
That will help you figure out all kinds of things you can fine tune.

Cheers!
My son helped me get SleepyHead however I'm not great at this and not sure how to read my info. I'm a little overwhelmed now and I just had a cardio version that caused some brain fog After being in afib.I know that it is very important that I stay with my cpap. I'm having a cardiac ablation surgery next month and will hopefully get my afib under control. I tried a new Amara mask last night and was ok until it starting leaking at 4am. It did seem to work and I did not have the bloating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well-done

We'll take it one disaster at a time here, that's what we're here for.

Best of luck with your procedures, keep in touch!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks!!

Sleeping elevated will help with air swallowing. You will have to experiment with different ways to overcome this problem. Google Aerophagia.

I see you are listing two different machines. Can you be more specific which one you are using? Also if your average pressure is 9cm, you should not be at a starting pressure of 4.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 11:29 PM)woozie38 Wrote:

Thanks!!
Hi Judy, Your machine is still set on the factory default settings, so either you are yet to have a sleep study done, or your machine has not been set up for you. If you are getting a pressure rise as high as toward 20, you will get aerophagia (bloating). I suggest lowering your upper pressure to say 14 and your lower to say 7 or 8, & giving that a try. Few patients ever benefit from really high upper pressures . Such pressures create many undesirable effects. I can't see any benefit from a wedge pillow, unless it was placed under the shoulders to raise them higher than the head - that would open the airway. but would take some getting used to.
Good luck.

(07-24-2015, 05:05 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: The simplus is a great mask, love it
Thank you so much! I went to my DME on Monday and read to her this post. She told me my pressure release was off and she set it at 3. What a wonderful improvement that was! Sure wish my doctore could have helped me sooner! Maybe time find a new doctor! Thank you again!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Judy1843' pid='125797' dateline='1439230011']

Judy1843,
Request the clinicians manual for your machine (see top of page). You will need to specify what machine you have. You state:

"I have AutoSet 37028 Airsense 10 RemStar auto with A Flex (560P)and have been struggling since 11/10/14."

These are two different machines. Which one do you have?

Your pressure range of 4-20 is a default factory setting. If your average is around 9cm, then you would feel much better setting it to start at 7. Sometimes it feels as if you are not getting enough air at 4.
Your top pressure of 20 should be lowered to 13. You want to keep that top pressure as low as possible so as not to make the Aerophagia any worse.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 319 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,250 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 681 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  Playing around with pressure, CA's? Sometimes wake up bloated/gassy jkang9080 3 462 07-31-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 606 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 554 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 791 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.