Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Block mouth leakby tongue on roof of mouth ?
Block mouth leakby tongue on roof of mouth ?
I started cpap 6 weeks ago in a full face mask. Im going to try a nasal mask in a couple weeks. In my full mask even if my lips are closed shut, if my tongue drops down from the roof of my mouth I get air and chickmonk cheeks in a seconds time.  Been trying to train myself to keep my tongue on my mouth roof as it has caused me a lot of proplems with constant chickmonk mouth.  It wakes me up instantly as   my cheeks fill like there going to explode and i cant breath.   My  jaw allways drops just a very little. And I  need it to or I clench my teeth and get TJM problems in my jaw.  But most the time I still keep my  lips closed even though my jaw is slightly droped. But sometimes my lips slightly open.  I was wondering if this happens in a nasal mask and I still keep my tongue  on my mouth roof if I would not have any mouth leaks in   a nasal mask even if my lips were very slightly open. If it keeps my nose air from going in my mouth i  wondered if it would keep my mouth air from leeking into my nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Block mouth leakby tongue on roof of mouth ?
Even with a full face mask you should primarily be breathing through your nose while wearing the mask.

Wearing a nose mask won't stop air escaping out your mouth if you don't train yourself to breathe through your nose as a subconscious sleep habit (and even then you will occasionally open your mouth while asleep).

There is a technique of holding water in your mouth for extended periods while awake to improve the muscle memory for keeping the mouth closed and breathing through your nose.

At the bottom of the page in your thread here you should see links to other posts on the subject as well.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks .       P.S -  In my case they really are  Big Grin spelling/grammar errors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funny Okay

I do find it annoying that every electronic device I have automatically corrects to American English even when set to Australian English or British English as the default.. but that's a topic for a different section of the forum.
Thinking-about

Hope you are making progress.
Cheers
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW it doesn't matter if your jaw drops or your lips open. They have nothing to do with your chipmunk cheeks. With your tongue in the correct position, you can open your mouth and air will not escape. It's how you can test the tongue position.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks , thats what
  i was really wondering about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 92 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.