Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
RE: Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
I have the same problem, too, which is why I pursued the whole sleep apnea problem from the beginning. I first noticed it in 1997 when I had a c6 - c7 anterior spine fusion in my neck. For two months I had to wear a Philadelphia Collar which restricted my neck movement. When I laid on my back with that collar on, my neck was in such a position that every single time I would go into a deep sleep, my throat would close thus waking me up not being able to breath.

Fast-forward to this past spring, I found myself being awakened throughout the night, sometimes out of breath and on several occasions realizing I was on my back but unable to exhale. I told my ENT about this when I had nasal septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery this past July, he didn't seem too concerned. That surgery did help tremendously with my breathing as my nose was nearly always clogged, especially left nostril and especially at night.

When I found that my throat was closing upon exhale when bringing my chin to my chest, I discovered I could actually make the blockage occur even while sitting up. In fact, I showed my pulmonologist just how it happens as I exhaled in front of him while bringing my chin down to my chest. It seems I can inhale to some extent in that position, however on exhale, it totally closes both my nose as well as my throat.

I started off with 5 cm pressure which wasn't enough to overcome that particular blockage. It was only by my own experimenting, by making it happen and making my ResMed ramp up that I came to find that 12 cm is the minimum pressure I need for it to not happen most of the time. I did find that more pressure stops it all the time, however higher than 12 cm and I have to clamp down on the mask so tight to prevent leaks that it opens up a whole other issue with the mask making the bridge of my nose raw.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a palate blocking my exhale problem. I have a significant problem when sitting back in a dentist chair. I almost never sleep on my back because of this.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2016, 06:37 AM)RichardVT Wrote: I did find that more pressure stops it all the time, however higher than 12 cm and I have to clamp down on the mask so tight to prevent leaks that it opens up a whole other issue with the mask making the bridge of my nose raw.

Try a different mask. 12 cm of pressure is not so high that it should be causing that problem. Many people have significantly higher pressure.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2016, 11:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 06:37 AM)RichardVT Wrote: I did find that more pressure stops it all the time, however higher than 12 cm and I have to clamp down on the mask so tight to prevent leaks that it opens up a whole other issue with the mask making the bridge of my nose raw.

Try a different mask. 12 cm of pressure is not so high that it should be causing that problem. Many people have significantly higher pressure.

Hi RichardVT,

I use RemZzz brand mask liners (two, doubled up for extra thickness) which eliminates mask flutters and lessens mask leaks so much that I do not need to tighten the straps overly tight. Two at a time lasts me a week or two before they need to be washed and ironed. (I've never gotten around to making my own liners from thicker material.)

I need to use a Full Face Mask, and I recommend the Fischer Paykel SimPlus mask. Doesn't bother my nose bridge, even though I keep the straps fairly tight because my pressures often approach 24 or 25 cm H2O.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you ever get this issue resolved? What did the ENT say? What was the solution? I have the same issue with blockage on exhale. Breathing in is no problem. But when I start to drift off to sleep, it's like a door closes off my nasal passage and I have to exhale through my mouth.  I think I also think I have that loud moaning that someone mentioned. It's not really a snore.  Trying to decide which to do first, ENT or an in home sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
I kept raising the minimum pressure till it stopped and the added 1 cm
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2017, 09:44 AM)dahoffman Wrote: Did you ever get this issue resolved? What did the ENT say? What was the solution? I have the same issue with blockage on exhale. Breathing in is no problem. But when I start to drift off to sleep, it's like a door closes off my nasal passage and I have to exhale through my mouth.  I think I also think I have that loud moaning that someone mentioned. It's not really a snore.  Trying to decide which to do first, ENT or an in home sleep study?

Do both. Call your ENT and get checked out. Possibly he can send you for a sleep study.

Do you have insurance coverage? An in lab study would be better considering your issues.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I just recently started using an APAP with a full face memory foam mask. I've tried 3 different masks and have the same problem. 

Every time I try to sleep,  laying on my back, my throat feels like it closes up when I exhale.  
Sleeping on my side  generally solves the problem, however The Mask will  push to the side allowing  the air pressure to leak out by my eye  or by the corner of my mouth. With the machine set at 25, you can just imagine how much air is being released.  The noise wakes me up and then I'm back at the beginning trying to fall asleep again. 

My ASV is set to 25  as that is the highest the home unit  system one  we'll go.  They had me at 30 during my titration. 

When I talked to the doctor about it they told me I was claustrophobic and I had to learn to breathe differently. I went back and spoke with the other doctor at the same Clinic, and explained to him that I've had the same problem my whole life, even without the mask. I, as well, am searching for any leads that might be available to solve this issue. 

During titration I was told that I stopped breathing up to 82 times in an hour. During the next hour I was at 71, so I guess that's pretty severe. 

Any tips that you found would greatly be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to add , when I'm trying to Exhale,  the forced air  that is being  pushed  into  the mask  stops my exhale before it is completed. thustly causing me to Lose My Breath. It seems like the machine is breathing faster than I breathe

At the bottom of my exhale before I'm finished with my exhale, the machine starts with the big push of air, thinking I've stopped breathing. Even when I'm awake, just wearing the mask, trying to go to sleep this happens. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity level?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried different pillows to accommodate your mask when laying on your side? A pillow firm enough so that you can hang the mask over the edge or one with cutouts that allow the mask to not get twisted. Others like the pillows stuffed with buckwheat hulls that can be shaped as necessary.

I wish that I had more suggestions for you. I am a side sleeper with a full face mask and pressure up around 20 but I have not had the problem with the mask getting pushed out of alignment and leaking. I do know that the most sensitive area to leakage is around the bridge of the nose for a lot of masks.

With my F20 and Simplus masks, I have to futz with them at least a little when I first put them on in order to eliminate the small leaks by the nose but with my Mirage Quattro, once I get it fitted properly, I just put it on and I have no leaks.

I do not know if the nasal cushion type of masks will hold up to pressure of 25 but it might be worth looking into one of them as long as you are not a mouth breather/leaker. With less material on your face, you might stand a better chance of sleeping on your side without the mask getting knocked out of alignment.

A soft cervical collar might help even with the full face mask. It might limit your head movement just enough to keep the mask in place and they only cost about $10..

Good luck

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,875 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 552 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 362 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 536 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 374 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,697 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.