Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
RE: Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
Wow, I had no idea the exhale blockage wasn't as much a thing as the inhale. My throat closes off all the time on my back. And at my heaviest (coinciding with hypothyroid signs leading to eventual diagnosis), it would happen while I was upright and puffing from exertion, which is very embarrassing with the accompanying grunt. That rarely happens now, mostly due to boxing training twice a week for the last nine months. I haven't lost any weight at all, but am a lot fitter, and no more upright grunts.

I'm having my titration study tonight as it happens, so it will be interesting to see whether my exhale blockage will be a factor, and whether I'll be having to change masks a lot in the process.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you ever resolve your problem. The same exactly thing is happening to me and I don’t know what to do. To make things worst I’m self employed and have no insurance so I pay cash every time I go to the doctor and I’m tired of seen doctor and that have no idea how to solve my problem. I have no problem paying any amount of money if i just knew for sure they will solve the problem. 

If you solved your problem please share what you had to go through to solve it. 

Thanks

Did you ever resolve your problem. The same exactly thing is happening to me and I don’t know what to do. To make things worst I’m self employed and have no insurance so I pay cash every time I go to the doctor and I’m tired of seen doctor and that have no idea how to solve my problem. I have no problem paying any amount of money if i just knew for sure they will solve the problem. 

If you solved your problem please share what you had to go through to solve it. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2015, 11:31 AM)2tired2sleep Wrote: Hey Mike! Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the exact same problem only it is with just one nostril. I have an ENT referral. I just picked up my CPAP machine for the first time and expressed the same concerns since I have the nasal mask w/ chinstrap. My GP suggested there may be a foreign object in my nose!?! WTH! If there is...its been there since I was 2...HA! I suspect that the problem may have to do with the vagus nerve which may or may not be connected to my ruptured cervical discs at C3-4 and C6-7? I am very curious what happened with you!?!  

Interesting! I have the same blockage on exhale problem and also degenerate cervical disks C3-C6 resulting in nerve compression (my arms go numb if I sleep wrong). This exhale congestion symptom is rare enough that of the many doctor's I've seen, none have never heard of it, yet the internet population is large such that the few of us experiencing this have been able to connect and confirm it's existence.

In effort to fix this, I've had a turbinectomy and septoplasty done by the ENT.  Also, after a sleep study, I was prescribed a CPAP. Neither has helped to resolve the sinus congestion.   

Over the many years of experiencing this cyclic blockage throughout the night, I noticed a close connection between tight muscles in the neck+back and  swelling of the area between the rear upper throat that restricts the airway. Stretching and reliving these back muscles reliably relieves the blockage -  often in less than 60 seconds! I explained this nightly routine to my ENT doctor and she dismissed it, saying there was no anatomical link between the back muscles and sinus. However, I told her I could prove it right there in the office. She examined my nose with the endoscope, saw that it was congested. I then did my muscular stretch. Upon reexamining the sinus, the ENT confirmed that it had cleared. She was totally perplexed and had no explanation also mentioning that she's never seen anything like this before. 

The stretches relieve what I believe to be tight trapezius and levator scapulae muscles.   A physical therapist mentioned that it might be related to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS). I have not confirmed the TOS, but the stretch I perform does involve the shoulders in a way that might open up the thoracic outlet. 

If anyone is interested in more detail about these stretches, let me know and I'll write something up.
Perhaps we can collectively experiment to find a solution or at least better identify the problem.

~Rolan
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that issue. I fixed it by increasing my min pressure, till it was high enough to keep my airway open on exhale.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
MikeMKY,

This problem is more common than one would think based on comments from the Dr. Park web site.

I have it.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Best,

Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
Rolan,

I would be interested in the particulars of the stretches. In return, I will post my results.

Interesting also will be my results since I don't have the back issues. We can see if it is a universal solution.

I've been wondering also if there might not be a liquid solution of some kind (e.g., including lemon?) that can be gargled prior to sleep such that uvula and the soft tissue in the nasopharanx would shrink back for about 8 hours. One can always hope.

Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
Gargle with salt water.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2018, 01:23 PM)Joe Loiacono Wrote: Rolan,

I would be interested in the particulars of the stretches. In return, I will post my results.

Interesting also will be my results since I don't have the back issues. We can see if it is a universal solution.

I've been wondering also if there might not be a liquid solution of some kind (e.g., including lemon?) that can be gargled prior to sleep such that uvula and the soft tissue in the nasopharanx would shrink back for about 8 hours. One can always hope.

Joe

It's hard to describe in only words, so I downloaded a iphone app for posing figures and pasted them into a document

You can see the positions with descriptions here: https://goo.gl/dGS2Wq

I'll attach a copy of it as a PDF document also.

Let me know if it works.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   traprelease.pdf (Size: 194.9 KB / Downloads: 28)
Post Reply Post Reply
I found once I increased my min pressure enough to stop it. after a month, I was able to reduce it a bit. I think it also inflames the soft tissue. It seems that there are a few factors in play.
for now, I think the solution is the same as inhale apnea, you increase the min pressure to create an air splint.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2018, 08:49 PM)rolan Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 01:23 PM)Joe Loiacono Wrote: Rolan,

Joe

It's hard to describe in only words, so I downloaded a iphone app for posing figures and pasted them into a document

You can see the positions with descriptions here: https://goo.gl/dGS2Wq

I'll attach a copy of it as a PDF document also.

Let me know if it works.

I'd like to add that I'm not a doctor or physical therapist. This is just something I discovered that works for me.

~Rolan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 357 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 534 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 373 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,688 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.