Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
RE: Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
(12-18-2013, 03:44 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I strongly second the recommendation to see an ENT about it...the sleep tech wasn't qualified to handle your problem, threw the chin strap at you just to get you out the door.  ENT should definitely be able to figure out what the problem is.  GP or Internist might be able to figure out and fix problem, if not can refer you to a good ENT.

Whatever is going on, I don't think blockage on exhale is a very common problem and it really needs to be addressed/checked out by a good doc.

Sleep-well

I talked to two, they both seemed clueless.  I couldn't believe it. It is NOT that hard to understand!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(12-19-2013, 10:33 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Sewing a tennis ball into the back of an old t-shirt is a good way to keep you from sleeping on your back.  My apnea is much worse when I'm on my back.  I think I've conditioned myself over the years to instinctively avoid sleeping on my back because it does cause my airway to collapse.  I have noticed that, like you, I get a blockage on exhale.  It happened during my sleep study.

the problem is that a lot of people need to be able to sleep on their back due to arthritis issues.

I am seriously thinking of buying a M.A.T. (medical and therapeutic) positioning system to just sleep on my stomach comfortably from time to time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2018, 09:55 PM)terriergal Wrote:
(12-19-2013, 10:33 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Sewing a tennis ball into the back of an old t-shirt is a good way to keep you from sleeping on your back.  My apnea is much worse when I'm on my back.  I think I've conditioned myself over the years to instinctively avoid sleeping on my back because it does cause my airway to collapse.  I have noticed that, like you, I get a blockage on exhale.  It happened during my sleep study.

the problem is that a lot of people need to be able to sleep on their back due to arthritis issues.

I am seriously thinking of buying a M.A.T. (medical and therapeutic) positioning system to just sleep on my stomach comfortably from time to time.

I tried the M.A.T. and it was hard as rock, sent it back.  I  do have a portable massage table with face cradle that i set up when I'm desperate, in order to sleep on my front without having to have my neck in a bad position. But it's not as comfortable as an actual mattress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried increasing the min pressure 1cm at a time to see if the increased air splint will clear it? It worked for me and may be worth trying.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap from machine data, or software. Set the min pressure at 'med' median pressure or 90% OR 2cm below 95% pressure. max pressure at 20cm for now. Forum will help you fine tune settings
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
For me, increasing EPAP up to 15.2 did not resolve the exhale blockage nor showed much improvement over regular EPAP=9, 10.
Even higher EPAP pressure might splint it but that high pressure was already very disruptive to sleep, much more than the few episodes of palatal prolapse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes.  I had it up to 13 and all I ended up with was a stomach full of air (if i prevented air leaking from my mouth) or (without such prevention) my mouth  blowing open and waking me up. And the palate still flapped shut like a heart valve sealing against the back flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2019, 03:19 AM)yrnkrn Wrote: For me, increasing EPAP up to 15.2 did not resolve the exhale blockage nor showed much improvement over regular EPAP=9, 10.
Even higher EPAP pressure might splint it but that high pressure was already very disruptive to sleep, much more than the few episodes of palatal prolapse.

I agree, I have the same exact problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Palate still closing on exhale terriergal 34 1,226 05-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Resmed F10 mask "jumps" on exhale umpire318 6 1,540 05-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Mer Ri Ly
  Very confused [problem: exhale with nasal pillows] mrb268 10 1,284 04-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Last Post: DavidB62
Sad My life has become living hell [nose blockage] arc0509 47 3,294 03-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Last Post: terriergal
  Throat closes during exhale Eurotrekker 11 2,157 03-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Last Post: terriergal
  Can nasal blockage be the reason for below average tidal volume? Michaely6 5 340 02-08-2019, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Michaely6
  prisma soft file bibi 1 176 02-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.