Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
RE: Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate
I would keep trying full face masks till you get one that wins.

Cheers!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2013, 12:58 PM)mikemky Wrote: Thanks for all the replies! I made an appointment with an ENT on Monday. Btw, I'm not sure if CPAP can prevent a blockage on exhale - by definition, the air is flowing in the other direction when you exhale.

That's true. But if the blockage is complete there's no flow of air at all.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I has same trouble as you.

I find another link about this.

That link said CAPA open air passway when exhale and inhale.

Of course, author can not exhale well when sleep on his back with CAPA, but on his side is OK.

Many doctors even don't know what it is .

I feel tired all the time and is still in waiting list for another sleep test.

My soft palate often blockage when exhale. as for inhale, make snoring sound but still can breathe in. So have to open mouth to breathe out.
I try to use a chinstrap to seal mouth, but fail to exhale at all.

in Taiwan, it is easy to see a doctor, but CAPA is expensive tree or four times than USA.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 02:04 PM)whshy Wrote: I feel tired all the time and is still in waiting list for another sleep test.

My soft palate often blockage when exhale. as for inhale, make snoring sound but still can breathe in. So have to open mouth to breathe out.
I try to use a chinstrap to seal mouth, but fail to exhale at all.

in Taiwan, it is easy to see a doctor, but CAPA is expensive tree or four times than USA.

Hi whshy,

Welcome to Apnea Board!

I don't know much about the condition which mikemky and DocWils and Sleepster and you report, but it sounds like perhaps surgery could help.

After surgery you may still need CPAP, but you may be able to sleep in all sleep positions while using CPAP.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Mike! Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the exact same problem only it is with just one nostril. I have an ENT referral. I just picked up my CPAP machine for the first time and expressed the same concerns since I have the nasal mask w/ chinstrap. My GP suggested there may be a foreign object in my nose!?! WTH! If there is...its been there since I was 2...HA! I suspect that the problem may have to do with the vagus nerve which may or may not be connected to my ruptured cervical discs at C3-4 and C6-7? I am very curious what happened with you!?!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same issues. I actually had a septoplasty that I hoped would correct it. I told my ENT about it and he just looked puzzled. The surgery didn't help. It feels like it happens closer to my throat but only affects my nose. I can inhale but not exhale. Drives me batty. I use the little Respironics Amara mask as it covers my mouth and nose but nothing else. I tried the nasal pillows and a chin strap, but it didn't help. No doc I've asked about my problem can tell me anything about it. Makes me nutty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I also have similar experiences of this. If I could resolve it, I am pretty sure my AHI would be below 1 every night. I have an appointment in a weeks time at the sleep clinic and will mention it then.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can shut off my exhale when awake if in the right position--on my back, head raised on a high pillow and chin down. Lifting chin stopped it. Had problems with it in physical therapy when on the exercise table if the PT put down 2 pillows. No problem at all exhaling with the CPAP, even when in that position. I don't sleep on my back now as I get too much mouth leakage even with a cervical collar or chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this problem too. I've found that the EPR option is not my friend. I need the back-pressure to maintain an open airway. Sleeping positions play a big role as well. The further I keep my chin away from my chest (within reason), as well as, sleeping on my side will go a long way in minimizing this problem. Finally my initial pressure setting had to be set high enough to address this problem.

Good luck in your quest.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that problem in a ffm, constantly.
The only fix is to bring up pressure until there is enough back pressure on exhale to hold the airway open.
Personally I think it is the reason most folj need more pressure with a ffm.

Doesnt happen to me with nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 543 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,135 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 641 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 586 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 402 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,818 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 888 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.