Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blockage of right side of nose in middle of night - turbinates? Any ideas to prevent?
RE: Blockage of right side of nose in middle of night - turbinates? Any ideas to prevent?
I had the same issue, and went for a mild procedure, where the turbinates are essentially burned out through RF. The net result is far less swelling/ blockage.

I was unable to use my APAP machine - until I had the procedure performed 5 weeks ago.

Much better now and have finally started using the machine, after having owned it for over a year. I'm looking forward to the results!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blockage of right side of nose in middle of night - turbinates? Any ideas to prevent?
(02-11-2016, 10:53 PM)stevewerth Wrote: I had the same issue, and went for a mild procedure, where the turbinates are essentially burned out through RF. The net result is far less swelling/ blockage.

I was unable to use my APAP machine - until I had the procedure performed 5 weeks ago.

Much better now and have finally started using the machine, after having owned it for over a year. I'm looking forward to the results!

It seems that there are quite a number of people (including me) with nasal issues that interfere with successful use of xPAP machines. I for one don't breathe through my mouth when sleeping so a FF mask wouldn’t help. Keeping nasal passages moist may (according to my ENT) reduce irritation and swelling. Finding the right mask or pillows is also key. My ENT also said to use steroid sprays only sparingly because they contribute to dryness. We need to keep posting on this topic.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 08:23 AM)richb Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 10:53 PM)stevewerth Wrote: I had the same issue, and went for a mild procedure, where the turbinates are essentially burned out through RF. The net result is far less swelling/ blockage.

It seems that there are quite a number of people (including me) with nasal issues that interfere with successful use of xPAP machines. I for one don't breathe through my mouth when sleeping so a FF mask wouldn’t help. Keeping nasal passages moist may (according to my ENT) reduce irritation and swelling. Finding the right mask or pillows is also key. My ENT also said to use steroid sprays only sparingly because they contribute to dryness. We need to keep posting on this topic.

RichB

Your ENT's comments about the steroid sprays is interesting. I tried Nasonex and Nasacort which resulted in very dry sinuses for 3 days and much worse breathing. I know it can take up to a few weeks for nasal steroids to work but I didn't think feeling worse was part of the deal.

Unfortunately, in spite of having of having a septoplasty/turbinate reduction last year, nasal rinsing doesn't seem to work either. Recently, saw an ENT for other reasons who said the septum was fine but the turbinates were moderately swollen. Will probably see an allergist as the next step but not sure.

By the way, I tried using the Simplus but it actually seemed to make things worse.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Charlie Sue. I think I mistakenly used the term "nasal pillow" in my earlier post when I actually have a nasal mask. What I meant was the nasal mask itself which is included in two or three different sizes in the mask packaging. I started off with the L but had to switch to the S/M because the L didn't fit my face correctly. The S/M doesn't have much space inside it nmaybe that means that my nose is too big for my face?

(02-11-2016, 08:31 PM)Charlie Sue Wrote: Green Wings, I decided to change my nasal pillow size because I was a little desperate and many people on the board talked about changing sizes to avoid nasal irritation. I thought that maybe the smaller size just went too far up my nose. I had quite a bit of surgery on my sinuses in April, including turbinate reduction and really did not want to go back to the constant inflammation. I messed with my humidification some, but got poor results. For me the change in pillow size was a relatively inexpensive and successful experiment. I was glad I didn't have to go to an entirely new mask.

I just use nasacort when needed for inflammation. I also regularly use a saline rinse--but that did not improve my turbinate problem.

I too have gotten no guidance from the doc or DME with any of this and so am grateful to this board for having a place to go for information.

Charlie Sue

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the steroid nasal sprays can theoretically cause dryness by interfering with the "nasal cycle"? I may have read that in the Wikipedia article on the "nasal cycle".

My CPAP usage last night was not so great. I took the mask off after only 2.5 hours. I vaguely remember that I was having some kind of comfort issue, but I can't remember what it was. No sleeping pills involved, either. Just "sleep amnesia."

(02-12-2016, 08:23 AM)richb Wrote:

RichB

Post Reply Post Reply
I think using any type of nasal spray long term is really bad for you...not sure what the alternates could be aside from turbinate reduction surgery though...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 10:47 PM)stevewerth Wrote: I think using any type of nasal spray long term is really bad for you...not sure what the alternates could be aside from turbinate reduction surgery though...

Sleeping through the night and being able to use an xPAP machine may be more important than what kind of nasal spray one uses. I have already had turbinate reduction surgery. I still have breathing issues at night. I am hoping to see more success stories please keep posting.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on bipap therapy since 1/13/2016. Each night my nose goes full blockage after 4 to 6 hours. Doctor has me using wilsons solution and flonase. It's not working. Going to have to take it to the next level soon.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Mr Nifty' pid='150442' dateline='1455546879']
I've been on bipap therapy since 1/13/2016. Each night my nose goes full blockage after 4 to 6 hours. Doctor has me using wilsons solution and flonase. It's not working. Going to have to take it to the next level soon.
[/qu

The steroid sprays treat allergy symptoms pretty well but do little to reduce turbinates that swell when one lies down. For some people only the lower turbinates swell when lying on ones side. For others both sides can swell after a couple of hours lying down. Having the lower turbinates reduced has helped some people. The question is what do you do if the surgery hasn't worked. More surgery reducing the middle and upper turbinates is usually not recommended. Another type of nasal spray brand named Atrovent might be appropriate for some. Atrovent is derived from Atropine. Atrovent acts in a similar manner to Afrin but is reported not to induce rebound. Pseudoephedrine OTC has a profile similar to Atrovent. Pseudoephedrin also has serious side effects such as being unable to urinate. I also read a study (can't find it now) that suggested using both Afrin and a steroid spray simultaneously. Others have suggested using Afrin or an afrin steroid combination only on one nostril. Another suggestion that I have heard is to use the Afrin only at night in one nostril. Since the other nostril is unmedicated there should be no rebound on the untreated side allowing for adequate breathing during the day. I don't know if any of these ideas will work for a long period of time. I would still like to see more suggestions and any ideas from people who have had some success in treating nightime stuffiness. Being able to use an xPAP machine is an important issue. The health consequences of not being able to use xPAP may be a more serious issue than nasal spray rebound. Any thoughts?

RichB

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 08:08 PM)richb Wrote: Being able to use an xPAP machine is an important issue. The health consequences of not being able to use xPAP may be a more serious issue than nasal spray rebound. Any thoughts?

I agree completely. I use a steroidal spray and some oxymetazoline ("Afrin", "Nafrin" & other brand names) spray every night and I've been using the oxymetazoline since the 1970's. Having my nose clear makes all the difference even though I wear a full face mask. I haven't died or grown any new appendages since I've been using them.

Maybe they'll kill me early, I don't know. But at least I'll be able to breath through my nose until then. I eat bacon, butter my bread with real butter, and pour whipping cream in my coffee. Bacon and eggs may kill me but at least I'll die having eaten bacon and eggs.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 417 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.