Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blocked Hose / Dreamwear FFM woes
Blocked Hose / Dreamwear FFM woes
As background started with Philips Nuance Pillows for several months. Switched to the Resmed Aifit P10 due to the "loud" Phillips mask. Much better and so have been on that for approximately two years. However was concerned about the red marks on the face from the tight headband. Resmed technicians suggested that I try the Resmed Airfit N20 Nasal. I have been alternating with the P10 - mainly due to excema that has appeared on the eyebrow and side of nose - not sure if it is latex.

So whilst on a camping weekend on 17th August with the P10, got the "cannot breathe whilst sleepin" syndrome and ripped off the mask two nights running. Thought that maybe the diffuser was blocked. It does look a bit grubby after three years. As I was leaving Monday on a trip, wenyt into the new CPAP local store. The dolly bird told me to try the new $300 Dreamwear FFM - so I have. So the machine has gone haywire - from maybe twenty events per night (PB, CA, OA, H, FL, VS, VS2,RE) to over 100 on a comparable 6 hours. In fact only one night have I achieve more than 6 hours with the Dreamware FFM. Most nights it is ripped off after three hours. 

So last night I really tried hard to get the Dreamware to fit. I wore it whilst awake "to get used to it". 2.5 hours it lasted before the "leak" and noise woke me up and ripped off the mask. Put on the P10 later and after 1.5 hours couldnot breathe. Tried wiggling the nose piece - no air. Inspected the Hose and found that one end was completely blocked as the hose has been rotated. I guess the hoses don't last forever.

So in summary, I wonder if the hose blockage has been causing problems all along? As I am in India I don't suppose I will get a suitable hose replacement until I return back to the sunny coast.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blocked Hose / Dreamwear FFM woes
(09-02-2018, 01:32 AM)wishicansleep Wrote: So in summary, I wonder if the hose blockage has been causing problems all along? As I am in India I don't suppose I will get a suitable hose replacement until I return back to the sunny coast.

It appears likely that you will reflexively remove the mask if you do not appear to be receiving air. Therefore, all of your numbers will be wonky. Might I suggest that you set up a regular maintenance, cleaning, and replacement schedule. As for the costs, many replacement parts are cheaper on this side of the pond and can be shipped abroad at an acceptable cost.  CPAP hoses are standard and you probable can get one fairly easily, even in India. Call any one of the cpap manufacturers or emergency rooms for the location of a local vendor.  Your wellbeing is worth more than a few dollars.

Best of luck mate.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for responding. Yes I think I will change hose and filter once per year (like the smoke alarm battery). I got a hose for US21 next door to the hotel (appears to be in the middle of all the hospital areas) - so I am all set to go. The P10 last night was back to its normal self. Tonight will try the Dreamwear FFM. If its not sweet dreams maybe I should report them to the Consumer Council for false advertising.......
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2018, 04:51 AM)wishicansleep Wrote: Thanks for responding. Yes I think I will change hose and filter once per year (like the smoke alarm battery). I got a hose for US21 next door to the hotel (appears to be in the middle of all the hospital areas) - so I am all set to go. The P10 last night was back to its normal self. Tonight will try the Dreamwear FFM. If its not sweet dreams maybe I should report them to the Consumer Council for false advertising.......

The environment should determine how often you should change your filter. You should also change it before a trip and after a trip. You should also think about changing the hose every six months and the mask cushions as soon as they lose their pliability and begin to leak.  Hope you get a great night's sleep for a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,656 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 104 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
Question Hose volume Willw 4 286 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 356 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 866 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 262 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 634 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.