Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blocked nose using CPAP.
Blocked nose using CPAP.
Well I have been going well for the last few months with CPAP, staying compliant with it all without too much trouble.

But now that the weather is changing I'm starting to have problems with my nose blocking up during the night.

Previously I had the clinic up the humidity a bit when it occurred, and over summer it seemed ok, but not doing the job now. 

So I have found my way in to the clinician settings and set my humidity to 0. to see if that helps.

The hose is still set to adaptive heat mode, and I'm not sure if that overrides the main humidity setting and will turn the heat plate on under the water tank or not... guess I will find out tonight.  Unsure

I will trial it with the humidity off for a few days (and switch the hose to Fixed if it turns the tank heater back on, that should stop it overriding the heater setting I think).
If that doesn't overcome my blocked nose then I will look at going the opposite direction and take it above the 4. it has been set on for the last few months, initially the clinician had started me off with it set at 3. when I first started on CPAP. 

Fine tuning my treatment so far hasn't been an overly big task, so this issue will hopefully have an easy fix as well.

The only other real issue I've had was getting the mask adjusted correctly, and then finding it was actually a size to large for me, the smaller size mask finally overcame the pain and deep red mark between my eyes each morning.. no matter what I tried with the Medium size it still caused the pain and the mark.

One thing I'm finding is that I often get a sub 1.0 AHI if I only use the the machine for about 4.5 hours, 7>8+ hours has me at 1.2 to 1.4, and sometimes higher.. less hours seems to get 0.6 to 0.7 or lower. 
It doesn't seem to matter what time of the night I start or finish using the machine.

Is there an explanation for that?
Or is it just something idiosyncratic to me personally?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blocked nose using CPAP.
Just checking:

When was the last time you inspected and/or replaced any air intake filters?

Have you any allergies? They can develop as we age.

Are there any signs of viral or bacterial infection - fever, sinus pain, green/yellow/bloody discharge?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Filters, hose and mask cleaned last weekend.

No allergies that relate to respiratory system in any way.

No discoloured mucus or other strange things issuing from the nose or throat. 

My nose just periodically blocks up for no specific reason that is apparent, up until CPAP I've never thought to track if it is related to humidity in any way.

The lining in my nasal passages is very thin and sensitive, I used to be prone to easy nose bleeds, but haven't had a problem with that for more than 15 years now. 

I guess I will find out in due course if the humidity setting makes a difference or not.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ockrocket!

May I ask which size of Eson mask are you using?

I initially tried size M (medium) and thougth it was alright. After having tested Resmed Mirage FX (standard size) which - among others - was giving me a hard time in blocking my nose, I tried again F&K Eson, only this time size M was giving me the impression that this size was not giving me all the space I needed for my nose to breath easily, so I tried size L (large). That was it!... Extreme comfort, no "blocking" feeling and of course no leaks at all.

Since Eson comes with 2 different sizes of cups in case you buy either size M or L (one L and one M), if you're using either one of these sizes, why don't you give it a try, using the L one?... My CPAP provider, exchanged the M size cup that came in the package of my Eson mask with another L size, so now I have two L size masks.

Perhaps a larger size of cup might give you the chance of unblocking your nose. Bigwink

Costas
Post Reply Post Reply
The Eson comes in Small, Medium, and Large.

I started with the Medium, but it caused a lot of pain and a deep red mark across the top of my nose between my eyes.

I downsized to the Small after posting a photo of me wearing the Medium and receiving comments that it was to large for me. 

In the past I have also had a blocked nose at times with the Medium as well.

I have got most of the other settings and stuff sorted to be able to use my CPAP consistently and comfortably, so I thought now is a chance to address my blocked nose problem... it is only an intermittent thing at this stage, but I'd like to work out how to manage it if and when it occurs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airfit P10...no congestion can resist it...

Resistance is futile! Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2017, 11:07 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: One thing I'm finding is that I often get a sub 1.0 AHI if I only use the the machine for about 4.5 hours, 7>8+ hours has me at 1.2 to 1.4, and sometimes higher.. less hours seems to get 0.6 to 0.7 or lower. 
It doesn't seem to matter what time of the night I start or finish using the machine.

My sleep doc told me that we go deeper into REM sleep (or maybe it was we stay longer in REM sleep?) as the night progresses.  So if your AHI is worse during REM sleep, that could explain why your AHI increases the longer you use the machine.

It came up for me because I told her I was still tired after using the machine for 5 ish hours per night.  I told her I used the machine for about 5 hours and then took the mask off and slept for a couple more hours.  She told me I'd get the most benefit from using it for the last couple of hours--and gave me the description above as to why.  Then she looked at me and said, "no you can't just put the mask on for the last few hours."   Big Grin   I guess she knew what I was thinking. But my REM AHI was significantly higher (60 vs 20, I think) than my non-REM AHI and of course everyone is different.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Eson 2 and have had a blocked nose as well.  (Two different reasons.) 

I first had problems when the headgear was too tight and it squished (for lack of a better term) the cushion onto the side of my nose.  It was only slightly restricting the air flow, so I didn't realize the over-tightening was the culprit until I loosened it a bit.  But I think the restriction was enough to clog that nostril as I woke up several mornings with it clogged prior to loosening the headgear.

Recently I've had an issue with the lip? of the cushion riding up and covering the bottom of my nostrils a bit and blocking air-flow.  It seems to happen when the cushion gets older and the material gets more pliable.  I don't like the cushion covering most of my upper lip, so that's partially my fault as well as I wear it higher than I probably should.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed Airfit P10...no congestion can resist it...

Resistance is futile! Smile

So I have heard... but I'm going to resist anyway (until it comes time to buy a new mask, then I might switch  Bigwink  Big Grin )

(04-25-2017, 05:23 PM)chigirl Wrote:
(04-24-2017, 11:07 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: One thing I'm finding is that I often get a sub 1.0 AHI if I only use the the machine for about 4.5 hours, 7>8+ hours has me at 1.2 to 1.4, and sometimes higher.. less hours seems to get 0.6 to 0.7 or lower. 

My sleep doc told me that we go deeper into REM sleep (or maybe it was we stay longer in REM sleep?) as the night progresses.  So if your AHI is worse during REM sleep, that could explain why your AHI increases the longer you use the machine.

It came up for me because I told her I was still tired after using the machine for 5 ish hours per night.  I told her I used the machine for about 5 hours and then took the mask off and slept for a couple more hours.  She told me I'd get the most benefit from using it for the last couple of hours--and gave me the description above as to why.  Then she looked at me and said, "no you can't just put the mask on for the last few hours."   Big Grin   I guess she knew what I was thinking. But my REM AHI was significantly higher (60 vs 20, I think) than my non-REM AHI and of course everyone is different.

Seems like you and I think alike, before I'd even finished reading your full post the thought crossed my mind to only use it for the last half of the night. Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL, as she was explaining it to me, I was thinking....Hey I can set an alarm clock for the middle of the night and just put my mask on then.  It's like she read my mind. Laugh-a-lot 

It's funny you had the same idea.  She was probably quick to add onto her response because I'm sure we're not the only ones who thought of that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.