Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blocked nose using CPAP.
RE: Blocked nose using CPAP.
(04-24-2017, 11:07 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: The hose is still set to adaptive heat mode, and I'm not sure if that overrides the main humidity setting and will turn the heat plate on under the water tank or not... guess I will find out tonight.  Unsure

I have had the same question for a while. I'd be interested to know what you find. 
I have consistently used Nasonex (OTC) for my blocked nose - which has been blocked on and off for a good part of the year now. 
In my initial days of therapy when my sinsuses would hurt upon waking up, the GP wrote me up a script for DYMISTA. Works very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2017, 01:12 AM)BHappy Wrote:
(04-24-2017, 11:07 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: The hose is still set to adaptive heat mode, and I'm not sure if that overrides the main humidity setting and will turn the heat plate on under the water tank or not... guess I will find out tonight.  Unsure

I have had the same question for a while. I'd be interested to know what you find. 
I have consistently used Nasonex (OTC) for my blocked nose - which has been blocked on and off for a good part of the year now. 
In my initial days of therapy when my sinsuses would hurt upon waking up, the GP wrote me up a script for DYMISTA. Works very well.

Well one night is not enough to give an answer to the blocked nose aspect, but here is what I experienced last night.

The heated hose did not seem to override the humidifier by turning it back on to heat the water, but the hose did not get warm either (some nights it does, other nights it doesn't.. I think it must go on the humidity of the ambient air going in to the machine perhaps  Dont-know )

The water level in the tank didn't drop noticeably, when the humidifier is set to 4. it drops by about 40% most nights. 

I did 8 hours total for the night, had the usual brief switch off to go for a 'wee walk'... and an AHI of 1.7 for the night.

My nasal passages where fairly clear, and  slightly damp.. normally they are fairly dry and blocked.

I will trial the current 0. humidity setting for a week before I decide if it has worked with any sort of consistency. 

The other thing I have contemplated is bumping my fixed pressure from 7.0 to 8.0 ... but I won't do that until I have an idea what effect the humidity adjustment has made for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the weather starting to get dramatically cooler down here in Melbourne I too had been experiencing the blocked nose issue.

The solution has been to increase the humidity...

By turning off the humidity, the cool dry air will only further dry out your nasal passages and make the problem worse. You want to instead increase the humidity in order to keep your nasal passages lubricated.

Not sure if we're allowed to post links to external websites but there is an excellent youtube video that explains the problem well - How to solve nasal congestion when using CPAP.

I would highly recommend you try turning your humidity back up instead of down.

The problem I have now with the extra humidity is the chamber runs out of water at which point the dry air starts pumping again and I wake up  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 02:47 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Filters, hose and mask cleaned last weekend.

No allergies that relate to respiratory system in any way.

No discoloured mucus or other strange things issuing from the nose or throat. 

My nose just periodically blocks up for no specific reason that is apparent, up until CPAP I've never thought to track if it is related to humidity in any way.

The lining in my nasal passages is very thin and sensitive, I used to be prone to easy nose bleeds, but haven't had a problem with that for more than 15 years now. 

I guess I will find out in due course if the humidity setting makes a difference or not.  Big Grin

my nose does that too at random
but often in the evening before bed
right side almost swollen shut inside
lie down on left side and it usually clears in a short while

otoh i do also have allergy or other external irritants that can cause congestion
but usually not quite as bad as that 'normal' one that is temperorary

for me humidty makes the clogging worse
i had the sleep lab turn it off so i could breathe for the testing
Post Reply Post Reply
Its only slightly related to the topic, but does someone know the relation between humidity and how it effects turbinates ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 2 report.

Well I now know the heated hose still activates when it needs to so that "rainout" is minimised, I felt it warm up last night shortly after turning my CPAP on.

And again I have had a fairly comfortable night without the humidity on, only a very slight blocking of one nostril.

The cooler air temp in the mask feels better to me than when it is humid (humidity of any kind makes me uncomfortable and cranky)

The water level in the humidifier tank has not dropped to any noticeable extent, which is to be expected as the air is only passing over without picking up any condensed water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well another couple of nights done with 0 humidity, but the blocked nose issue is back, so this setting isn't a fix. 

So now I'm going the other way. 

My previous humidity setting was 4, so I've now bumped it to 5 (max setting available) to see what that does for the blocked nose. 

Humidity may not be the final answer, but I will see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed Airfit P10...no congestion can resist it...

Resistance is futile! Smile

Newbie to CPAP here... can you inform me so I make sure I understand...

Are you saying that P10's are prone to congestion for the user?  Do you mean that "no congestion can resist it" in that it is some sort of petri dish and the users need to be extra hygienic?
~or~
Are do you mean that the P10's are really good at being able to use even if one has congestion?  The "resistance " quip makes me think this might be what you mean.

I use P10's with heated hose and for the past week I have not be able to use it because of blocked sinuses.  It is the first time since starting CPAP about 8 months ago... I have been unable to use  for 4 days now.
Post Reply Post Reply
S.L. Ping Beauty,

Normally a P10, with direct pressure, will overcome any nasal congestion. The "resistance is futile" is referring to the futile effort of your congestion to persist while using a nasal pillow mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2017, 11:07 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: Well I have been going well for the last few months with CPAP, staying compliant with it all without too much trouble.

But now that the weather is changing I'm starting to have problems with my nose blocking up during the night.

Previously I had the clinic up the humidity a bit when it occurred, and over summer it seemed ok, but not doing the job now. 

So I have found my way in to the clinician settings and set my humidity to 0. to see if that helps.

The hose is still set to adaptive heat mode, and I'm not sure if that overrides the main humidity setting and will turn the heat plate on under the water tank or not... guess I will find out tonight.  Unsure

I will trial it with the humidity off for a few days (and switch the hose to Fixed if it turns the tank heater back on, that should stop it overriding the heater setting I think).
If that doesn't overcome my blocked nose then I will look at going the opposite direction and take it above the 4. it has been set on for the last few months, initially the clinician had started me off with it set at 3. when I first started on CPAP. 

Fine tuning my treatment so far hasn't been an overly big task, so this issue will hopefully have an easy fix as well.

The only other real issue I've had was getting the mask adjusted correctly, and then finding it was actually a size to large for me, the smaller size mask finally overcame the pain and deep red mark between my eyes each morning.. no matter what I tried with the Medium size it still caused the pain and the mark.

One thing I'm finding is that I often get a sub 1.0 AHI if I only use the the machine for about 4.5 hours, 7>8+ hours has me at 1.2 to 1.4, and sometimes higher.. less hours seems to get 0.6 to 0.7 or lower. 
It doesn't seem to matter what time of the night I start or finish using the machine.

Is there an explanation for that?
Or is it just something idiosyncratic to me personally?

The humidifier makes my congestion worse.   I don't want hot air so I leave it off as room temperature is best for me. 

It is possible that at times you are more prone to apneas and not recordign during that time makes your numbers look better even if you are actually having more and not recording them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,990 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 174 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 652 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 467 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.