Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blocked nose using CPAP.
RE: Blocked nose using CPAP.
No difference last night with humidity maxed out on 5, my nose still blocked up half way through the night, so I dropped it back to 4 and tried to go back to sleep with a blob of Vicks floating on a plastic cap in the humidifier tank.. still didn't clear the nose. 

So around 3.00 A.M. I gave up and removed the mask so I could try to get some sleep for the last couple of hours... within 5 minutes of removing the mask my nose had totally cleared and I fell asleep until the alarm went off at 5.00 A.M. --- so much for CPAP improving my quality of sleep and reducing my fatigue levels.  Sad

Any way, back to the old settings tonight to try to get at least my minimum 4 hours.. fortunately I can usually get 7 hours plus, but the weather change makes it hard over the winter period.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had hay-fever problems resulting in blocked sinuses.
The best solution for me was to use a nasal pillow mask.
I also found nasal spray, before fitting the mask helped.
The nasal pillow mask tends to open breathing passages and the problem goes away.
The previous mask applied pressure to my nose which partly closed the nasal passages and caused the blockage.
The problem has decreased, for me, since I lost a lot of weight, and so now I can use a full-face mask with no problems.
Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 07:51 AM)mccer Wrote: I had hay-fever problems resulting in blocked sinuses.
The best solution for me was to use a nasal pillow mask.
I also found nasal spray, before fitting the mask helped.
The nasal pillow mask tends to open breathing passages and the problem goes away.
The previous mask applied pressure to my nose which partly closed the nasal passages and caused the blockage.
The problem has decreased, for me, since I lost a lot of weight, and so now I can use a full-face mask with no problems.
Good luck!

I have tried the pillow mask when I was doing my trial period on CPAP to see if it would manage my apnoea or not. 

The lining inside my nostrils is extremely sensitive and thin, the pillow mask aggravated my nostrils so much that I couldn't even stand to use my Eson nose mask for three days after using the pillow. 

I'm thinking of trialing taking an antihistamine in the evenings before bed to see if that overcomes the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same issue with blocked nose. I use Flixonase spray in the morning and take Zyrtec (cetirizine) antihistamine tablet just before I go to bed which seems to help. My hayfever is pretty bad and we've had an epic season in NZ this year.

I alternate between using  a Pilairo Q mask (5 nights a week) and the Eson 2 mask the other two nights.  The pilairo nasal pillows definitely has a clearing/ blowing through effect but sometimes creates post nasal drip which starts a dry asthma cough. I love the Eson 2 mask but it makes the bridge of my nose break down badly if I use it more than two days in a row.  

I don't think I am helped by the conditions in our open plan office at work. Humidity gets down to around 12 - 14% at times during the day with little air circulation and constant ambient temp of 24C - we have complained about this, have been told we have to buy a humidifier from our own budget....The Neil med nasal gel helps me on the driest stuffiest days.  Do you have the same kind of issue with your work environment?

Anyway try the antihistamine as it does seem to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought - hydration.  I've found that I need to drink more water during the day since starting CPAP.  I noticed my nose blocks more on the days when I haven't been able to drink as much water - travel or long meetings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 06:39 AM)KiwiGal Wrote: I have the same issue with blocked nose. I use Flixonase spray in the morning and take Zyrtec (cetirizine) antihistamine tablet just before I go to bed which seems to help. My hayfever is pretty bad and we've had an epic season in NZ this year.

I alternate between using  a Pilairo Q mask (5 nights a week) and the Eson 2 mask the other two nights.  The pilairo nasal pillows definitely has a clearing/ blowing through effect but sometimes creates post nasal drip which starts a dry asthma cough. I love the Eson 2 mask but it makes the bridge of my nose break down badly if I use it more than two days in a row.  

I don't think I am helped by the conditions in our open plan office at work. Humidity gets down to around 12 - 14% at times during the day with little air circulation and constant ambient temp of 24C - we have complained about this, have been told we have to buy a humidifier from our own budget....The Neil med nasal gel helps me on the driest stuffiest days.  Do you have the same kind of issue with your work environment?

Anyway try the antihistamine as it does seem to help.

I had much the same problem with my Eson mask, after posting a photo here on the forum comments were made that the mask was to large for me, I stepped down from the Medium to the Small and have had no further issue with the deep groove and red mark that would be left on the top of my nose between my eyes... the smaller mask actually seems to seal even better than the medium one did.

My work environment is a car and I spend 10 to 12 hours a day driving around with the aircon running in it.

I tried Clarityne the other night, but haven't done a multiple nights test to see if they work or not (they haven't been all that good with the odd times I've had hay-fever symptoms in the past either though)

I may give Zyrtec a go in the near future and see if they help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice re the Eson mask - unfortunately I'm already using a small size mask cushion - I'm going to try a little piece of surgical tape on the spot that rubs and see if that works. I have  a tiny bump on the bridge from breaking my nose when I was a kid. The mask seal is really good so its pretty frustrating and I was looking forward to using it more in the winter 'cos it has such a nice snuggly feeling to it.  I bought an Airfit  F20 FFM for when things get really bad, it doesn't rub my nose but there's a persistent leak on one side that I haven't resolved yet. 

The antihistamine needs a good couple of days to start working effectively. Clarityne doesn't work for me at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
KiwiGal...

Another thing I was made aware of here is that the mask actually need to be worn as loosely as possible, so that the straps only just hold it against your skin... the mask slightly "inflates" with air pressure once the CPAP is running, this then seals the mask better than trying to force it to seal by having the straps tight.

Also have a look at the bottom of this page in the box that lists other Possibly Related threads to see if there is any relevant information for you, at least one of those threads has a suggestion of cutting a mask liner out of material to help protect the skin from irritation and damage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well last night, a few minutes before putting on my mask, I smeared the inside of my nostrils with good old Vicks Vaporub.  Unsure

It seems to have worked. Shock

I slept pretty well for most of the night, though it did take a little while for the Vicks to take effect at the start, and this morning I awoke with only slight blockage of my nose... not enough obstruction to stop me breathing with my mask on. 

So tonight I'm going to "shove more Vicks up my nose" about 15 minutes before I'm ready to don my mask and lie down for the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same issue. It seems when I lay on my left side or back I get nasal clogging. So it is the right side for me. Also what I have done is taken a cotton ball and put a few drops of peppermint essential oil on it, and placed it by the air intake. That seems to help keep me clear.

Before that I was taking some vicks vapor rub and putting it under my nose (I am full face mask), this was a little messy at time since I have a goatee, but that helped keep me opened up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.