Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blood donation.
Made donation last week AND wife went with me and made her first ever donation.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I resurrected this old thread in order to find out how many members share their blood with people in need.  

As of April 11, 2018, I've donated 52 units (slightly more than 6 gallons) of blood/plasma to the Indiana Blood Center.  I started giving a long time ago, under the misconception that since only 4% of the population has my blood type (AB+), I might need some credit built up to cover future needs.  I learned later on that as long as the RH factor was positive, I can get anyone's blood.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure. As of 1998, it was 30 units. I've probably added another 12 units since then. I had to stop for awhile due to health issues. I actually had an appointment earlier this week that I had to cancel because of my cold. Sad I am the opposite - I'm O neg and can only take O neg. Further, I've never had cytomegalovirus, so my blood is shunted to the children's hospital for newborns.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am Oneg and would love to give blood. Used to give a lot when I was in College. However, because I spent too much time in England and Europe in the 70s and 80s I cannot give blood due to Mad Cow fears. I can't even donate to bank my own blood in the event it find its way into the system. Maybe some time they will come up with a test for Mad Cow.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 01:03 AM)PollCat Wrote: I resurrected this old thread in order to find out how many members share their blood with people in need.  

As of April 11, 2018, I've donated 52 units (slightly more than 6 gallons) of blood/plasma to the Indiana Blood Center.  I started giving a long time ago, under the misconception that since only 4% of the population has my blood type (AB+), I might need some credit built up to cover future needs.  I learned later on that as long as the RH factor was positive, I can get anyone's blood.

In spite of the fact you are the "Typhoid Mary" of blood donors, we share the same blood type. I have donated as I can, and I am the beneficiary with borderline polycythemia.  I am also a universal blood receiver, so the blood vultures do n't want my platelets.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(04-14-2018, 06:44 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I am Oneg and would love to give blood. Used to give a lot when I was in College. However, because I spent too much time in England and Europe in the 70s and 80s I cannot give blood due to Mad Cow fears. I can't even donate to bank my own blood in the event it find its way into the system. Maybe some time they will come up with a test for Mad Cow.

Homer

That is interesting, never heard anything about that here.

There was a scandal some years back where we were importing blood plasma from the States much of which had been collected from prisoners, this was infected and killed many people.

When I first went to give blood they found I had spent time in west Africa, they said no way are we taking your blood.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2018, 09:30 AM)Phill Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 06:44 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I am Oneg and would love to give blood. Used to give a lot when I was in College. However, because I spent too much time in England and Europe in the 70s and 80s I cannot give blood due to Mad Cow fears. I can't even donate to bank my own blood in the event it find its way into the system. Maybe some time they will come up with a test for Mad Cow.

Homer

That is interesting, never heard anything about that here.

There was a scandal some years back where we were importing blood plasma from the States much of which had been collected from prisoners, this was infected and killed many people.

When I first went to give blood they found I had spent time in west Africa, they said no way are we taking your blood.

I think they feel that we don't have any resistance to it over here in the colonies, whereas you have been living with it for years. I've talked to friends who work for the Red Cross and a couple of other blood banks and they all agree it is a stupid restriction, unfortunately, error on the side of safety, still can't give blood.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blood sugar challenges GrammaBear 8 384 03-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  [Health] Heart health, high blood pressure, and ASV SarcasticDave94 6 245 02-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Blood Pressure Question Crimson Nape 13 2,420 03-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Last Post: worn_out_in_lebanon