Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blood oxygen level drop during an event
I am monitoring my blood oxygen levels overnight before starting to use my machine once again after being off it for a number of years.

I believe the SPO2 machine I have occasionally gives the odd very low reading (in the 80% range). Readings are recorded every 30 seconds and, usually, when I get a low reading it is flanked on either side by a normal one - i.e. 95% 85% 95% for example.

It seems to me that such a big desaturation could not happen and then recover during the space of only one minute - when I hold my breath it takes over a minute before my SPO2 starts to fall! Also, when this happens, I don't see any change in my heart rate, which I should expect.

Can somebody comment on the expected onset time and recovery time of an apnea or hypopnea initiated desat?

I am in excellent health and age 74 - no known problems other than apnea/hypopnea.

Thanks
Spotty

I will suggest to you that a person breathes much more shallow during sleep.
Comparisons to when one is awake are probably not valid.

In my personal experience, I have observed that inexpensive pulse-oximeters are not very accurate.
Which SpO2 meter do you have ?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(11-10-2015, 04:41 PM)justMongo Wrote: Which SpO2 meter do you have ?

BCI Fingerprint, made in USA! mid range model.

(11-10-2015, 04:45 PM)spottymaldoon Wrote:
(11-10-2015, 04:41 PM)justMongo Wrote: Which SpO2 meter do you have ?

BCI Fingerprint, made in USA! mid range model.

Actually a bit more expensive than some home recording meters.
If I'm looking at the right model, it appears it's now discontinued.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Hi spottymaldoon,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you and hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drop Down Box Problem nadprok 4 110 01-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  Oxygen users E.W. 2 96 01-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Oxygen Monitor player 5 340 12-22-2016, 03:33 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  new to cpap and oxygen worried 8 328 12-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 359 11-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  Pulse Oxygen Sensor muddywaters 6 456 11-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 715 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster