Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Raise or Lower Pressure for Flow Limitations?
RE: Raise or Lower Pressure for Flow Limitations?
Quick Update

2019 Recap: 

was on CPAP (9.0 fixed)

switched to APAP in June (various settings), but still not feeling refreshed
      ran with EPR at 3.0 to "attack" flow limitations but still not feeling refreshed

purchased Bi-Level machine to achieve more pressure support for flow limitations
      after one month and adjusting settings, feeling much better/refreshed
      getting to the point I just need to let the settings be and get some refreshing sleep that I have been lacking for awhile

current settings on ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto:
     P.S. 6.0 over 5.2-25.o cmH20

I did notice one issue that developed. seemed like I 'paused' breathing for couple seconds between inhale/exhale. kind of like I held my breath before exhale. noticed when laying in bed and falling into sleep, which aroused me enough to not fall asleep. so in the middle of last night, I changed the cycle setting from medium to very high to see what that would feel like. And of course, I fell asleep before I could analyze it. So did that change help me or did I just finally fall asleep on my own? Have limited understanding what cycle/trigger do but I think this may have helped?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically, trigger is the sensitivity to the beginning of inhalation, and cycle is the sensitivity to the end of inhalation.

When the beginning of inhalation is sensed, the pressure will start to slowly rise toward EPAP+PS. When the end of inhalation (NOT the beginning of exhalation) is sensed, the pressure will quickly drop back to EPAP.

For me, there is some interaction between PS and Cycle. Lowering PS may require lowering Cycle sensitivity so IPAP is maintained a bit longer and vice-versa. If PS is high (for you) and Cycle is low (for you) it can feel like IPAP is maintained a bit after your lungs are full and you are ready to exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
sure sounds like this could (or was) happening. guess tonight i'll see what happens
Post Reply Post Reply
I have generally suggested increasing trigger to high and decreasing cycle to low for flow limitation. The idea is to be more sensitive to starting pressure support and less sensitive to decreasing it. Not everyone needs that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2020, 05:38 PM)CPAPUserDave Wrote: Quick Update

2019 Recap: 

was on CPAP (9.0 fixed)

switched to APAP in June (various settings), but still not feeling refreshed
      ran with EPR at 3.0 to "attack" flow limitations but still not feeling refreshed

purchased Bi-Level machine to achieve more pressure support for flow limitations
      after one month and adjusting settings, feeling much better/refreshed
      getting to the point I just need to let the settings be and get some refreshing sleep that I have been lacking for awhile

current settings on ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto:
     P.S. 6.0 over 5.2-25.o cmH20

I did notice one issue that developed. seemed like I 'paused' breathing for couple seconds between inhale/exhale. kind of like I held my breath before exhale. noticed when laying in bed and falling into sleep, which aroused me enough to not fall asleep. so in the middle of last night, I changed the cycle setting from medium to very high to see what that would feel like. And of course, I fell asleep before I could analyze it. So did that change help me or did I just finally fall asleep on my own? Have limited understanding what cycle/trigger do but I think this may have helped?

Dave

Your story sounds exactly like mine; sinus pressure, headaches, brain fog, fatique. Cpap didnt really work out because I cant get my flow limits down. I get my Aircurve in tomorrow so Im hoping this helps out!
Post Reply Post Reply
For 4 nights straight my flow limits have significantly reduced by lowering pressure to fixed 7 epr3, down from min 9-20 epr3.
Still very low As and Hs, less CAs, lower flow limits. Happy days!
Can’t explain it, but it seems consistent and not what I’d expect based on the general knowledge on this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 4 51 11 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 238 32 minutes ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.