Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bloody nose has ended use of machine for a while
Bloody nose has ended use of machine for a while
I've been using my BiPap machine since June 2012. I'm probably weird but I've got to the point where I don't feel like I'm getting enough air when I don't have it on.
Last Monday night I ended up in the ER with a bloody nose that wouldn't stop. They put some kind of packing in my nose to stop the bleeding.
I haven't been able to use my machine for the last couple nights and have two more days to go before they'll take the packing out.
Been the roughest part for me - not being able to use the machine and not being able to breathe through my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bloody nose has ended use of machine for a while
Hi johns019,
When you were able to use your machine, where did you have your humidity set?
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try full face mask till your nose heal
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2013, 07:05 PM)zonk Wrote: Try full face mask till your nose heal

Yep, I have a full face mask that I keep stored away for such times. When I have a cold or really stuffed up nose. Haven't used it more than a 3-4 nights during the past few years, but it sure came in handy when I needed it.

Sorry about your nose, John. Bloody noses can be a real pain. Sad
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I keep the humidity at 4, but had actually gone to 5 the night before I had the bloody nose. I have a cold, so I'd been blowing my nose a lot and coughing.
Also took Nyquil the night before and Mucinex the day of the problem.
Don't know if they could have been part of the reason the bleeding wouldn't stop.
The ER gave me a full face mask to try, but it was too much pressure on my nose with all the packing and a tube coming out of it. But I will try to get used to a full mask when I get the packing out, so I might do better in the future.
Last June, I'd never have thought I'd miss the machine Wink
Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi John, I hope if you get a full-face mask that it will help you.
Some cold meds have aspirin in them and maybe that thinned your blood a bit, but I'm not sure about Nyquil or mucinex.
Anyway, I Hope you can get back to using your machine soon. I know that once you do get used to having one, it's very difficult to do without it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you had a sinus go ka-powie. It happens sometimes with scuba divers.
Once it clears up you should be ok for a long time afterwards.

Unless someone knows of this re-occurring?

Cheers and good luck!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2013, 08:51 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Anyway, I Hope you can get back to using your machine soon. I know that once you do get used to having one, it's very difficult to do without it.

I'm glad to find out that I'm not alone in becoming "dependent" on my machine.
I was wondering if that was a bad thing.
Due to the cold and the packing in one nostril, I can only breathe through my mouth when lying down. So its put me back like the old days - extreme dry mouth and throat and waking up gasping for air.

Hopefully I just have one more night of it - scheduled to have the packing removed tomorrow Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't your PRS humidifier working? =o.O=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2013, 12:14 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Isn't your PRS humidifier working? =o.O=

It works fine, but I can't put the nasal pillow mask on due to the nasal packing that the ER Dr. Put in my right nostril.
Picture a tampon hanging out one side of your nose Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 160 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,301 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 114 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 295 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,283 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 715 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.