Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Blown Up"
"Blown Up"
Not sure I understand this but last night after an eight hour sleep I spent most of the night in a permanent leak. I spent most of the night above the 0.41L/s which is where my red line is set. I was up around 0.68L/s most of the night. Now heres the problem or lack of one, my AHI never got above 2.2 Thinking-about

Any Ideas why my AHI wasnt threw the roof?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Blown Up"
Not exactly sure what you are saying/asking.

BUT, if your AHI didn't go up, then you were still getting the pressure you needed, despite the leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 05:17 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Not exactly sure what you are saying/asking.

BUT, if your AHI didn't go up, then you were still getting the pressure you needed, despite the leak.

If thats correct then Ive waisted many weeks creeping my pressure up?

Post Reply Post Reply
The main thing to CPAP treatment is to keep the AHI below 5. That is the goal.

The only time I would increase my pressure would be if my AHI was above 5 or perhaps above 4. But that's me. Your AHI of 2.2 is freakin' great.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 05:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The main thing to CPAP treatment is to keep the AHI below 5. That is the goal.

The only time I would increase my pressure would be if my AHI was above 5 or perhaps above 4. But that's me. Your AHI of 2.2 is freakin' great.

This is not a complaint but Ive slowly increased my pressure to lower my levels, my question if it is a question is why wasnt my AHI higher? I must have been getting a lot lower pressure through the night so if all things are equal my AHI "SHOULD" have been quite high. Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
Probably spent most of the night trying fixing leaks
Get plumber to fix the leaks, replace the mask cushion and mask liner might help.
I would think if the leak was 0.68L/s (40 L/min) for most of the night than the AHI can not be trusted to be accurate.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was out cold all night and I have never had problems with leaks, it just seemed so strange even checked it on resscan to see if the ahi gave any indications of being wrong and it looks spot on, maybe I just had a good nights sleep, just thought it was very strange
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 05:59 PM)Gazby Wrote: I was out cold all night and I have never had problems with leaks, it just seemed so strange even checked it on resscan to see if the ahi gave any indications of being wrong and it looks spot on, maybe I just had a good nights sleep, just thought it was very strange

i tell ya what, i've had alot of leaky mask issues and don't have the ahi acceptable yet. i'm getting it worked out. the point is i'm seeing no real correlation between high leaks and ahi episodes. the machines are built to work around a certain amount of leak as if it wasn't there. at 4am last nite my pressure went to the top at 12, the leak jumped way up at the same time and i woke up out of breath having laryngospasms. it took me a half hour or more to settle down and couldn't put the mask back on from fear of it starting again. i'm sure the laryngospasms, which i have a history of, were more related to the sudden 12, that stayed up several minutes before i woke up, which i seldom reach and the dry mouth/throat. to add to this i have a paralyzed vocal chord that was moved permanently to midline with an implant so i'm kinda struggling to begin with. during this time and right before, neither sleepyhead nor encore viewer reported any events. so my theory is if there were events the pressure took care of it even though it was leaking. the leak could have started the pressure or the pressure could have started the leak.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see how it's possible for the machine to measure AHI events when there's a significant leak. My understanding is that CPAP machines use a flow meter to measure the flow rate, and count events based on significant changes in that flow rate. When the airway collapses, for example, the flow rate drops. If there's a significant leak, the flow rate won't change significantly and the machine can't measure AHI in any meaningful way?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You would think that a big leak would trigger an event and also a large leak would register. I wonder if an event a leak and a big raise in pressure would all cancel each other out and would only look like a flat line. I have been told that I was moving around alot last night yet I hardly had any REM sleep, think I will have to get the brain matter working to sort this one out!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blown fuse…I think Nitrokid 6 1,175 10-22-2022, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Resmed S8 Elite Ii blown fuse (value please) tango 0 990 11-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: tango
  Holy Air tried a ResMed N20 from a Airtouch P20 and was blown away literally RLMMG 12 3,312 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM
Last Post: RLMMG
  Help! Mask being blown off my face! DoubtFire61 2 1,163 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [Pressure] Blown Away GoodNightSleep 10 4,569 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Last Post: GoodNightSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.