Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blown fuse…I think
Blown fuse…I think
So we get a message from our electricity provider that the power will be out overnight end of the month. My ResMed S8 does not have a battery backup. I was told that you could hook it up to a 12v adapter. However when I did that, I heard a little click in the unit and would not turn on. So I plugged it back in to the wall out and to my horror, it will not turn on. Someone on this board mentioned that it was a fuse called a “5R” needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this before. I opened the machine and have located the fuse ( little grey rectangle next to the F1A stamped on the circuit board).    I hate to get rid of a perfectly good machine. Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blown fuse…I think
Hi,

I can not help you with the fuse but as an alternative solution for power, here I use a standard 1500 VA UPS from APC. With only the AirSense plugged in, it will last for more than 2 hours in case of a power failure, planned or not. It also protects the device against power surge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many battery power packs cannot handle the startup amperage of the CPAP and will shut-down. You need to have 12-Volts, 3-amps output to startup the machine. Once it's operating the electrical draw drops to less than 1-amp. Be sure the humidifier and heated tube are OFF, and it might help to start with a ramp setting. I don't think your power bank uses a fuse, but has a breaker for excess power draw. It should automatically reset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the OP is saying the Resmed S8 has a blown fuse, not their battery pack. There are previous posts here on that topic mentioning the same fuse, perhaps messaging one of the people who had that problem will help, or contacting resend directly. 

And I second heracles’ suggestion - the standard APC/TrippLitE/Cyberpower battery backup/UPS device that any computer or home entertainment system should have should also be used for any medical devices. The modeks that provide pure sine waves are better for long term use, which is why the manufacturer ones suggest those for travel/camping/etc, but the much less expensive models are fine to handle power outages - my wife and I each have one for resmeds (as well as one powering our air purifier and fan so power outages don’t ruin our sleep by losing airflow and noise).
Post Reply Post Reply
Narual, I think you're right. It would have helped to know what the 12 Volt adapter was. The Resmed operates on 24 VDC and there are adapters. FWIW, the S8 is a very old model and should be replaced anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried to plug it in and wait for a hopeful reset but that didn’t happen. I don’t get how plugging it into a 12v deep cycle battery with an inline fuse inside the cable end adapter could have done any damage because this glass fuse also blew when I hit the start button on the unit. So wouldn’t it have protected the unit from damage? Don’t get it.

So what do I do to get this done? Is it something I can do as I already have the unit opened.
Post Reply Post Reply
The fuse itself could have been faulty. You could try shorting it with another fuse.

The S8 is not a "perfectly good" machine. It is way past its designed lifetime of 5 years. There are newer models available. The S9 is now outdated, too. Plus, your S8 Escape provides no detailed data so you can't fine tune your therapy using computer software.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed S8 Elite Ii blown fuse (value please) tango 0 992 11-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: tango
  Holy Air tried a ResMed N20 from a Airtouch P20 and was blown away literally RLMMG 12 3,315 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM
Last Post: RLMMG
  Help! Mask being blown off my face! DoubtFire61 2 1,164 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [Pressure] Blown Away GoodNightSleep 10 4,570 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Last Post: GoodNightSleep
  "Blown Up" Dreamcatcher 26 14,124 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Jenny

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.