Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Potential palatal prolapse?
Potential palatal prolapse?
I just read about palatal prolapse (thank you to SleepyCPAP for creating your thread) and I think I might have this issue too, but I want a second opinion to make sure I'm not just latching onto an explanation because I'd like to finally figure out what's causing me to wake up suddenly.

My main issue is that I often wake up suddenly about 15-20 minutes after falling asleep, often repeatedly. I'll have nights where I take 4-5 naps back to back instead of normal sleep, which results in feeling like I haven't rested at all. I don't feel short of breath when I wake up, and OSCAR doesn't report any events at this time. In the flow rate waveform, there's almost always a large up and down spike that's noticeably larger than the surrounding peaks and troughs recorded at the time when I wake up. I know the exact time when this happens because I take a screenshot of my phone's lock screen to record the time. Some screenshots:

I think it may be palatal prolapse because of some strange waveforms I've seen that look similar to other palatal prolapse waveforms I've seen posted (will post screenshots in a reply to this post), I feel throat irritation right around where the end of the soft palate is, I don't feel shortness of breath whenever I wake up but do feel something like my throat expanded, and Advil helps me stay asleep for some reason.

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Potential palatal prolapse?
Suspect waveform screenshots:

Post Reply Post Reply
Palatal Prolapse has a very distinct from normal wave form. I don't see it here. I see one arousal and small bit iof tossing but not what you are looking for.

The main symptom is the inability to exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow rate pattern for palatal prolapse is a normal start to expiration with a sudden cutoff to zero-flow.  The image below is a classic example what it looks like in Oscar, (we need to get this into the wiki), and we have a member that eventually treated this with an AlaxoStent.  Link to thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AlaxoStent

[Image: attachment.php?aid=34544]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider and Gideon for the replies. I will keep experimenting with my CPAP settings to see if I can fix my wakeup problem, I will try enabling EPR to see if it helps. It's almost like the CPAP isn't or can't react quick enough to the sudden flow limitation.
I've ruled out a positional component because the issue happens when I'm on my back and on my side and also when elevating my head.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turning on EPR to 3 made a HUGE difference. Overnight, almost all my flow limits disappeared with that one change and I had 0 of the sudden wakeups that characterized previous nights. Fingers crossed that this night wasn't a one-off and I can get consistent and uninterrupted sleep.

EPR 0:

EPR 3:

Post Reply Post Reply
The flow limitation was clear in the zoom of your flow rate above. Flattened and multi-peak inspiration waves. I guess we should have said something, but instead focused on PP. Good job figuring out the solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries! It's my fault for not realizing that to find the solution to my problem I had to search for "flow limitation" instead of trying to describe my symptoms to the search bar.
I greatly appreciate all the help you've given me and everyone else here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 20 1,166 04-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 198 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 339 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,793 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 387 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 901 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Could this be palatal prolapse? Artanox 14 1,438 11-21-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Baratn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.