Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Boiling Nasal Pillows
Question 
Boiling Nasal Pillows
My ResMed Swift FX pillows don't seem to last very long, acouple of cleanings in Baby Shampoo and warm water and they lose their tacky seal.
I searched the Forum and there was a topic on boiling them with baking soda. Nowhere could I find the proper mix of water and soda and especially how long they should be boiled.
I would like to get more than three or four uses out of each set.

Any suggestions for me???
Thanks
Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows
Nobody has any ideas?????

Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought the ratio was in that other thread? Near the end?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 07:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I thought the ratio was in that other thread? Near the end?

Yes I missed that! Thank you

But I still like to know how long they should remain in the boil?

Sorry!!Hammer
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 07:37 AM)Bompa Wrote: My ResMed Swift FX pillows don't seem to last very long, acouple of cleanings in Baby Shampoo and warm water and they lose their tacky seal.
I searched the Forum and there was a topic on boiling them with baking soda. Nowhere could I find the proper mix of water and soda and especially how long they should be boiled.
I would like to get more than three or four uses out of each set.

Any suggestions for me???
Thanks
Dont-know

Don't know the answer...but can tell you I could only get 3 weeks out of nasal pillows before they hardened. My provider contacted the supplier who could come up with no reason other than it is just me. I switched to a nasal mask...and have now used the same one for many, many months and it is still as soft as the day I first used it. Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, as for time frame, I'd say feel them before you put them in then keep poking with wooden spoon until you think they are soft enough.

I also suggest NOT doing this to the only pair you have. Try an old set first!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bompa

Maybe try a diluted dishwashing detergent instead of baby shampoo. The shampoo could contain oils or softeners that harm the silicon used in the pillows.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2013, 10:21 AM)gjw Wrote: Hi Bompa

Maybe try a diluted dishwashing detergent instead of baby shampoo. The shampoo could contain oils or softeners that harm the silicon used in the pillows.

;-> gjw

Baby shampoo is one of the cleaning agents recommended by ResMed

Post Reply Post Reply
I was surprised at that, Allen. Baby shampoo can be a skin irritant to a lot of people. I can't use any of them. It is also very hard to rinse off, especially Johnson and Johnson's.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2013, 06:13 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I was surprised at that, Allen. Baby shampoo can be a skin irritant to a lot of people. I can't use any of them. It is also very hard to rinse off, especially Johnson and Johnson's.

I had been using a generic brand fragrance free baby shampoo with no issues, but when I went to buy more they had sold out, so I bought a brand name baby shampoo and have had a slight reaction to it. I now have another bottle of the generic brand.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,760 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.