Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Boiling Nasal Pillows
RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows
Okay, I don't have any kind of "official" answer here, but we boil them anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes or so, depends on what's going on to distract us.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Quattro FX so I have a face cushion rather than nasal pillows. I did the boiling thing twice and when I did it, I think I used 1 or 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a small sauce pan with just enough water to cover the cushion. I boiled with the side down that rests against the face first for 2 minutes, flipped it over for 2 minutes and then flipped it back to the first side again for a final 2 minutes. Removed it from the pan and rinsed it under running water from the tap. Let it air dry and silicone is clearer and tackier.

It does work but I don't think it really adds much to the actual life of the cushion. I find the more important things are to just wash the cushion every morning (I use Ivory liquid soap in warm water) and wash your face immediately before I go to bed to remove all facial oils. I've been using my Quattro FX for about 15 months now and I'm only on my second face cushion and stll getting excellent seal on it.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
It hasn't worked for me.

I was my pillowsin a clear, fragrance free disg detergent.

I wish they would last longer!
Post Reply Post Reply
I steep mine in Milton baby bottle steralising fluid for ten mind once a week (Wipe them each day with a 'sensitive' baby wipe) along with all my tubing and humidifier. Works wonders and smells so clean afterwards
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have to wonder about boiling silicon - surely that would destroy it. The real problem with the Swift LX nasal pillows in washing them is the double wall of the pillows - water gets trapped in there and can then get mouldy or otherwise infected. Even running a hair dryer through it doesn't seem to get that area dry....
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most silicones are stable up to 400 degrees F. boiling water should be ok @ 212 F. (100C)
Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2013, 06:20 PM)DocWils Wrote: I do have to wonder about boiling silicon - surely that would destroy it. The real problem with the Swift LX nasal pillows in washing them is the double wall of the pillows - water gets trapped in there and can then get mouldy or otherwise infected. Even running a hair dryer through it doesn't seem to get that area dry....

I presume you mean Swift FX. I hadn't noticed the double wall area before. I need to rethink my cleaning process.

Quite a few people report that boiling their silicone parts hardens/softens/clarifies/cleans/polymerizes/? or something and it "rejuvenates" old silcone parts for them. Try it on the old parts the next time you're ready to replace your silicone CPAP parts.

Some people have even "baked" them at something like 300F in the oven. Nobody's reported frying them. (Yet) Grin

People should realize that boiling kills a lot of types germs, but it won't kill them all unless you have a pressure cooker. For instance, you need about 250F/121C for 30 minutes when canning certain foods to kill off the botulism germs.

However, boiling will probably kill off the most common worrisome germs for CPAP masks.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not so much rethink the cleaning process as the drying process, non?
Post Reply Post Reply
I still think Milton the best option. If it kills all the bacteria harmful to delicate babies and then breaks down into natural salts, as well as taking no time and trouble to carry out, I'm a big advocate!
Post Reply Post Reply
3 weeks? Hmmm, I've had my F&P Opus 360 Nasal pillow for 5+ months and it still works fine. I clean it with hot water every other day or so and have no issues. Your mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 401 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 488 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 867 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.