Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Boiling pillows in baking soda
Boiling pillows in baking soda
So I've read about the baking soda trick here and elsewhere but what I exactly do I do? I've got 3 used pairs of nasal pillows. Just bring some water to a boil and then chuck them in and let it cool off? How much baking soda and water should I use?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Boiling pillows in baking soda
This has been discussed a few times. I can't remember the results, though. I did a forum search and came up with this thread.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...lows--2506
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I have three old pairs here that are just going to go into the trash, so I guess I'll start with one and see where it goes from there. Worst case scenario I chuck them like I was going to anyway. Thanks for digging up the old thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know the results.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The thread title gave me an entirely different mental picture.
(Like boiling bed pillows in baking soda.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I recall French forum member in the old forum (sorry cannot remember the name) his job was to do silicone said that placing the cushions in the oven reviving somewhat (again don,t recall for how long or temp of the oven) oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been washing mine in Dettol hand was, and and have survived thus far.
Supposed to kill 99.9 % of germs.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so today I took the a pair of pillows where the left nostrils inner wall had collapsed. I filled a saucepan with water a little over enough to submerge a pair of pillows and stirred in 1 tsp of baking soda. Brought it to a rolling boil, tossed in the pillows, and took it off the heat. Then I let it cool for about 40 mins or so. When I took it out, I was able to push up the inner wall with my finger and it's now back to the original shape. However, I never thought to do this before boiling! And I don't have any other pairs where that has happened. So I don't know whether it really helped anything. I will try sleeping with the boiled pair later this week and compare it to the fresh one I'm using.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 05:05 PM)justMongo Wrote: The thread title gave me an entirely different mental picture.
(Like boiling bed pillows in baking soda.)

Mongo, you have a vivid imagination. Makes me think of the OLD silly joke:
I had a dream that I was eating giant marshmallows, then I woke up and my pillow was gone.

I can hear my wife now, "You want me to boil your what?"
Post Reply Post Reply
So I finally got around to washing and trying them last night. It worked well, I think. I was able to push up the collapsed inner wall. My leak numbers were good and it didn't feel like it was leaking and I had to tighten it up a whole lot, which is sort of my cue to get new pillows. Unfortunately I don't even remember how old this one is so I couldn't go back and compare the leak data. But I'd say it's worth a shot. I'd be interested in hearing the chemistry explanation of how it actually works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 681 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.