Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bonehead SD Card Move
RE: Bonehead SD Card Move
One thing I did in the beginning when I was looking at data more than once a week: each night when I got ready to push the on button, I slid my hand to the back of the machine and felt for the card. It's easy to feel if it is there are not. And I was surprised at how easy that habit was to form, too.

Now that I only download it once a week, it is easier to remember to put it back in as soon as I am done.

As for the software, even if I lose the AHI, I much prefer SleepyHead to ResScan. SH was made for me, the user. I like the big graphs and ease of use. ResScan was made for someone else (not sure since many docs never see the data and the DME only wants the hours for the insurance) and never had the end user in mind at all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Loaded SH. Lots of graphs; more than ResScan it seems. A bit weird how to enlarge and get the graphs to move but figuring it out.

Once the novelty wears out, I'll probably just dl once per week. I seem to now have the settings at optimal levels for leakage and AHI. Good idea by getting in a habit of feeling for the card.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2014, 09:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: ResScan was made for someone else (not sure since many docs never see the data and the DME only wants the hours for the insurance) and never had the end user in mind at all.

It sure makes one wonder even though my sleep doc does print out a report each time that I see him. Haven't heard of any doctors looking at the detailed data. Makes me think that the only time that they are interested in the detail is if there is a problem they want to look into. on the other hand maybe some of us (me for instance) are too data driven.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had blood pressure issues so bad I had a heart cath done (and many other expensive tests), all my sleep doc did was give me a recording oximeter for a night. Then take a wild guess as to how high to raise the pressure (he raised it two full points which probably caused a lot of centrals and certainly gave me stomach air). No follow up. He did say in the visit that I was to see him once a year but I wondered why. Just ask how am I feeling? Can you imagine if my GP did that for my diabetes or for my hypertension or for any of my other conditions? "Well, you're gaining a little weight, let's raise that thyroid medication to see if that stops it."

Sleep apnea is a disorder that is responsible, or can be responsible, for so many other conditions, yet sleep docs treat us like assembly line products. Once we are sold the product and sent out the door, the follow up protocol stinks. "Close enough" doesn't cut it. I could have had a stroke waiting for them to figure out what was wrong with me when if I had a data capable machine and a sleep doc that gave a **&$#, it could have been solved much, much sooner. And with my Autoset, I was able to do just that. Last year when my PVCs started, I was able to eliminate my OSA as the cause immediately. My GP and I were comfortable with the data and moved on to other causes.

Sorry, I tend to get on my soap box. Oh-jeez Eat-popcorn
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2014, 02:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sleep apnea is a disorder that is responsible, or can be responsible, for so many other conditions, yet sleep docs treat us like assembly line products. Once we are sold the product and sent out the door, the follow up protocol stinks. "Close enough" doesn't cut it. I could have had a stroke waiting for them to figure out what was wrong with me when if I had a data capable machine and a sleep doc that gave a **&$#, it could have been solved much, much sooner. And with my Autoset, I was able to do just that. Last year when my PVCs started, I was able to eliminate my OSA as the cause immediately. My GP and I were comfortable with the data and moved on to other causes.

Sorry, I tend to get on my soap box. Oh-jeez Eat-popcorn

Well, I don't get it! BP meds are monitored; diabetes is monitored, etc.

We now have data-capable machines which provide pretty specific details. AHI's, central and/or obstructive apneas....It was unthinkable that my DME "gave" me the Escape a week or so ago. My question to her was, "how will the doc know if I'm having AHI's? Her answer was pretty lame about some test that basically asks how you feel, as you have stated. Unconscionable, especially when we have the means to monitor that info!!

Glad you have an autoset and that you are able to get things under control.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2014, 10:58 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Once the novelty wears out, I'll probably just dl once per week.
I must see my SleepyHead numbers every morning. How else would I know how good to feel during the day?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2014, 02:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No follow up. He did say in the visit that I was to see him once a year but I wondered why. Just ask how am I feeling? Can you imagine if my GP did that for my diabetes or for my hypertension or for any of my other conditions? "Well, you're gaining a little weight, let's raise that thyroid medication to see if that stops it."

LOL! I have an APAP machine that collects data and I have a BG meter that collects data. Both connect to my computer, both have great software to enable me to create reports with details that allow great input for on-going diagnosis and care. Sad thing is no one (since my original doc that doesn't see patients anymore) has ever asked to see anything. No compliance data, no logbook, nothing. This is why it is so important we get machines in our lives that provide us with the data, that we learn to use that data, and that we act as advocates for ourselves to get the best care possible!

...and that was my soapbox! Cool
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be real interested to know if anyone on here, or may know of anyone, who's doc actually asked for specific data from their machines rather than just asking how they felt.

If I'm a doctor, I want that "hard" objective data to go along with the subjectiveness of how a pt feels!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 10:46 AM)Stargazer Wrote: I'd be real interested to know if anyone on here, or may know of anyone, who's doc actually asked for specific data from their machines rather than just asking how they felt.

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea back in 2004. The sleep doctor spent 3 minutes with me going over my sleep study results and ordered a CPAP for me at that time. I haven't heard back from the doctor since then.

But yeah, you would think that a doctor would want to view the data to see how the treatment is progressing. But I'd be willing to bet that most doctors never ask to see the data at all. The only reason a DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) might do it is to get supporting data for compliance (insurance) purposes [to make sure you're using the machine each night], but not usually to judge the effectiveness of treatment. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
since I finally got a sleep doc after over two years of PAPing, He actually does print out a report from my CPAP every time that I see him in addition to asking me how I feel. I must have gotten one of the better ones.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to move OSCAR data to another computer Alun 2 974 07-09-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Alun
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 923 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Advice on move to Full Face Mask Alan Speed 13 1,812 09-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,887 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
Information SERVER MOVE - [note: COMPLETED NOW] SuperSleeper 1 896 01-28-2020, 02:52 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  What (quieter) mask can I move to from a Dreamwear ? BHappy 13 3,030 10-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Last Post: SnoreFreeIWish
  Anyone ever move to a lower elevation for sleep apnea? camrewop 5 1,490 08-30-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: camrewop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.