Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bongo Rx instead of mask?
Bongo Rx instead of mask?
Is anyone using the Bongo Rx instead of a mask? If yes, do you have any trouble keeping the device in your nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bongo Rx instead of mask?
Hi Helsal! - Welcome

After looking at this device, may I suggest you first try Breathe-Right strips. Both of the items address the same nasal area. However, most OSA is caused from either the palate or throat airway area collapsing. In that case, this device is about 3 to 4 inches too short.

Have you been tested to see if what type of apnea you have?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but your response doesn't address my issue. I wonder if you know what the Bongo is? It's certainly different from Breathe Right strips.

But thanks for replying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize for not answering your question. I was looking at their design and see that they address the same region of the nasal cavity. Hopefully, someone will have a proper answer for you shortly.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several YouTube videos on this product. I did not take the time to watch them but they could give you some insight.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thnx!
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape (and others) the Bongo doesn't treat apnea by keeping nose open. It acts like a spring loaded check valve to maintain EPAP during exhalation. While you breath out you have to breath out with a certain force in order to overcome the spring (lets say 10 cm pressure), then when nearing the end of exhalation pressure drops slightly below this 10 cm and the check valve closes maintaining pressure until you start to inhale. It acts pretty much the same way as PAP does by providing backpressure to keep airway open but instead of using air pressure supplied by a blower it uses a check valve and your spontaneous breathing effort.

Helsal, I have no experience with the Bongo but researched it a bit when another user posted asking about it. I saw a couple negatives that make me think it wouldn't be my first choice.

1) It doesn't work for everyone because unlike PAP there is a moment where air pressure is lost. It maintains pressure while you exhale but as soon as your body starts inhale process pressure drops (spontaneous inhalation creates a vacuum to suck in next breath of air). In some people this loss of pressure during inhalation allows airway to close. PAP on the other hand maintains positive pressure at all times and increases/decreases flow rate depending on if you are inhaling or exhaling.

2) The studies I read about this technology said it is harder to adapt to then PAP. I believe this is because it requires physical effort on your part rather then a CPAP machine doing the work for you. One of the common complaints about PAP use is difficulty breathing out against pressure and this would have the same issue. The big difference is that PAP can use EPR and PS to help improve ability to breath out.

If you want to try it I am sure others would be interested to know the results. There is probably a small group of patients with minor apnea that can do well with this technology and may even prefer it over PAP (definitely from a simplicity point of view).

I doubt there is trouble with them falling out as they come with headgear to hold in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Geer1 for the update. After looking at it, I didn't dive any deeper into its operation.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks @Helsal didn't know this product.

I'm really curious about the pression that can keep in the airways. I doubt the volume is enough to make a real difference on the apnea... (idk)

@Crimson the idea of this product is valve which keep pressure produced by the expiration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for informing me of its operational design.  So in theory it will only work if you don't mouth breathe. Also, I didn't see any way to adjust the back pressure for your individual needs.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.