Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bongo Rx instead of mask?
RE: Bongo Rx instead of mask?
(05-25-2021, 09:55 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Thanks for informing me of its operational design.  So in theory it will only work if you don't mouth breathe.  Also, I didn't see any way to adjust the back pressure for your individual needs.

I didn't look in details, just googled for 30sec but maybe there is multiple valve to adjust the pressure. Anyway it's like 400$ but for travels it's could be better as nothing. But I have a lots of doubt about the low volume of compressed air that handle after expiration. Plus the delay between end of expiration and inhalation...

It's clearly not a daily product.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the good information, Geer1. I've been using the Bongo for about a week and have had no trouble adjusting to it. No physical effort on my part. When I tried mask after mask, I never got more than 1 or 2 hours of sleep before ripping it off.  With the Bongo, I slept through the night the first time. My doctor told me about it and recommended I try it as a last resort. The product information says it's intended for mild and moderate apnea, but a few user reviews I read said it worked even for severe apnea. But as you said, it won't work for everyone. 

I'll need another sleep test in a couple of months to see how well it's working.  I'll report back with my results. 

P.S. I tape my mouth and it's done away with a very thick tongue and overall dryness in the morning. Highly recommend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you have to select an EPAP pressure or are they fixed at a certain pressure? I tried finding that information but wasn't able to do so.

Would definitely be interesting to see some real world results.
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPAP pressure is fixed, and it's significant. On exhaling, it feels a bit like having a stuffed-up nose, but I found it easy to adjust to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 11:43 PM)Helsal Wrote: The EPAP pressure is fixed, and it's significant. On exhaling, it feels a bit like having a stuffed-up nose, but I found it easy to adjust to.

So your problem with using CPAP is not breathing out against EPAP but with the discomfort of masks. Am I correct?

Personally, I'd have more problem with the stuffed up nose feeling.

How are you sure your OSA is being treated? 
Are you basing it off how you feel after a night of sleep?

For mask discomfort, I'd suggest looking at:
the Bleep/Dreamports mask system 
bleepsleep.com

or the NozeSeal system (or a DIY version) with PR Nuance Pro 
youtu.be/t08jBCWt21Q
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I've tried every mask out there and have suffered serious insomnia trying to get use to them. I'll have another sleep test in about a month to see what my numbers are. I have moderate apnea, and my doctor thinks the Bongo will work for me. I tape my mouth to insure I'm breathing through my nose. As for the feeling of a stuffed-up nose, it's no longer an issue. It took only a couple of days for it to pass. I absolutely love being mask-free, no noise or tubes to deal with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I realize the appeal of no hose or mask, but since this device doesn't produce any data, how do you know it is actually helping you?

Also, what is the lifespan of this device before replacement?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll take another sleep test in about a month to find out if the Bongo has reduced my numbers. That's the only way to determine if it's helping. I've already noticed less fatigue during the day since using it, in fact a lot less. And I'm not awake half the night like I was when trying to adjust to wearing a mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape: Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. The Bongo needs to be replaced every 90 days. The replacement, from what I've read, is much cheaper than the starter kit because the kit gives you 4 different sizes to try. Once you've determined the size that fits, you order only that one after 90 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information.  I take it that this product is not to be considered if price is a concern.  

Based on my math using a CPAP's life of 5 years:
$ 200.00 Fit package
 1500.00 ($300 annual replacement @ 5 Years)
$1700.00 Total cost for 5 years.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,831 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.