Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bongo Rx instead of mask?
RE: Bongo Rx instead of mask?
For me, the price of the Bongo turns out to be slightly less expensive than CPAP over 5 years. I found a deal for a starter kit (with 4 different sizes to try.) It reduced the cost from $199.00 to $159.00. Periodically, you can find deals like this. Here's the breakdown of my expenses:

$ 159.00 for starter kit
$1495.00 ($299.00 annual replacement @ 5 years)
$1654 total cost for 5 years.

By the way, the $299.00 annual replacement fee appears to be the standard cost, not a sale or deal. 

Bottom line for me: Even if I hadn't gotten a deal on the starter kit, I would gladly have paid an extra 1-time fee of $40.00 for it, bringing the total to 1 cent less than you paid for your fit package.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no real skin in this (as it's completely incapable of managing my central apnea) but I'll just add that CPAP reduces my AHI by about 1/2 to 1/3 of no treatment. That results in a (sometimes) significant improvement in many of my symptoms. That said, even at 1/3 of my untreated AHI, that's still high enough to qualify as severe apnea (hence why I am chasing ASV). So symptom improvement is definitely a bonus, but it doesn't necessarily mean the numbers will look good.

It will be interesting to see what the next sleep study shows, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not a full time Bongo RX user but my husband is. I really prefer the CPAP and full face mask because I was diagnosed over 10 years ago before all this EPAP stuff came out. 
I am considered severe and a doctor would not recommend Bongo RX for me because of my central apnea, but one if my husbands fit and I do wear it part time. Does it work? Yes. Do I know how well? No. That’s an issue for me. I don’t snore or wake up while using it but I really feel more secure in a full face mask. I will tell you this much that I do know...I cannot go with nothing. I cannot even fall asleep as I wake every 3 seconds feeling like I cannot breathe with nothing on, even sitting up in a chair. We lose power here and I need back up and discovered his Bongo worked alright and I could at least fall asleep and be OK. I do open my mouth a few times during the night, but it’s still a thousand time better than nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
When wearing the Bongo Rx, you might want to tape your mouth to insure you breathe through your nose. That's what makes the Bongo work. Another advantage of mouth taping is no more dry mouth when you wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, yea, I have a chinstrap I purchased years ago, but I really can get by without it. I only wear the bongo when we go to friends or we lose power. I will say that if you are mild or even not severe like me, this might be the way to go. My husband uses it as his nightly therapy and his sleep apnea hasn't progressed to severe. I with they would have had something like this when I started on cpap and was borderline. 
Kind of off the subject but does anyone have information on a surgical procedure called the Airlift here?
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your husband wear the strap that comes in the box with the Bongo? The one disadvantage for me is that sometimes the Bongo drops out of my nose when I'm asleep. I'm wearing a medium, and the directions say to go up a size if this keeps happening, so I may try the large. Or I may attach the strap to the medium.

Sorry but I don't have any info on the surgical procedure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sara, Helsal, thank you for sharing your experiences with Bongo.
It appears much more convenient than CPAP and could be particularly useful for those who get CPAP treatment-emergent central sleep apnea.

Outside of a sleep study, a pulse oximeter could help show how well the device is working.

It looks like Apria Direct has a 14 day risk-free trial for Bongo.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really liking my Bongo and know I wouldn't be treating my apnea without it. I gave up on all the masks I tried, but got used to the Bongo very quickly and appreciate how unobtrusive it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have severe sleep apnea, don't try to switch off the machine into a mandible device or BongoRx. Even if others say they successfully did, they’re not catching all their apneas if they’re severe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep my Bongo in using the headstrap.  It won't stay in otherwise, no matter what size I use (and small is best). On another note, I find that mucus collects in the Bongo while I sleep and sprays out onto my upper lip.  It wakes me up because it is cold and wet.  I have to blow my nose and clean the Bongo before I can sleep again.  I don't have any problem with mucus while I sleep when not using the Bongo.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Any thoughts please?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,215 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,425 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,833 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,530 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.