Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bought a vauto out-of-pocket -- how much do I tell the cpap police?
Bought a vauto out-of-pocket -- how much do I tell the cpap police?
I'm heading into my second night on the vauto that I bought off craigslist. First night was an astonishing success!

But now that I've "gone rogue" I need to figure out just how much information I should share with Resmed, the dme, the sleep clinic?

I put it in airplane mode when I turned it on.

So should I take it out of airplane mode, log into my MyAir account, and add the serial number?

How does the DME and the sleep clinic associate data with a particular patient? Is it using the serial number on the machine? (that they know because I brought them my card) Or if I link the serial number of the new machine to my MyAir account, does that associate both machines with me? (I mean people get new machines and keep the old ones as backup all the time, and if they use both machines then if anybody cares then they would have to know about both machines, right?)

I feel like such a rebel!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bought a vauto out-of-pocket -- how much do I tell the cpap police?
"Hey so my uncle got a new bipap machine and let me use his old one. I sleep better on it. Can we swap my rx to bipap instead of cpap?"

Does myair let you re-register used machines? That's something you might have a problem with.
Post Reply Post Reply
One don't lie about it. But also I'd say do they all NEED to know?
  • ResMed: they can't support your therapy anyway, likely no warranty from them on a used PAP, AND you are not ResMed's customer so they probably couldn't care less
  • the DME: straight n simple you bought a VAuto, tell them that and that you need supplies for ResMed 10 series...ALL 10s use the same stuff, hoses, filters, tubs...on the other hand it's the same supplies you get now, so you can choose not to tell them...you decide that one
  • the sleep clinic: YES tell them that you have upgraded to VAuto and follow-up with "and this is how I'm doing with my VAuto"

You have OSCAR, do you need bleach blonde cheerleader MyAir? NO. If me that's what I'd do.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. Don't lie about it. Docs don't quite know what to do with patients who not only comply, but take hold of their own care. My new sleep doc liked having access to my sleep data (from the card, not MyAir). Now that I have a Fit Bit, he wants me to print out the heart info as well. I have to figure out how to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
My two experiences with similar concerns:

My used backup Autoset: 

Support staff at the sleep lab of my pulmonologist spotted the difference between my name and the prior owner's name and reported it in the examining room where he and I were conversing. The prior owner's name had been written to the SD card they read. I don't remember, but believe sleep info had been erased, but not the owner name, on it. Probably they read the same "erased" SD card that was in the machine when I bought it--don't know now.

I simply immediately recited the name of the party I bought the unit from and said  I had copies of email exchanges leading up to our point of sale meeting. The MD was satisfied, but, the key point probably is that we used buyers most often do not know the name of the prior owner and cannot, so far as I know, determine it from permanent memory as labs' equipment can. I don't know, but assume the device would write that info on a blank, totally erased or new SD card.

My used VAuto: 

When I bought it through OfferUp from an anonymous party out of state, I was wary of this issue, but the same pulmonologist and staff had no comment after reading my SD card. I had tried to have the intermediary I dealt with  arrange contact with the woman who allegedly was selling her recently departed son's VAuto and electric wheel chair to raise cash. I was concerned and was suspicious because of low price, which I was willing to supplement if I first talked with the mother.  But nothing came of my effort. I made sure to avoid MyAir and to keep the VAuto in Airplane Mode. Further, I had made screen shots of all my interaction with the woman's alleged agent and had/have them to present to the MD if need be.

I consulted one of the County sheriff's  (now long retired) detectives in the family who had dealt with drug matters for years, in disguise, long hair in that time, etc. He, still in frequent contact with the department and friends there, was not aware of any form of national or state registry of stolen item identifications for such items.

Tonight, years later, I googled widely. All I found were these two links, not sufficient, but still useful. I haven't tried them. One is for stolen items (may be legitimate), the other is a Resmed tool for determining if a Resmed device has been refurbished. I am in this same buy-used process  now, buying a second VAuto as backup for mine with 5000 hr.

Check if lost or stolen - Stolen Register

Verify Device (resmed.com)
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was about to buy a vauto with only 200 hrs for the unbelieable price of $50 when I discovered
the sleepy little town of 1,083 where it was located was the home of 93 registered sex offenders.
I just decided a hot deal like that in that town just might be stolen.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went rogue many years ago when I bought my first BiPAP (PRS1 DS760) out of pocket. As I gathered use time and data on the BiPAP, I shared records of my prescriptions, and a comparative analysis from what was then Sleepyhead that showed the benefits of bilevel compared to CPAP with my doctor. We discussed my use of BiPAP and how it was beneficial compared to CPAP, and he integrated our encounter into my medical records. After about 1-year using BiPAP, I decided to try to get a new Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto covered by insurance. I explained what I wanted and the prescription parameters that had been effective with my doctor and he wrote the prescription and submitted to my DME. The request for bilevel was denied, but we appealed and my doctor supported the medical need for bilevel based on his knowledge of my history and results, and the authorization was approved. That took about 3-months to complete. I am now in need for a replacement of that machine that is 5-1/2 years old and approaching 18000 hours. I suspect we will again experience the prescription, denial, appeal, approval cycle. I have purchased a used Vauto this past year, and will continue to use bilevel whether insurance wants to participate or not. This information is for the DME because they have a financial interest in getting approval, and when you make it clear that a CPAP is no-sale, they will change their attitude.

All of that is to say, at some point you do want to be very open about your use of the bilevel and rationale for using it. A strong opinion that it has been beneficial and some graphic or empirical evidence that you need bilevel and cannot tolerate a return to less-effective CPAP needs to be made to someone that will listen and support your needs. That may or may not be your current doctor and medical team. It's not like you're married to them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2021, 11:59 PM)cathyf Wrote: I feel like such a rebel!

You are a Rebel.

I agree with everyone else.  
Resmed = dont care
DME = you are still paying us right?  dont care.  Oh you are choosing another DME ok dont care...
Doctor = senarios:
1)Hand them your sd card and don't say anything.  You say I feel good.  When the come back in the room see if they say...  Your numbers look good. We'll see you next year.
OR 
if they say did you get a different machine you say Yes! dont my numbers look great..

2) Just tell then straight out here is my card, oh I got a new machine.  I feel great.  Go look and come back and tell me how my numbers are..
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I went from dreamstation (from DME) to a ResMed VAUTO that I purchased from supplier # 2 used. Great machine and great company.

The only problem I had wa when I needed supplies. The DMEsaid I was not using my CPAP (compliance). I took over the report generated in the myAir app and a picture of my new serial number from the back of the machine - no problem after that.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
@staceyburke
Did the DME registered your machine bought out of pocket to their system?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 580 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 473 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 89 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 144 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 732 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,364 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.