Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brain fog improvement? Your experience?
RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience?
I had MAJOR brain fog that severely affected cognition and speech.

I stumbled upon some helpers: eliminate gluten from my diet, & treat my Lyme. But CPAP has effectively eliminated the remainder of my brain fog!!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Communication can be a big word. You will need to communicate with your wife and kids that the CPAP is needed or your health WILL get worse. The brain fog is a result of not using the CPAP in your case.

I had brain fog until I started CPAP, BPAP, then ASV therapy. It did affect my thinking, causing more negative thoughts and behavior. It did slowly go away, as I said, upon use of xPap. I'd estimate it took a few weeks to fade out.

I have neither, girlfriend, wife, or kids, but if I did, they would need to support xPap use. And I'd communicate why I need ASV to sleep.

You have the choice to communicate and to use it or not, but accept the consequence of being worse for it if you don't use xPap.

Coffee

PS I'll add in consider inspire like Sleeprider suggested if CPAP really cannot work. I believe you owe yourself and your family that you do something positive and not passively take what comes.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I strongly advocate for CPAP and agree with others here that communicating its benefits and getting the support of your family are essential.

I have been doing CPAP with great consistency for 90 days. I would like to say that I have been cured of my brain fog but on many days I still feel it. This might be a matter of stress, lack of more consistent sleep, whatever... But my wife claims that the fog is not as bad as before and that I recover from it more quickly in the a.m.

My sleep doctor said recently, "It would certainly be nice if you felt more alert and energetic, but let's be clear: You must do CPAP for your brain and heart first, and for positive side effects second."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using cpap for about 2 months now.  I am a mum to a special needs child and he had no issues accepting how I look with my mask on.  Kids accept these things and without judgment far better than adults do from my experience.

For me I suffered brain fog severely prior to using cpap, but never realised it was brain fog.  Honestly, I thought my cognitive capacity was slightly impaired.  Within the first 2 days of using cpap I felt 100% better and had a clear head from the time I got out of bed.  That is the moment I realised I previously suffered brain fog!  

It is hard when our kids are little and we need to get up to them in the night and especially if your partner wants you to take turns and you sleep through it (because suddenly your quality of sleep is so much better), but at least when you treat your sleep apnoea you know you have reduced the risk of having a stroke and heart attack so you will likely be around and in your family's lives much longer than if you have untreated sleep apnoea, and you will have a lot more energy during the day to play with your daughter and make some wonderful memories.  For me, treating the sleep apnoea means I no longer need to have 3-5 hour afternoon naps so I am a lot more present with my family.

I am also told non-compliance with cpap once diagnosed might mean you risk having your driver's licence taken away too which will place potential hardship on you and your family.  Compliance means wearing the mask for 4 hours per night.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I mentioned a couple things that lead to my brain fog, and I forgot to mention Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi gives me pretty severe brain fog.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 76 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 7 533 04-11-2024, 02:59 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,248 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 120 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 3 269 03-29-2024, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 125 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 457 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.