Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful
RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful
(04-25-2018, 02:30 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It's not unusual for people to take a little while to adapt to the machine. After all you're learning a whole new way to breathe, with a plastic alien strapped to your face blowing air up your nose from a compressor!  Shock  Some people get instant results, but for most of us it's a journey, one step forwards and two steps back, until we arrive at a new level of health. The important thing now is to realise that even if it's a bit hard at first, things will get better with perseverance. We've all been through it, and we're all here to help.

Thanks, that is just what I needed to wake up to.  It was a rough night, I had it on and off so many times.  A number of times in my sleep.  I can see why people are noncompliant with them.  But, I am determined to persevere.
Post Reply Post Reply
PerChancetoDream,
It is a booger to get used to it at first.  Everything associated with sleep has an effect.  Having a foreign object strapped to your face, your bed, pillow, temperature, darkness, noise, sleeping position, and the list goes on.  Eventually you will strike a optimum combination and will wonder why you didn't start therapy sooner.  For now it's just a matter of time before your body and mind decide to accept this. . . Resistance is futile!  

Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The edit profile link should appear on the left margin in the User CP. Try this link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp....on=profile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 10:13 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: I have gone in the User Control Panel to update my profile several times, but I don't see any option to change anything. Is it because I am on my phone?

It might be because you are on your phone. But even with a computer I found the link hard to identify. See the snip of a screenshot below. While it looks like a title of various options, it is really a link. You need to click on the section that says "Edit Profile", and not the items listed below it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all! I got the changes on my profile.

I fell asleep unexpectedly on the couch last night, but when I woke up and went to bed, I put on my pillows and it wasn't a full night's sleep, but I kept them in the whole time and actually felt a bit more rested when my alarm went off! I feel like there is hope for me, yet! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2018, 08:33 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: PerChancetoDream,
It is a booger to get used to it at first.  Everything associated with sleep has an effect.  Having a foreign object strapped to your face, your bed, pillow, temperature, darkness, noise, sleeping position, and the list goes on.  Eventually you will strike a optimum combination and will wonder why you didn't start therapy sooner.  For now it's just a matter of time before your body and mind decide to accept this. . . Resistance is futile!  

Sleep-well

I am glad you said that.  I deliberately tried to get as much sleep as possible last night and logged 5.1 hrs, but even tho I kept the pillow thing on, I partially awoke more times than I can count putting the straps back on (I suspect not quite the right size) so it didn't fall out.

Today's goals include downloading sleepyhead and getting my data on there, and looking at the info on this sote regarding what it all means.  

I am trying to think how far I have come in a week...it feels like I am sleeping with fighter pilot stuff on my face still.

Are leaks to be expected? I had a number of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
We all have leaks, several each night.  They are almost certainly related to contact with the mask that deflects them aside or we tuck our chins and the mask gets pushed upward breaking the seal on the bridge of the nose.  

The trick is to keep learning, but to keep persisting in learning and to EXPECT to prevail...eventually.  How badly do you want this to work? If you are deadly serious, then keep chipping away at the problems.  It's like fixing a lumpy lawn...one shovelful of topsoil, leveled, at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2018, 01:17 PM)mesenteria Wrote: We all have leaks, several each night.  They are almost certainly related to contact with the mask that deflects them aside or we tuck our chins and the mask gets pushed upward breaking the seal on the bridge of the nose.  

The trick is to keep learning, but to keep persisting in learning and to EXPECT to prevail...eventually.  How badly do you want this to work? If you are deadly serious, then keep chipping away at the problems.  It's like fixing a lumpy lawn...one shovelful of topsoil, leveled, at a time.

Thanks, that is good to know, I am persisting and learning along the way!  I do expect to prevail and I look forward to the nights when I have a low number of events and get a good, long night's sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been persisting. It is getting a bit better. I have a nasal mask and a machine from a DME coming, maybe next week. It turns out my insurance covers it all 100%, it was just that the former sleep doctor was a "tier 2" provider. So, $250 spent that I wouldn't have had to. But, I will have a back up.

I am having trouble getting my behind in my bed for enough hours, tho I am doing much better keeping the nasal pillows in my nostrils.

I downloaded Sleepyhead and will try using it today as I just got the thing to read an SD card on my laptop. I am looking forward to learning more & managing my OSA better.

I saw my neurologist this week and he suggested to find a different sleep doctor, and see what they have to offer. Sounds good, since the other office became hostile.

My questions today...what tricks for getting behind in bed when the end of the day seems to be when I actually get chores done, and I seem to be a bedtime procrastinator?

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2018, 12:14 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: I am trying to think how far I have come in a week...it feels like I am sleeping with fighter pilot stuff on my face still.

That feeling will go away! I have just got to the point, in the last week, where I actually look forward to putting the mask on at bedtime each night. I'm not exaggerating. I would say that the Brevida (and I don't see why the P10 can't be about the same) feels like a kiss on the nostrils, except that that's kinda gross.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup NOTICE: 4 New Monitors now on Staff! SuperSleeper 7 273 Yesterday, 04:45 AM
Last Post: SeePak
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 113 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 205 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to Diagnosis. Looking for advice and have concerns re: my data bitteroblivion 4 176 04-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,734 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 282 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 240 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.