Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful
RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful
(05-06-2018, 12:43 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: My questions today...what tricks for getting behind in bed when the end of the day seems to be when I actually get chores done, and I seem to be a bedtime procrastinator?

One possibility: If you're a reader, then go to bed with whatever book you're into at the moment, don the mask (don we now our gay apparel), switch the machine on, breathe normally and/or deeply, and read for as long as you want to or until you get sleepy. If that ends up being an hour or two or three, nothing wrong with that; go for it. Be sure that the light switch is within reach so you don't have to remove the mask or get out of bed to turn the light off.

The general idea is to make breathing through the mask merely a routine sort of thing, not as though it were some kind of painful treatment in a medical clinic.

In case you ever have mask claustrophobia (although I think that should be much less common with the light, small-faceprint nasal-pillow and nasal-cushion masks), what works for me (YMMV) is to try to subdue it by stealth: breathe normally and especially deeply with the mask on, resisting the temptation to remove it. In my case, what happens is that the over-analytical worrywart left hemisphere quickly gets the message that it doesn't have anything to worry about this time because the body is getting plenty of oxygen, and it sort of says "Oh, well, OK, then" and it stops complaining.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a side note about reading in bed for a long time, that can also help in a different way at the beginning of your CPAP therapy: if you're in the compliance period and you're having trouble putting up with the mask-breathing for at least 4 hours per night 70% of nights, then just arrange things so that those 4 or more hours are not all sleeping. As someone pointed out in another thread here (can't remember author or title or anything), in the compliance data there's no indication of whether you're sleeping or not. In the full data there is some indication (not as much as with an EEG, as during a sleep study), but the DME & insurance provider shouldn't be reading or caring about the full data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 10:13 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: Except for not having the  "for her" setting, I seem to have obtained a great machine. 

It is.  It's terrific.

Sleeprider is absolutely correct about switching off the Ramp setting.  It's really superfluous.  The reason I mention it again is that it has a lot to do with whether you can quickly and easily adapt to being on the machine.  Related to that is the recommendation not to set the pressure too low, which might seem counter-intuitive.  It turns out that it's actually better and more comfortable to be getting your prescribed therapy pressure or some narrow range around it.  You could also experiment with EPR, setting it to 0, 1, 2, 3 and seeing how comfortable each of those settings is.  Generally it does make a difference.  (I don't want to get into the thang of whether EPR is a boondoggle; that's in another thread and let's keep it there.)

Also, because you mentioned getting a second machine that insurance is paying for, I'll recommend this:  Find out the short-term mask-exchange policy that your DME should offer (first 30 days or whatever), be sure to get a mask from the DME in addition to the one you're using, and make that a different brand and/or model of your choice.  Ask for the full "fit kit" or "fit pack" that includes all sizes of silicone nosepieces (cushion or pillow), assuming that you're not going for a full-face mask.  At that point, and after figuring out what size of nosepiece you take, you can do A/B comparisons between the two masks.  But wait, there's more!  (Fun for the whole family!)  You might find that neither of those two is completely comfortable, so that you wake up in the middle of the night with a sore nose or whatever, and you'll be thinking that it's your fault.  But it's not your fault; it's the mask's fault.  You'll be able to keep the same machine basically forever, but with masks, you gotta shop around (what your mama told you was right).  If you're lucky, you'll hit on the right one for you in just a few tries, but if it takes more, like five or six or seven, then that's how it goes and you should be prepared for that.

Personally, I have prepared for it by budgeting some money for it over the course of the first six months of my CPAP adventure.  That's one way.  But you can probably use your DME's exchange policy at first, so you might want to get ready to do some test-driving unless you're perfectly happy with the P10.  Just a thought FWIW.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2018, 03:44 PM)fats Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 10:13 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: Except for not having the  "for her" setting, I seem to have obtained a great machine. 

It is.  It's terrific.

Sleeprider is absolutely correct about switching off the Ramp setting.  It's really superfluous.  The reason I mention it again is that it has a lot to do with whether you can quickly and easily adapt to being on the machine.  Related to that is the recommendation not to set the pressure too low, which might seem counter-intuitive.  It turns out that it's actually better and more comfortable to be getting your prescribed therapy pressure or some narrow range around it.  You could also experiment with EPR, setting it to 0, 1, 2, 3 and seeing how comfortable each of those settings is.  Generally it does make a difference.  (I don't want to get into the thang of whether EPR is a boondoggle; that's in another thread and let's keep it there.)

Also, because you mentioned getting a second machine that insurance is paying for, I'll recommend this:  Find out the short-term mask-exchange policy that your DME should offer (first 30 days or whatever), be sure to get a mask from the DME in addition to the one you're using, and make that a different brand and/or model of your choice.  Ask for the full "fit kit" or "fit pack" that includes all sizes of silicone nosepieces (cushion or pillow), assuming that you're not going for a full-face mask.  At that point, and after figuring out what size of nosepiece you take, you can do A/B comparisons between the two masks.  But wait, there's more!  (Fun for the whole family!)  You might find that neither of those two is completely comfortable, so that you wake up in the middle of the night with a sore nose or whatever, and you'll be thinking that it's your fault.  But it's not your fault; it's the mask's fault.  You'll be able to keep the same machine basically forever, but with masks, you gotta shop around (what your mama told you was right).  If you're lucky, you'll hit on the right one for you in just a few tries, but if it takes more, like five or six or seven, then that's how it goes and you should be prepared for that.

Personally, I have prepared for it by budgeting some money for it over the course of the first six months of my CPAP adventure.  That's one way.  But you can probably use your DME's exchange policy at first, so you might want to get ready to do some test-driving unless you're perfectly happy with the P10.  Just a thought FWIW.

Thanks to both replies.  I can probably get some good reading and practice in!  I should get a book about starting a small business lol and make this profitable time! Wink

I am not in love with the P10 pillows. I am somewhat used to them now, but I want to try the one that goes over nose and mouth and hopefully has better fitting straps.  So, cool. I will ask about an assortment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I heard from an insurance rep that I have 100% coverage for a CPAP. I mostly just wanted a full face mask that fit, and didn't want to have to spend a boatload of money on it. So, I have waited two weeks, and called so many times...

And the Respiratory Therapist came out today, put it all together. did her sneaky majic setting the controls, and I finally got my Jedi fighter pilot mask, and then she wants $212. WTH? She insists my insurance now, DOES NOT, cover this 100%.

I paid, but now I am in $250 for my neighbor's S10, and $212 from this. I am now wondering if I should have just let her leave and gone amd bought a mask ony own.

I just feel like I can't win with my insurance company and my sleep Dr.

I hope I get the sleep of my life tonight with the new mask...
Post Reply Post Reply
Well you paid over 100% of the cost of a full face mask out of pocket, so just what was covered? File a complaint with your insurance and include copies of your receipt. If you were double billed then you may have a legal case. Do an internet search for "Health insurance double billing".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2018, 06:03 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: I paid, but now I am in $250 for my neighbor's S10, and $212 from this.  I am now wondering if I should have just let her leave and gone amd bought a mask ony own.

I agree with Sleeprider: IIWY I would pursue that, especially if your prescription specifies a mask and especially if it also gives an HCPCS code for it, for instance "A7030 Full-face mask". If it's on the Rx, the DME shouldn't be charging you for it.

"Don't pay that upcharge!", thanks to archangle's page of links at http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ngle:Links

But there are also a few consolations, if you'll pardon a "Look on the bright side" comment (I know those are often annoying).  You did get a used A10 Autoset for $250, which is a good deal.  You'll presumably be getting better sleep.  And you're learning by doing, as you go along.

Richard Feynman:  "...  I'll never make that mistake again, reading the experts' opinions.  Of course, you only live one life: you make all your mistakes and learn what not to do, and that's the end of you."

Ozzy Osbourne:  "The thing about life that gets me crazy is that by the time you learn it all, it's too late to deal with it.  It should be the other way around: we should be born with all this sense and knowledge, and then get stupider as we get older."

(How's that for an odd couple? From opposite ends of the spectrum, kinda.)

I've bought machines & masks & supplies out-of-pocket and it is a bite, but the way I look at it is that I immediately write it off, speaking figuratively (I'm much too poor to do any of that stuff with tax-deduction itemizing), chalk it up to experience, because good sleep (including REM sleep, for a change!) is so much more important than the money.  Anything that works is worth it, and I'm just thankful that this stuff isn't like needing a dialysis machine or an iron lung.  I have a couple of masks that I might never use again, or rarely at best, and I know I'll be buying at least one or two more that I hope will be keepers, to be used all the time, but if those are lemons also, then oh well and that's how it goes.

According to your sidebar you also have a P10, so if you're up for this you might consider writing a review of some sort in the "Mask Reviews" forum about how the full-face mask (make & model?) compares to that, how you rate each of them, and about any problems you've had with them.  Just a thought; there's never any obligation.  Even purely anecdotal & subjective stuff about masks is often worth reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks y'all. I just looked up the cost of what I got...about $110. Sad

But, live and learn. I really like the look of this mask and it is the kind I got good sleep with at my split study. So, we will see. And, I definitely am calling my insurance company tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
P.S. I was sort of getting used to the P10, so I will write a comparison after I try my Rolls Royce priced mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2018, 06:54 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Ozzy Osbourne:  "The thing about life that gets me crazy is that by the time you learn it all, it's too late to deal with it.  It should be the other way around: we should be born with all this sense and knowledge, and then get stupider as we get older."

That's funny because Ozzy did get stupider the older he got.   Laugh-a-lot
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup NOTICE: 4 New Monitors now on Staff! SuperSleeper 8 300 2 hours ago
Last Post: Homerec130
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 207 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to Diagnosis. Looking for advice and have concerns re: my data bitteroblivion 4 177 04-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,737 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 283 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 241 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.