Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand New - Hope to Get a CPAP Today
Brand New - Hope to Get a CPAP Today
First, Thanks for all the work that makes this board possible. I have been a forum administrator for years so I know the huge amount of work it takes.

I had a Sleep test on a torture rack at a sleep center 18 months ago and was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I am surprised I even slept.

This week I did an in-home test and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with 40 events per hour. I have no idea how bad that is since I am just learning. As I understand it, the sleep center prescribed an auto CPAP. I go this week (today if I can speed it up) to look at equipment from a local supplier.

I have Medicare as primary insurance and Government Blue Cross for a secondary. From my limited online research, I have zeroed in on the ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet or the Phillips Respironics DreamStation Auto. The latter looks smaller and quieter. I also think I would like to try the DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask. I had one patient tell me that every time you open your mouth you wake up with air rushing our your mouth if you use a nasal device rather than a full mask.

Any input on any of this? Feel free to tell me I am full of crap on CPAP Rolleyes As I said I am a newbie.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brand New - Hope to Get a CPAP Today
Two good choices for a machine. Yes, opening one's mouth during sleep causes loss of therapy pressure; and is an issue for some people.
If it's a problem then people add a chin strap to help keep the mouth closed. Or, go to a mask that covers both the nose and mouth. (That was my choice.)

Since Medicare is your primary, you will rent to own the machine for 13 months. You have to show some level of compliance. I don't recall the numbers for compliance, it's early on the left coast. The main thing is to use it.

Welcome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed and Respironics auto machines are comparable in quality, quiet operation and effectiveness. There are slight differences in the way they increase and decrease pressure in response to sensors that detect obstruction. One of the biggest differences is that the Resmed is 24 volts and the Respironics operates on 12 volt power. If you ever plan to include battery operation, the Philips Respironics wins. Without that, I'd call it a tie.

I started from day one with nasal therapy, mostly nasal pillows like the Resmed Airfit P10. The pressure applies directly to the nostrils and opens up your airway, even if there is congestion. I have used nasal therapy in sickness and health through the years with no problems. Even if you currently have a tendency to breath through your mouth, nasal therapy can work well. Check out the reviews for the Dreamwear and Airfit pillows systems on the site. In general, people like the Dreamwear head gear and swivel at the top for keeping the hose out of the way. The Airfit wins on being very quiet and not moving / leaking as much.

Sounds like you've done some research and are well prepared...good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Tiercel. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

I just switched from a nasal mask to the P10 nasal pillows last month. If you have your tongue at the back of your mouth when you open your mouth while wearing the nasal pillows, no air comes out of your mouth. I've experimented with breathing while my mouth is open. So long as I keep my tongue back, no air at all comes out of my mouth. I can even drink water without removing the nasal pillows.

You do have to be able to use your tongue to block air from rushing out of your mouth while sleeping in order to use a nasal mask or nasal pillows effectively. Lots of people end up using a chin strap with their mask in order to achieve this. The chin strap "reminds" your jaw not to fall forward and your mouth not to fall open when you're in a deep stage of sleep.

There are two kinds of mouth leaks that you can have with these masks. One is what's called a "large leak". That's when air is rushing out of your mouth. A leak this large will compromise therapy effective if it happens very often, since the CPAP machine can't maintain treatment pressure.

Another type of leak is often called "lip leaking" or "mouth leaking". This type of leak consists of little puffs of air escaping from your lips, usually while you're sleeping. It's not desirable, but I'm not sure how much it affects therapy. I am seeing some instances of "lip leaking" on my SleepyHead graphs, but so far I have put off trying a chin strap.

I'm a big fan of the nasal pillows. They put minimal "stuff" on my face, and they are hard to dislodge. No leaking from the interface between the pillows and my nostrils.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,
I use the P10 pillows and a chin strap. At first I had mouth leaks but in time I trained myself to keep my big mouth shut.

I am now at the point where I can yawn and take a separate breath through my mouth with interruption. (At pressure under approx. 9) As long as I keep that yawn under 10 seconds, I should hot record an apnea. Still trying tO learn to talk with therapy.

Good luck.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Tiercel,
If you are a mouth breather, you can still effectively use a nasal pillow mask if you learn how to control your tongue when sleeping. You may also need a chin strap, but if you learn this technique, you will be able to ditch the chin strap in time.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth. Such upwards gently, your tongue will form a seal at the back of your throat, and no air escapes if your jaw happens to drop. With a chin strap, your are training your jaw/mouth to stay in place.
This takes some practice, but can be achieved in a short period of time.

I can open my mouth and no air comes out. I have also mastered being able to talk with this technique.

Good luck in choosing a mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is also myself that has a problem exhaling into pressure so I cannot use anything but a full face mask. You will be experiencing many things that you do not have any way to relate to, it's all new. I suggest that if you are having problems with anything, come and check with us to help figure out what it might be that is causing it. You may just have to get used to it or there may be a setting you can change or different equipment that may help you.

Hang in there, you can get there and learn to love CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tiercel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The machines you mentioned are comparable, so either one you choose will be good.
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask as a backup. They are kindof leaky and noisy, but very comfy, especially if you have pad-a-cheek wraps (my DME automatically includes them when I'm at their office). Both machines you are looking at are top-of-the-line and are quiet. If you find yours is making noise, and it's not the hose or your mask, bring your machine back and get another one. These suckers are SILENT!

Use distilled water (cheap stuff from the grocery store) to prevent mineral buildup in your humidifier. Make sure you tell them that you will want to use a heated hose most times. It's a better quality hose. For the non-heated hose, it's really hard to get the supplier to otherwise give you the brand name - they give you a cheaper hose. It works, but it tends to be less flexible and noisy when it rubs on something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the input. I am not sure I am typically a mouth breather when sleeping but I know I have at times had an open mouth, especially when congested or sleeping sitting up in a chair. I will likely try some style of nasal device and work from that direction rather than starting at the other end. I am sure you will being hearing more from me.

Thanks again guys!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 816 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  [Treatment] Change to BIPAP vauto in hope for better therapy Dave Water 41 2,938 05-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  what's the best pricing to hope for Resmed 11 Dave W 3 485 03-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 581 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.