Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale.
Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale.
I received a brand new ResMed AirCurve 10 bi-PAP machine about 4 weeks ago after a sleep study with titration indicated a better response to switch to this type of therapy.

I can tell an improvement in my sleep quality BUT it has a terrible whistling sound on the inhale cycle.  I am generally able to fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.  I have ambient noise when retiring as I listen to a news program and even though the whistling is very prevalent, the program tends to mask it somewhat.  But I am so tired and looking forward to sleep that I am out generally within 20-30 minutes tops.

The problem is if I wake up to make a bathroom run.  I do not put on any type of talk program at that time when returning to bed and the whistling noise is awful!  I am able to dampen the noise with a towel, regular pillow and topped with a memory foam pillow.  This attenuates most of the sounds but the pitch is of the higher frequencies and it is still somewhat noticeable.  I will admit to a sensitivity to any sound because where I live in the boonies that it is truly dead silent; I will wake to the slightest noise disturbance.

The whistling noise is internal to the machine and not the same noise that one may experience when the seals of a reservoir do not mate properly... I know that noise and this current problem is not that.

For those who use a bi-pap machine, is this a normal noise or should I be reaching out to the manufacturer?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale.
Bumping this up...

No one here has  a bi-pap machine?  Surely I am not the only one with a bi-pap!  <sarcasm>
Can someone let be know if this whistling noise is normal for a bi-pap machine?

My previous two cpap machines were perfectly silent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed has had problems with noisy "pneumatic blocks" or the motor. It is louder on the inhale cycle because the machine ramps up pressure for IPAP. Resmed has covered replacement of the motor or machine under warranty. Did you obtain this through an authorized supplier? The motor is replaceable using one that is for all intents, identical from AliExpress. There are videos and some threads of people doing this, usually with older machines. Let me know if you have a warranty to pursue, and if you must DIY, I'll get you pointed the right direction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I returned a brand new a10 to my DME because it made that same noise. They made the exchange to another new one. The person told me I’m not the first to report and exchange a unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same experience with my first AirCurve, used about a month, before making that sound.

I returned it to the DME, and it was replaced with a new machine, which has been blessedly quiet.   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,505 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,170 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  jagged inhale--machine malfunction? mayalass 7 504 10-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  Woke up with pain on every inhale tactics 5 719 04-21-2023, 02:44 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  Jolting awake with sharp inhale, a solution McPhearson99 0 568 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: McPhearson99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.