Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand new, and I have several questions/concerns
RE: Brand new, and I have several questions/concerns
(12-11-2017, 11:46 PM)stormylexi Wrote: SleepyHead says I haven't had any large leaks with my mask, but I also know it's kind of guessing. And I'm still working on deciphering all of the information on it haha.

From memory, it is not guessing.  Large leaks are reported by the machines.  The machines identify a large leak as when they are not able to maintain therapy pressure.  To respond to leaks the machines increase the airflow to maintain pressure.  Large leaks are when they can no longer sufficiently increase airflow.
Post Reply Post Reply
The results on CPAP 9 look very good. If I were you, I'd wait until I talked to my health care provider before changing settings...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2017, 10:16 PM)stormylexi Wrote: Now, on to my actual questions.

- Since I have not had my titration study, and my doctor (as per his assistant, at least) won't change my prescription without being able to bill for an office visit, and I can't have an office visit until I complete other tasks he wants done, why the HECK am I not on auto-pap? 

You don't really need your prescription changed as you already have an Auto Cpap.  Order the Clinicians manual (link at top of page.)  I would not be afraid to change to Auto Mode if you wanted to try it.  You can always change it back to Cpap mode.  If results prove to be a little better and you feel good, then your doctor should not object.  If results are not as good, just switch back to Cpap mode.  As with any changes, give it time to work.  One or two days does not make a trend.

- Even though my sleep study summary says I didn't have any central apneas, is it possible I still do? Because I have problems with it while I'm awake, let alone I can imagine when I'm asleep. And my machine's data is saying I'm having clear airway apneas.

It's sometimes normal when first starting out to see a few Central apneas.  What exactly does your data say as far as Clear Airways?

- Are they even looking at my machine data over the modem card since I'm not a compliance patient? If I change it to APAP..... am I gonna get yelled at by the CPAP police and made to give my machine back?

I doubt they are looking at your data.  If they are, it's probably to check compliance.  That has nothing to do with pressure settings.  They may not be happy if you change to Apap mode, but it's your therapy.  Just try to maintain a happy medium with your doctor.  

When I first started, I was prescribed a Cpap setting of 9 also.  I changed it with the help here to Auto Cpap, and showed my Doctor that the results were much improved.  He didn't seem to care after that.  The only reason I can think that your doctor may want you to stay on Cpap mode is due to the possibility of Central Apneas.  This should be discussed with him/her when you have your appointment.  And no, they can't take your machine back based on pressure changes.  They can take it back if not meeting compliance, but you said that your insurance didn't require compliance.

I have all of the data for the last 4 nights from SleepyHead on imgur if anyone needs it. As soon as I am permitted to post links....

You should not have problems posting data.  If you do, just leave a space in the link, like h ttp instead of http.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Change your machine to auto CPAP mode and use the range of 8 minimum 12 maximum suggested by Deepbreathing. Those are conservative settings and will give you a pretty good shot at resolving the hypopnea and obstructive apnea remaining in your current therapy. Most of us on the forum control our own settings, and the data from Sleepyhead will allow you to get very good coaching on optimizing the therapy. In fact most people here get far better results with self-titrated settings than with a sleep study.

Get a copy of the Dreamstation Auto clinical manual at the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of the page, and take control of your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stormylexi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 78 4 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,480 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 440 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 395 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.