Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand new here and in need of HELP
Ohmy 
Brand new here and in need of HELP
Hello, all fellow sleep apnea people! 

I JUST started using my CPAP last week (full mask), and after three nights of a leaky mask and pure misery, I finally got it on tight enough (the data report said that, anyway). Despite that, my "events per hour" number has gone UP over the last three nights. I'm hoping someone here can help me understand what's going on...I talked with the CPAP "coaches" last week when I was having problems, but they were marginally helpful, if at all. I'm going in for foot surgery tomorrow morning (24 hours from now), and they want me to bring the CPAP for the recovery room, but frankly, I think it's making my apnea worse. I also won't be able to be up and about (e.g. to go to a doctor's appointment) for 3-7 days after that.

Main question: Is 37 "events" per hour a lot? When I did my sleep test (at a lab), the guy said I was having 18+ per hour, and that seemed high to me, but 37?! Really?? And I feel like my head is getting foggier and foggier during the day. This doesn't feel right. 

Any advice would be welcomed. I'm desperate at this point. 

Thanks-
MorningGirl
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brand new here and in need of HELP
I know your probably busy getting ready for tomorrow. If you have time please download the software SleepyHead and post a chart here. The links for the software and instructions on how to post are just below. If you don't have time than about all I can tell you is to stick with it. Your better off with the CPAP then without. You'll be in a hospital setting and they will be monitoring you. So I wouldn't worry about any problems from the CPAP.
However once you get back home and on your feet I recommend going through all the links below and posting a chart.

Good luck with the surgery!

Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MorningGirl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might ask to try different masks, 'till you find which one works well for you. The mask is the hardest part of this therapy, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones.
I hope your surgery goes well.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is 37 a lot? Yes, but it won't kill you between now and a week from now.
We know something needs to be changed, but without the sleepyhead data we have no way to tell what needs to be changed.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sure would help to know what kind of events make up that 37 events per hour. If they are obstructive and hypopnea, that would surprise me, but CPAP can deal with that. If the events are central (CA), then you may have severe treatment emergent central apnea and most likely will require a different solution. I suspect that is the case.

For your recovery room I recommend you inform your anesthesiologist that you are using CPAP treatment that is new to you, and is not reliable. You should be monitored during recovery. I would actually suggest that you be provided an oxygen canula an stay away from CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to all who have responded! 

Surgery went well (I told them about the CPAP stuff, including that it was new and not working for me, and they did not use it in the recovery room). I have put in multiple calls to the CPAP support people and also to my sleep doc, who should be calling me back today (I will persevere with that until I get through!). CPAP support is of marginal help, so I've got myself on a waitlist for a home visit (I'm stuck indoors in a handicapped-accessible hotel for the next 6 weeks, as I live in a third-floor walk-up apartment). I want someone knowledgeable to actually SEE me with the mask on, SEE the machine and the settings and everything, and SEE whether the pressure is working properly. 

I did not sleep at all last night, except for the occasional nod-off, and I kept the mask on for five hours. I felt NO changes in pressure (though I did feel my throat close when I was dozey), and got a report of 11 "events per hour." WHAT?!  Huhsign

I could not download Sleepyhead, as this is my work computer (a loaner, and my only one), and the security on it won't let me download the software. I'm on disability/medical leave, so no access to IT help. Quite frustrating!

I will ask the sleep doc about central vs. obstructive sleep apnea. That sounds crucial!

Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes regarding my surgery and for your sleep support. I'll keep at it!

-Chrissy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,594 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 428 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 602 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 476 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 507 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,498 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 445 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.