Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand new, stressing and can't wait
Brand new, stressing and can't wait
Hello. I took a home test last week and my nurse called to tell me I was diagnosed with "severe sleep apnea" and that sooner rather than later I needed to make an appointment with the lab for a follow-up test and fitting for a mask. They said the doc put an "ASAP" note on the file for the lab. But wouldn't you know it's going to take 2 weeks before I can get in! I can't believe these labs must be that busy but I guess they are.

Anyway the "severe" and "ASAP" stuff, along with all of the morbid warnings on the internet have me slightly freaked out.

I suppose if it was bad enough they'd have me in right away and I suppose 2 more weeks after what might be years of apnea issues isn't a big deal.

I've heard some great stories from a growing list of people I know who use the CPAP machines so I'm eager and excited to get to work!

I hope things go well in the meantime and I look forward to using the site.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brand new, stressing and can't wait
Welcome

Sometimes they really do do things fast... My son who has extremely severe OSA had a machine the next day after the doc looked at his report. They skipped the titration study and went straight to APAP.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2016, 12:23 AM)Midniterider Wrote: Anyway the "severe" and "ASAP" stuff, along with all of the morbid warnings on the internet have me slightly freaked out.

look at it this way, you're no different than you were the day before you decided to take the test. you weren't afraid of dropping dead suddenly then, so why freak out now?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang tough and don't freak-out. Go to bed every night for the next two weeks and dream about just how much improvement in your quality of life that the CPAP therapy is going to make. Sorta like, looking forward to getting a new bike at Christmas in two weeks..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
After my original diagnosis of severe sleep apnea, it was also two weeks before the cpap machine was delivered to my house. Make sure, if possible, that all of your questions are answered by the DME or the person who delivers the machine. In my case, the agent for the DME delivered the machine to my house, set it up and said "Now you're good to go." Never mind how to take the hose, mask apart for cleaning and putting machine back together again. The DME works for you and ask any questions you need to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Around here two weeks is fast, the sleep centers here are booked for 2+ months. Make sure they know you can be available if someone cancels, I got in quick that way, but they will call late in the afternoon and ask if you can be in by 7PM.

Read up on machine types, look at the masks on the sites in the supplier list at the top. Check out the threads about adjusting the comfort settings and how to manage the hose.

Your in the right place, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same where I live, sleep center is always booked up. Had to wait for 3 weeks for study, and then waited a month for the titration. From there another two weeks for doc to read and send script.

Midniterider,
Hang in there, mabye they do things quicker in your part of the world. Smile

In the meantime, stay off your back if possible, and sleep on your side.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the responses. It really does help to read them. Now that I think back, it seems like the past year or so has been worse for me. Daytime fatigue, feel like a major fog machine in the mornings and waking up if/when I'm able to nap with some pretty rousing snore action.

The anxiety of being diagnosed is actually the worst part. So I'll grin and bear it until I can get the machine.

It's also a blessing that my current job allows me to work from home so I'm able to get in a snooze if needed - even if it isn't a deep one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Midniterider,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success as you start your CPAP journey.
Just hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Midniterider,
Would love to hear how you went getting your machine? Hope it went well and you're feeling the benefits.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 581 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 496 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,435 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 434 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.