Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand newbie who is a little skeptical
RE: Brand newbie who is a little skeptical
jorque.
The sensor for the SO2 is in the finger. About your low O2 level, I want to tell you that the first affected, because low O2 levels, are your brain cells. You must think about that very carefully and change your state of mind about the machine, mask and all the paraphernalia. They are really bad to get use to them, but reading your post I suspect that you got a very strong will, and if you focus in the benefits, and you are really convince that you need it, you will do it.
I agree with your Dr.: Is up to you, and I hope that you will make the best decision for you and your family.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback, . I'm traveling right now, but will update my profile, ASAP. But this initial advice is great. Appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Updated my profile, next step is to get access to more detailed reporting (right now, getting the MyAir updates which seem pretty basic.
Post Reply Post Reply
jorke

Try to use sleepyhead soft. Go to the soft forum find the link, download it and begin the fun. Welcome to your new world. Oh-jeez
The information in sleepy head is really nice. Sleepyhead works very nice with your machine ( I got the same machine).
Good luck.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was using an app on my phone to record my snoring before and after CPAP. Amazing what the difference is, and I'm not waking nearly as often. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 06:16 AM)Jorke Wrote: Updated my profile, next step is to get access to more detailed reporting (right now, getting the MyAir updates which seem pretty basic.

Hi Jorke, Welcome to Apnea Board!
MyAir is ok, but won't give you the detailed information you need to succeed.
Here is a link to SleepyHead software and a guide.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Jorke. I don't know what kind of detail you got from your home sleep study, but one thing you might want to find out is if it divided your AHI numbers by sleep position (on your back vs. on your side or stomach) and by sleep stage (REM vs. non-REM).

Almost everyone who has sleep apnea finds that it's worse when they sleep on their back. For many people, but not for all, it's also worse during REM sleep.

If your home sleep study didn't give you this information, and you are able to do a lab sleep study with EEG, that could give you some good information.

If it turned out that your apneas are happening mostly or only when you sleep on your back AND they are not worse during REM sleep, then you might be able to avoid the need for CPAP by sleeping only on your side.

You could then get a pulse oximeter like the Contec CMS-50I to check your blood O2 levels at home just to be on the safe side. The data from that particular model can be imported into the SleepyHead software. There are other pulse oximeters that report their data to your smartphone. The type with a fingertip probe that plugs into the pulse ox itself is much more comfortable than the ones where the entire pulse oximeter attaches to your finger like a giant clothespin.

I agree with the other posters who've said that your O2 levels are more worrisome than your AHI.

When I had my diagnostic sleep study, my AHI when sleeping on my side AND in non-REM sleep was under 2. (Yay!) Unfortunately, my AHI during REM sleep was over 70, so no way for me to avoid apnea events just by sleeping on my side. Annoyed-and-disappointed

Regarding the problem of CPAP disturbing your sleep when you first start using it, it does do that for most people. It's a big desensitization process. You have to get used to the feel of the mask on your face as well as to learn how to change sleep positions without knocking the mask out of place so that it leaks.

There's also the sound of the CPAP machine itself. I think it just takes some time for your brain to decide that the machine isn't something to be alarmed about. When you reach that point, your brain will start to filter out the sound from the CPAP machine, and you'll start to notice that it sounds very quiet rather than loud like it did when you first started using it.

If you feel like you need more data before you're able to decide exactly what you need to do about the apnea events and O2 desaturations that showed up in your home sleep study, I encourage you to have a formal in-lab sleep study and maybe also to buy a pulse oximeter for home use.

What I would NOT encourage you to do is to stop using the CPAP machine because you're not sure you have sleep apnea. If you're not sure, then please try to get more data.

Welcome to Apnea Board. Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 381 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.